• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sharpey
  • Start date Start date
Haletown said:
Well according to John Ivison on today's Media Panel on Power & Politics, the real reason Harper wants this plane is he has figured out the future geopolitical chess board and has determined Canada needs an aircraft with First Strike ability so that 30 years from now we can take out Chinese aircraft carriers.

I am not sure who is smarter.  PM Harper for divining that future scenario or Mr. Ivison for figuring out PM Harper's secret game plan.

They always said he has a secret agenda.

Now we know.

That is exactly the sort of media crap i'm talking about.  Not just Ivison, but I also read a piece which broke down the percentages for which we've used our aircraft for different missions.  I think it was in the National Post, but the idea was that since we've never been the ones to do those risky 1st strikes against the hard targets, we don't need the capability.  It went on to say that basically that's the job of the Americans and we should hide under their skirt and only toss out the odd kick to the shins.

We need all of the options on the plane simply because we have no idea which options will prove critical next decade, next year or even next week.  I'm old enough to remember all about how we didn't need those fancy F18s either and now here we are with no hard replacement date still flying them 30 years later.  Good thing we didn't go to the US yard sale and grab a few F4 Phantoms or maybe grab a sweet deal on Alpha Jets. 

exabedtech said:
We need all of the options on the plane simply because we have no idea which options will prove critical next decade, next year or even next week.

But, can we afford to do that ?

We can spend the country into fiscal oblivion trying to have everything we might need.

CDN Aviator said:

We can spend the country into fiscal oblivion trying to have everything we might need.

That is true, but that is not what is happening.  Canada spends a pitifully small amount on Defense. The  F 35 purchase is within the current DND funding envelope.  We need new aircraft to replace the CF 18 and assuming the F-35 can be delivered by LockMart in a reasonable time frame at currently projected prices the program will not come within howitzer range of fiscal oblivion.

We are talking about $750 million per year for this capability.  The Federal Government farts $750 million annually on numerous useless activities, so fiscal oblivion is not going to happen as a result of acquiring the F-35 or any other modern multirole aircraft.

Well, except in CBC land where the F 35 will cost $1.5 trillion and that would be fiscal oblivion, or at least you could see it from there.

Haletown said:

Well, except in CBC land where the F 35 will cost $1.5 trillion and that would be fiscal oblivion, or at least you could see it from there.

CBC land is not the a$$hole of the world; but you can see it from there.  >:D

CDN Aviator said:

Are you going to be as up in arms when the cost finally start coming out for the JSS and all those new ships? I have a feeling the ship building contract is going to eclipse quite readily the cost of the F-35 or whatever replacement fighter aircraft we purchase.

We could always go buy some used aircraft/ships from another country at a discount because they aren't being used, that hasn't bitten us on the ass before....

Kirkhill said:
That's beneath you mate.

I don't think you would accept that kind of gratuitous commentary from others when they disagree with your positions.

Cheers, Chris.

Who said I disagreed with his position?  Just commenting on the thread...the thread...the thread...the thread...the thread...the thread...

RDJP said:
Isn't there a rule on this site against personal attacks?

Where was the personal attack?

Man, you jet fighter fans are a touchy lot.  Guess I'll go back the the Army threads.

Are you going to be as up in arms when the cost finally start coming out for the JSS and all those new ships? I have a feeling the ship building contract is going to eclipse quite readily the cost of the F-35 or whatever replacement fighter aircraft we purchase. "

You mean like the original Tribal Class, CPF, Rucksack, CASW, Cyclone, F-35? ...

Wouldn't you be?????

This may sound radical, but I feel that it has merit.

Background. President Harry Truman rose to prominence in the 40's chairing a board that went after wartime profiteers.

Now, I know that this is a stretch and am confident that no corporation selling to the government would even dream of thinking of doing what those nasty people at Enron, or Bear Stearns did.

OTOH, because we live in an imperfect world, maybe, just maybe it might be an idea to bring back such an institution, just to quiet down radicals like the media party, CBC, taxpayers

I'm sure  it would be redundant and could be quickly dissolved.

OTOH, the current situation might be like the fox watching the henhouse.

Let me put this another way, if you live in Ontario how do you feel about the E-health mess.

Don't get me wrong I feel that the Forces should have the best equipment avail for the dangerous roles they perform.

It just gets to me that what is perceived as a badly flawed process seems to be status quo.

When we apply this to the US it seems a very strategic liability.

The only flaw of the process is that 17 different government departments are pissed that they didn't have their fingers in the pie of the F-35. If its DND procurement, only DND with some PWGSC oversight needs to be involved. This whole "F-35 Fiasco" is manufactured outrage just like the Robocalls issue, because we haven't signed a damned contract yet. We intend to purchase the F-35, for the stated price in the SOI. If its too expensive, we're going to have to settle for a 4th Gen fighter and deal with it.

Could you format your posts properly, Kalatzi? It looks like you're just throwing random sentences on a page. It's called a paragraph, they're useful at conveying intelligent thought.

Kalatzi said:
Are you going to be as up in arms when the cost finally start coming out for the JSS and all those new ships? I have a feeling the ship building contract is going to eclipse quite readily the cost of the F-35 or whatever replacement fighter aircraft we purchase. "

You mean like the original Tribal Class, CPF, Rucksack, CASW, Cyclone, F-35? ...

Wouldn't you be?????

This may sound radical, but I feel that it has merit.

Background. President Harry Truman rose to prominence in the 40's chairing a board that went after wartime profiteers.

Now, I know that this is a stretch and am confident that no corporation selling to the government would even dream of thinking of doing what those nasty people at Enron, or Bear Stearns did.

OTOH, because we live in an imperfect world, maybe, just maybe it might be an idea to bring back such an institution, just to quiet down radicals like the media party, CBC, taxpayers

I'm sure  it would be redundant and could be quickly dissolved.

OTOH, the current situation might be like the fox watching the henhouse.

Let me put this another way, if you live in Ontario how do you feel about the E-health mess.

Don't get me wrong I feel that the Forces should have the best equipment avail for the dangerous roles they perform.

It just gets to me that what is perceived as a badly flawed process seems to be status quo.

When we apply this to the US it seems a very strategic liability.

You are one step from a full Ban. I'll warn you one time. If you post one more incoherent post, you're gone.

Milnet.ca Staff

You are one step from a full Ban. I'll warn you one time. If you post one more incoherent post, you're gone. "

If you post one more incoherent post, you're gone."

RG - Harsh, but hey those are the rules

Alea Jacta Est.

Don't care for what I have to say????? Ok.

How about this. Reproduced under the fair dealings provision of the  copyright act from  huffington post

Peter Worthington, (My comment, MEH, what another liberal sympathizer!!!!)

The F-35: Actual Cost? $148 Million. Political Cost? Priceless.

"The irony in the whole F-35 aircraft controversy is that no matter how good the strike aircraft may be, its full capacity will probably never be used by Canada.

The present CF-18 plane that it is supposed to replace was also never used to its full potential, although it shot up Libyan installations that never fired back. Before that, the CF-18 was used in Kosovo and for a few minutes in the first Gulf war.

But those weren't defensive uses of the aircraft but offensive, and to give the pilots a chance to use them in action. Cosmetic stuff, really, otherwise the aircraft would have gone through their whole life expectancy without seeing action.

Of course an effective military is a form of insurance policy, hopefully never needed.

But the monkey business over Canada committing (sort of) for the hugely expensive F-35s without competitive bids as "the only acceptable plane," stinks to high heaven.

If it's the "only acceptable plane," what's to fear from competitive bids?

Over-budgeted, over-advertised and underperforming, Auditor-General Michael Ferguson has taken aim at the whole business. He's clearly disgusted (but not surprised) that DND mislead, fibbed and withheld info from Defence Minister Peter MacKay, who's the one who should be really sore at DND. The public, too, has reason to be upset. DND always does this -- and no one ever is fired for it.

Now, apparently, decisions on the F-35 have been removed from DND and assigned to the Public Works Department. Does that make sense? If DND is untrustworthy, what in hell does Public Works know about strike aircraft and stealth characteristics?

How about a Treasury Board committee ruling on what's militarily acceptable and what isn't? More shame and embarrassment to DND fudgers. They brought it on themselves.

The air force loves complex strike aircrafts with state of the art technology, just as navy guys love the idea of submarines (even though no Canadian submarine has ever fired a torpedo in anger). The four second-hand subs the British persuaded us to buy in 1998, have had considerable difficulty going under water without leaking.

The 65 F-35s that we once thought we were pledged to purchase (until Associate Defence Minister Julian Fantino told the country no deal had yet been signed) were originally expected to cost $75 million each -- a record price -- but now may cost $150 million each. The cost elevator is still rising.

With the defence budget due to be progressively cut for the next few years, how can we afford the world's most expensive fighter aircraft whose full capabilities will never be needed, or even used?

The answer is that we can't afford it, without cutting some other expenditures.

Often cited is that the F-35 is needed to shadow Russian aircraft that intrude into our northern air space. There is no suggestion that the F-35s would ever shoot down a Russian plane, just watch and report to headquarters.

Most of those commenting on the merits and demerits of the F-35 haven't a clue about the plane's performance, other than what they've been told. That includes me, and the rest of media commentators. We rely on DND and the air force experts.

At least competitive bidding might have kept the price down, and opened the debate.

Now, if the F-35 is cancelled or downgraded, it will affect our aerospace industry and the job market. Other countries are already reexamining their commitments for the F-35 -- a one-engine,  aircraft that seems a curious choice for a country with as much land mass as Canada.

According to a CBC report, if Canada does get the F-35, the lifetime costs of maintaining it are expected to reach $1.5 trillion. And that cost will rise. It doesn't leave much to spend on the army, or helicopters, or equipment to keep our troops effective wherever their next assignment may be.

But it's par for the course in Canada.

One might remember that when our troops first went to Afghanistan they had the wrong type uniforms and insufficient Kevlar vests to protect the soldiers. Maybe with Public Works taking over some DND responsibilities, there'll be more thinking ahead? Maybe, but don't count on it."

and that's the tragedy of the situation.

Getting back to my previous point RG. 

You work for the Ontario Government.

I think my analogy about the e-health fubar is spot-on.

BTW  ONe of the posters on the littlle known thread military.com thought that a cost effective solutiion to defending Canadian populations centres from Tu-85 Bears was to bring back the CF-100 Canuck with new low drag rivets.

As my potentially utitmate flourish may I say that the moniker Lightning II is appropriate as the P-38 Lightning had a troubled track record as well.

Peter Worthington's post (you may have wanted to post a link to the Huffington Post where it originated) is the result of how the writer and/or editor chose to publish it. You are responsible for the words you choose to post here.

Because you tend towards incoherence at the best of times, you're one of the few people I have set to ignore, so I won't miss you whether you're banned or not. But please don't cite a blog to justify your abysmal posting style.

Thank you

link here http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/peter-worthington/f-35-spending_b_1403130.html?ref=canada-politics

PuckChaser said:
Are you going to be as up in arms when the cost finally start coming out for the JSS and all those new ships?

I didn't even say i was up in arms about the cost of the F-35.

exabedtech said:
We need all of the options on the plane simply because we have no idea which options will prove critical next decade, next year or even next week
Which is why we need an answer to this question first:
E.R. Campbell said:
Harry Swain hits the real question which, in so far as I can see, has never been addressed by the defence staff: why does Canada need this aircraft? We You They might get away with not having to address the question of why does Canada need front line, multi-role, manned jet fighters at all? for one more generation but I am about 99% certain that if I stopped an important cabinet minister, say Jim Flaherty or John Baird, and said "Why the F-35, Minister? What's the role?" neither could answer.
When you buy insurance/a house/a car, do you buy EVERYTHING you think you may need, or do you buy what you think you might reasonably need and that you can afford?

So I am trying to do some cost modelling to try and understand all the $ number floating around  . . . looking for some info from the knowledgeable folks . . .

How many flight hours per year are we putting on the current CF 18 fleet?

What number was used inside DND for expected flight hours per year in the post 2006 build up to the F 35 selection?

If anyone knows . . .  thnx in advance

It's not original data, but the OAG report said that the aircraft would last 36 years at projected usage.

drunknsubmrnr said:
It's not original data, but the OAG report said that the aircraft would last 36 years at projected usage.

Indeed . . .  that is what got me thinking.  The model the AG used and I think the one PBO used is based on years of ILS required.  More years, more cost, fewer years, fewer costs.

The IG had (I think) 288 flight hours per year over a projected 8000hr fatigue life limit.

I do not know how that 288 number came to be and if for example the annual flight hours in our CF 35 is 400 hrs they would fatigue out in 20 years.

That's 16 years of all the other costs the AG put into the "total" they came up with . . .  that's a lot of salaries, briefing room coffee and squadron bathroom toilet paper that won't be consumed.

The AG model may be perfectly accurate but it is a model, a cost projection based on a series of assumptions.

The other assumption is the cost per flight hour and that is another weird and whacky number  - actually numbers to figure out but I have a number of good sources on that one - the last couple of SAR reports have extensive coverage.

Working on it.

What's the number of hours flown by the CF-18 fleet? Individual per airframe hours probably wouldn't work since they're spread over a pool of 80-ish aircraft rather than 65 aircraft.

Slightly OT but how is projected attrition handled? If we "know" that x number of airframes are going to be needed in "y" years, how does that plug in to the costs? And how is amortisation of the written-off airframes handled?

drunknsubmrnr said:
What's the number of hours flown by the CF-18 fleet? Individual per airframe hours probably wouldn't work since they're spread over a pool of 80-ish aircraft rather than 65 aircraft.

Its not just how many hours the airframe accumulates, but how the aircraft is flown. For example, some types of missions would have caused more stress on the airframe compared to other missions. Or how the pilots flew the aircraft (when I was in Cold Lake USAF personnel commented that Canadian pilots flew a lot more aggressively then their pilots did).  Just a couple of factors that would also affect the airframes.

Back