• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fake mosque on Canadian Forces base in Alberta raises concerns for Muslim community

- Mosques are quite rare across the country. Training troops to recognize what one looks like, in a mock-up town we try to build as realistic as possible, is important.

- Did he ever consider that perhaps our troops need to know what it looks like so that IF they are engaged from a mosque, they don’t return fire and can extract themselves? And can practice tactics for extracting themselves without engaging a building that can’t be touched if the ROE say so?

- Did he ever consider that perhaps in a volatile theatre, our troops may need to quickly reach a mosque in order to protect the people inside? Or extract them to safety?

- If on foot patrol near a mosque, are there any customs or protocols that our troops should be familiar with so as to not offend the locals and be respectful?

Are there any customs or protocols that could potentially be mistaken for aggressive, that they should be aware of so as to not misinterpret something?
I believe - you vets from the Afghan conflict please correct me if I am wrong - is that if a mosque is being used to hide weapons and explosives, or is used as shelter by terrorist, insurgents etc they can lose that protection.

I reckon its a case by case situation, depending where you're at. Or to.

is that if a mosque is being used to hide weapons and explosives, or is used as shelter by terrorist, insurgents etc they can lose that protection.
I would say technically yes but I'd also guess that commanders may still really want to avoid the optics of attacking a mosque unless absolutely necessary.

Nice of the Ministers statement to throw the CAF under the bus going right to Islamophobia. Sure sends a message of trust down to your subordinates.
I don't think MNDs generally do much for CAF subordinates, but I think the current MND will be pretty quick to throw the CAF under the bus. That's par for the course with the PM as well.

Have I mentioned lately how nice it is to be retired, with a GAFF in the negative?
Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

I would say technically yes but I'd also guess that commanders may still really want to avoid the optics of attacking a mosque unless absolutely necessary.
Any video of troops shooting at a mosque - even if totally justified and in self defence - would be a PR nightmare.

The facts would be ignored, as they are being ignored here. The optics would be terrible, and it would quickly turn into something against Muslims 🤦🏼‍♂️

I wonder what would have happened had a doctor out hunting and stumbling on a mock up training village with a building bearing all the Geneva convention markings of an hospital gone to the CBC to say his feelings were hurt?

I wonder what would have happened had a doctor out hunting and stumbling on a mock up training village with a building bearing all the Geneva convention markings of an hospital gone to the CBC to say his feelings were hurt?
I think a better comparison might be, say, if a Pakistani or Saudi military training sim-village had what was clearly a Catholic or Anglican church analog there. Would anyone's feelings would be hurt? And would media be able to find 1) a person who was hurt, and 2) an organization having the same opinion as that person?

I think a better comparison might be, say, if a Pakistani or Saudi military training sim-village had what was clearly a Catholic or Anglican church analog there. Would anyone's feelings would be hurt? And would media be able to find 1) a person who was hurt, and 2) an organization having the same opinion as that person?
I've been in a mock up village that had a presumably Church of England church in it.

I've been in a mock up village that had a presumably Church of England church in it.
In Pakistan or Saudi Arabia? :D

True, no matter where you encountered it, you had the context, hence the (I'm guessing) lack of being offended.

... Instead of Contacting Base or Asking Questions, He Goes National About His Initial Feelings.” ...
He may have posted something on social media, where CBC actually took some initiative and spotted it & followed up.
... Any dirt to throw at the military, and you’re right on top of it…
(y)

He may have posted something on social media, where CBC actually took some initiative and spotted it & followed up.

If that's the case then Mahmoud Mourra has CBC and Stephen David Cook to thank for giving a dumb poorly thought-out social media post national coverage.

'Kindergarten-level lesson'
Farooq does not buy the argument that this kind of façade should be used in training soldiers what not to do — like attacking a religious institution.
"This is sort of a very well understood kindergarten-level lesson that everybody knows and understands. Why they would need to take the trouble of constructing a mosque … is beyond me."
I almost want to feel sorry for this guys lack of critical thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him upset about military vehicles and aircraft in the area upsetting and hurting the Elk (before he can kill them).

In Pakistan or Saudi Arabia? :D

True, no matter where you encountered it, you had the context, hence the (I'm guessing) lack of being offended.
Fort Knox Kentucky. Christian Church style. Was weird because they were blasting a Muslim prayers throughout the scenario. Plus they had a school (Think of the Children!)

If that's the case then Mahmoud Mourra has CBC and Stephen David Cook to thank for giving a dumb poorly thought-out social media post national coverage.
The magic (and the curse) of social media, right?

I almost want to feel sorry for this guys lack of critical thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him upset about military vehicles and aircraft in the area upsetting and hurting the Elk (before he can kill them).
It’s because of dumb dips**** like this that people considered cancelling air shows 🤦🏼‍♂️

Please just go back to shooting animals in the face, Mr. Selectively Religious.

Unless CBC is sending you a consulting royalty, they don’t need any help in finding useless things to make a big deal about…

Back