• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fake mosque on Canadian Forces base in Alberta raises concerns for Muslim community

I believe - you vets from the Afghan conflict please correct me if I am wrong - is that if a mosque is being used to hide weapons and explosives, or is used as shelter by terrorist, insurgents etc they can lose that protection.

I reckon its a case by case situation, depending where you're at. Or to.
Any protected item/person loses that protection when it/they start doing things that nullify the protection.

So if a Sunni blows up a Shia Mosque is it still Islamophobia or just "their culture"?
That used to be the daily occurrence in Iraq.

I would say technically yes but I'd also guess that commanders may still really want to avoid the optics of attacking a mosque unless absolutely necessary.
Rule #1 as a ground force guy -- always blame the Air Force ;)

I believe - you vets from the Afghan conflict please correct me if I am wrong - is that if a mosque is being used to hide weapons and explosives, or is used as shelter by terrorist, insurgents etc they can lose that protection.

I reckon its a case by case situation, depending where you're at. Or to.

In a nutshell, and speaking from professional training in this, essentially, yes. Religious places enjoy significant protections under both conventional and customary international humanitarian law. But, that presupposes that their nature is respected by belligerents and not used for military purposes. However…

I would say technically yes but I'd also guess that commanders may still really want to avoid the optics of attacking a mosque unless absolutely necessary.

I’m less qualified to speak to this, but I think so.

Back