• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (retired members)

Vern

I want to pass on my condolonces and am sure that you are in many of our thoughts and prayers in your time of grief

Steve

I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss Vern.  Safe home to your Dad and strength to you and your family.

Chris.

Sgt  Schultz said:
FRAME (Sheffar), Trudy Elaine - Elmsdale, passed away Saturday, December 8, 2007, in her home after a battle with cancer. Born in Saint John, N.B., she was a daughter of Darrell Sheffar and Elaine (Atkinson) MacDonald. Trudy, with 23 years service in the Canadian Forces, served in the Middle East, Golan Heights in 1990-1991 out of CFB Cornwallis where she met her husband Burt and a tour in Bosnia-Herzegovina with 2 Royal Canadian Regiment, CFB Gagetown. She did an adventure training trip in Cameroon, Africa, where she assisted in putting water lines into nearby villages. She was a very ambitious woman who enjoyed helping people, loved her friends and loved life. Trudy is survived by her husband, Burton Frame; son, Jeffrey; daughter, Courtney; stepmother, Irene Sheffar; brother, Mark Sheffar and wife Jodi; nephews, Aedan, Benjamin; brother, Stephen Sheffar and wife Brenda; nephews, Daegan and Chase; many aunts, uncles, sisters in-law, brothers in-law; nieces and nephews and cousins; maternal grandmother, Jean Atkinson. She was predeceased by her paternal grandparents and maternal grandfather. Visitation 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. with Legion memorial service 7 p.m. Thursday in Ettinger Funeral Home, 2812 Main St., Shubenacadie, with funeral service 11 a.m. Friday in Elmsdale Baptist Church, 512 Highway 2, Enfield, Pastor Michael Trites officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Canadian Cancer Society. Cancer is a very terrible disease that took so much from her and her family, please donate to your local cancer society. E-mail condolences to: ettingerfuneralhome@hotmail.com

The Halifax Herald Limited

This is what I get for not loging on so often, I didn't know her but Burt and I go waaay back.  If anyone out there sees Burt, let him know that Derek sends his warmest regards and deepest sympathies.  Vern: my deepest and warmest regards on your loss.
I will try to contact thru other means.
:salute:

MWO Al Stever PPCLI

STEVER - The passing of Joseph Alphonse Stever, age 71 years, of Saskatoon occurred on May 9, 2008. He is lovingly survived by his wife, Karin; daughter, Nicole (Terry) Bonner; son Alexander Stever; grandchildren: Trevor and Laura; sisters: Helen Pelletiere, Sylvia (Cyr) Lavigne; numerous nieces and nephews. Prayer Service will be held on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 7:00 pm with Funeral Mass on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 10:30 am. Both services will be held at St. Patrick Parish, 3339 Centennial Dr., Saskatoon, with Fr. Kevin McKee as celebrant. In lieu of flowers, Memorial donations may be directed to World Vision, 1 World Dr., Mississauga, Ontario L5T 2Y4. Arrangements are in care of MARTENS WARMAN FUNERAL HOME (934-4888).
---------------------------

I remember him well. He was RSS out of Saskatoon with the N Sask R in the 80's. Upon retirement, he liked Saskatoon, and stayed. If you knew him, have a beer for him tonight, and think of him with a smile.

Keep the Mess open Al, one day we'll all be there for a cold drink!

Regards from paradise.

Wes

Stan Shaw, retired from 2 RCHA,  passed away 21 Sept 08
I 1st met him when he was RDS in 1 RCHA in Germany in the 80's, then again as RSS with 30th Fd
He was quite a rascal in his day.
I found out too late to attend the funeral, sorry for posting this late for those who knew him, and didn't know in time either
See you down the trail "commodore"
http://ospreyobituaries.com/sitepages/obituary.asp?oId=264019&source=Pembroke%20Daily%20Observer

Leo Major, the only Canadian vet twice awarded for distinguished conduct dies at 87.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/10/18/7131506-cp.html
By Jessica Murphy, THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL - Family and friends of Leo Major describe him as a humble man who wore his battle scars with grace.

The residents of the Dutch city of Zwolle remember him as a hero.
Major is the only Canadian to have received two Distinguished Conduct Medals - the second highest award for gallantry in action after the Victoria Cross - for accomplishments in the Second World and Korean Wars.

He died in Montreal on Oct. 12 at age 87.
In 1940, at 19, the French-Canadian from one of Montreal's toughest working-class east end neighbourhoods joined Montreal's Regiment de la Chaudiere.
He distinguished himself early in his army career. 

After losing an eye to a grenade on D-Day on the beach in Normandy, he refused a medical evacuation. He claimed he could still sight a rifle with one eye.
"He always said doctors were a bunch of fools," his son Denis said in an interview.
But it was his bravery on a cold, rainy April night in 1945 that won him his first medal and the lasting respect of the people of Zwolle.
On that night, Major single-handedly liberated the city.

It was April 13, 1945 when Pte. Major and another French-Canadian soldier, Willie Arsenault, were sent to scope out the German presence in the Dutch town, about 120 kilometres northeast of Amsterdam.
Arsenault was killed by German machine-gunners on the outskirts of the city.
But Major, using a combination of luck, cunning, and guts, was able to capture Zwolle from the Germans by killing them when he could and setting off enough grenades to create the impression a large Canadian force had entered the city.
By early morning, they had fled the town.

Since he died, the town hall flag has been flying at half-mast, a register has been opened so townspeople can record their condolences, and Lt.-Col. Henri J.L. Schevers from the Dutch embassy attended his Montreal funeral on Saturday.
Betty Redemeyer's stepfather, Hendrik van Gerner, met Major that night. It began a lifetime of friendship as Major, in his later years, frequently travelled back to Holland to speak to schoolchildren about his experiences.
"Because of Leo, (the Allies) knew they didn't need to bomb the city, the Germans were gone," she said.

Redemeyer recalled Major's visits back to Zwolle with fondness.
"He could have been my grandfather," she said.
"He was so sweet. I honoured him so much, just because he was so humble. We realized what he had done for our city was enormous."

Memories of the war haunted Major.
"At night he became quiet," Redemeyer said.
"In his memories he went back to the war. Sometimes I think it was difficult for him."

Major's son Denis said he rarely spoke of his exploits. In fact, he only told his family in the late 1960s about some of what he'd accomplished.
"Even my mother didn't know," Denis said.
"One of the most difficult memories came at the end of the war. He had killed two Germans, and when he approached the bodies he found they were adolescents of 13, 14 years old."

Major still answered the call of duty when in 1950, a Canadian general asked him to serve as a sniper in the Korean War. He left his civilian plumbing practice and went overseas once again, even with lingering injuries from his first tour of duty.
A severe back injury sustained during the Second World War would cause him pain his whole life.
It was in the Korean War that he won his second medal for bravery after leading a company to capture a key hill.

His family lost what Denis called "man of great courage, justice, a very humble man."
So did the people of Zwolle.
"I know that everyone, but everyone, will think of Leo as their liberator," Redemeyer said.
"He will never be forgotten. To us, he really is a hero."

Major is survived by his wife of 57 years, Pauline De Croiselle, his four children and five grand children.

For all the Royals and Airborne troops on site, just heard via other means that BC Robinson passed on November 7 2008. BC was the first RSM of the Airborne Regiment and had participated in the D-Day drops in '44. I believe he served in the regulars until well into the 70's and then spent a few years terrifying reservists. :eek:(Personal experience) I didn't really know the man but my father had nothing but the highest praise for him, which really means something as my dad doesn't offer praise too often.

Pro Patria and Ex Coelis!

:salute:

I belive this is the same person....

Bertram Robinson   
ROBINSON, Bertram (Robbie) Charles Peacefully at the Woodstock General Hospital, on Wednesday November 6, 2008. Bertram (Robbie) Charles Robinson of Woodstock in his 83rd year. Beloved husband of Marjorie Robinson (nee Tucsok). Loved father of Kerri Robinson and her friend Ray Powell of Collingwood. Loved step-father of Brian Green and his wife Crystal of Princeton, and Denise Lambkin and her husband Lawrence of Woodstock. Dear father-in-law of Denise St. Pierre. Cherished grandfather of six grandchildren. Dear brother of Jim Robinson of Port Stanley. Also survived by several nieces and nephews. Predeceased by his son Kevin Robinson and by two sisters and one brother. Bertram was employed with the Canadian Armed Forces for 39 years. B.C. Robinson proudly served in England, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany during World War II, involved in the D-Day drop into Normandy, Rhine drop 'Operation Varsity' and 'Operation Gaylord'. He served in Korea, in Quebec during the FLQ crisis, and in Cyprus, and lived throughout Canada and Germany during his career. Most years of service were in the 1st Royal Canadian Regiment and the 1st Canadian Parachute Battallion, Airborn Regiment. A Recipient of: The MMM, 1939-45, UN Service Medal-Korea, UN Force in Cyprus Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, Canadian Centennial Medal, Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal, and 'Ambassador for Peace' award from the people of the Republic of Korea. Also a member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #55 Woodstock. Cremation has taken place. Contribution to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #55, or the Heart and Stoke Foundation of Ontario would be appreciated, and may be arranged through: the Longworth Funeral Home, Woodstock 519-539-0004. Online condolences at: www.longworthfuneralhome.com

r134.jpg

NFLD Sapper said:
I belive this is the same person....

Bertram Robinson   
ROBINSON, Bertram (Robbie) Charles Peacefully at the Woodstock General Hospital, on Wednesday November 6, 2008. Bertram (Robbie) Charles Robinson of Woodstock in his 83rd year. Beloved husband of Marjorie Robinson (nee Tucsok). Loved father of Kerri Robinson and her friend Ray Powell of Collingwood. Loved step-father of Brian Green and his wife Crystal of Princeton, and Denise Lambkin and her husband Lawrence of Woodstock. Dear father-in-law of Denise St. Pierre. Cherished grandfather of six grandchildren. Dear brother of Jim Robinson of Port Stanley. Also survived by several nieces and nephews. Predeceased by his son Kevin Robinson and by two sisters and one brother. Bertram was employed with the Canadian Armed Forces for 39 years. B.C. Robinson proudly served in England, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany during World War II, involved in the D-Day drop into Normandy, Rhine drop 'Operation Varsity' and 'Operation Gaylord'. He served in Korea, in Quebec during the FLQ crisis, and in Cyprus, and lived throughout Canada and Germany during his career. Most years of service were in the 1st Royal Canadian Regiment and the 1st Canadian Parachute Battallion, Airborn Regiment. A Recipient of: The MMM, 1939-45, UN Service Medal-Korea, UN Force in Cyprus Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, Canadian Centennial Medal, Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal, and 'Ambassador for Peace' award from the people of the Republic of Korea. Also a member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #55 Woodstock. Cremation has taken place. Contribution to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #55, or the Heart and Stoke Foundation of Ontario would be appreciated, and may be arranged through: the Longworth Funeral Home, Woodstock 519-539-0004. Online condolences at: www.longworthfuneralhome.com

r134.jpg

Yes it is.  :salute:

BC Robinson was a good, tough, hard working, honest soldier, a soldiers' soldier - in the best traditions of The RCR.

The end of an era comes with the passing of Rear Admiral (Ret’d) Landymore.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail
-------------------------
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081215.OBLANDYMORE15/TPStory?cid=al_gam_globeedge

Admiral made war on unification and went down, guns blazing
Decorated in wartime after two ships were sunk under him, he rose to the top of the RCN only to defy Ottawa's plan to integrate the military. As a result, he lost his job, but won the hearts of the rank and file

BUZZ BOURDON

Special to the Globe and Mail
December 15, 2008

OTTAWA -- Two decades after he fought the German and Japanese navies during the Second World War, Rear Admiral Bill Landymore threw himself into the battle of his life when he took on the government of Canada in an epic struggle that transfixed the nation.

In 1965, Rear Adm. Landymore, a fighting sailor who had two ships sunk under him in four months in 1940, chose to deliberately defy Paul Hellyer, the minister of national defence, over the latter's ambitious and controversial plan to unify Canada's three services into a single force wearing a common green uniform.

At stake was the unique identity and soul of Rear Adm. Landymore's beloved Royal Canadian Navy, along with its traditional blue uniform and rank structure. He'd served three years with the Royal Navy before the war, and believed passionately in the RCN's British heritage.

As the head of the post-integration Maritime Command and Commander Canadian Atlantic Sub-Area, he was in an extremely difficult position. Theoretically, he had no choice but to follow the elected government's orders. If he didn't agree with Mr. Hellyer's plans, he could resign.

But Rear Adm. Landymore felt he had a strong moral duty to oppose unification, which split opinion in the armed forces and across the country. "If I didn't speak out, who would?" he said. At a senior officer's briefing in Ottawa in November, 1964, he told Mr. Hellyer that he couldn't accept a plan that meant demolishing the navy. "In his professional opinion, economy and proper command and control could be achieved by integration alone," wrote Tony German in his 1990 book The Sea is at Our Gates: The History of the Canadian Navy. "Unification was unnecessary and highly unpalatable to the vast majority, he said - and Landymore knew his people."

It was a solid shot across Mr. Hellyer's bow from an officer described as a "tough-minded, tireless professional and a first-rate leader." Now, with the navy facing institutional chaos, shrinking budgets, recruitment falling by 40 per cent and suffering an acute identity crisis, Rear Adm. Landymore was determined to restore morale to the fleet and fight for the RCN's very soul.

To organize opposition against Mr. Hellyer, he convened a series of meetings of high-ranking officers in Halifax during the summer of 1965. Among other things, he wanted to make sure his officers would not ask to be retired. "Of 367 officers at the meetings, three didn't fully agree. Landymore reported what he'd done and the views of his officers to the chief of personnel," wrote Mr. German.

Shocked that Rear Adm. Landymore would oppose him in such a public manner, which seemed disloyal in the extreme, Mr. Hellyer considered disciplining him or firing him. Problem was, that would have meant sacking a second top operational commander in less than a year.

In fact, Mr. Hellyer displayed a grudging respect for his opponent in his 1990 autobiography, Damn the Torpedoes: My Fight to Unify Canada's Armed Forces. "To his credit, and unlike some of the others, he took me seriously and worked out a strategy not unlike a political campaign. He made frequent visits 'below decks' to ingratiate himself with the sailors. He volunteered to act as their agent in redressing grievances. He would be their champion."

Known as a sailor's sailor, Rear Adm. Landymore was "popular, admired by all ranks, and is remembered as being a forthright, four-square, hands-on commander and staff officer," wrote Robert Caldwell in the 2006 book The Admirals: Canada's Senior Naval Leadership in the Twentieth Century.

On April 11, 1966, the undeclared war between minister and admiral reached a new low when The Globe and Mail quoted an unnamed DND spokesman who said, "naval officers still retain to some extent an above-decks, below-decks mentality ... Sailors just don't scrub decks now, they're skilled men and the old attitudes of officers just doesn't fit. We're trying to change that."

Considered a gratuitous and unfounded attack, the remark was thought by many to have come from Mr. Hellyer's special assistant, former RCAF wing commander Bill (Leaky) Lee. Rear Adm. Landymore was incandescent with rage and demanded a denial or public apology. He was ignored. Suddenly, it seemed to him as though it was open season on admirals.

Two months later, Rear Adm. Landymore was scheduled to testify on naval matters to Parliament's standing committee on defence. Following protocol, he submitted his remarks to Mr. Hellyer the day before. The next day he discovered that his brief on personnel issues, which had outlined serious morale problems because of unification, had been changed.

"Hellyer claims Landymore made no protest about the changes as they made their way to the committee meeting," wrote Marc Milner in his 1999 book Canada's Navy: The First Century. "As it turned out, the minister's office had wanted a more positive spin on the situation than the tone contained in Landymore's original report. Later, one of Hellyer's staff took responsibility for altering the report."

Believing he had no choice but to obey his minister, Rear Adm. Landymore "choked down his disgust and delivered the report as changed. Hellyer had effectively stopped expert evidence key to the defence of Canada from being heard," Mr. German wrote.

The final showdown occurred on July 12, 1966. Mr. Hellyer asked for his resignation. Rear Adm. Landymore refused to give it to him. He preferred to be sacked.

"There was no alternative but to fire Landymore," wrote Mr. Hellyer. "He didn't seem too surprised when he heard the verdict."

Depressed and discouraged, he had just one more card to play. He asked a retired RCN officer, Liberal MP David Gross, to set up a meeting with prime minister Lester Pearson. The following day, Rear Adm. Landymore went up to Parliament Hill and met with Mr. Hellyer's boss.

Mr. Pearson said he "fully supported" integration but didn't know how far Mr. Hellyer would go in the process. He promised the government would not interfere with naval traditions.

"Landymore felt a final sense of betrayal," Mr. Milner wrote. "It was some time later that Pearson confided to Landymore: 'If one more admiral had resigned I was going to tell Hellyer to stop unification.' None did, and Pearson failed to protect the traditions that Landymore and others held dear. 'I believed the Prime Minister of Canada was an honest, thoroughly sincere man,' Landymore concluded years later. But he wasn't.' "

Back in Halifax, Rear Adm. Landymore decided to go public about his dismissal, which made front-page headlines across Canada. The publicity created an enormous controversy. "By late July, Landymore's name was a household word," Mr. Caldwell wroet. "Open warfare was conducted between opponents of unification and the government. Critics of unification seemed to be galvanized ... Hundreds of letters and telegrams were sent to the prime minister, the minister and members of Parliament. The debate on Bill C-243, the unification bill, became a highly sensational and contentious issue."

It was arguably the most controversial defence issue in Canadian history and Rear Adm. Landymore, who at 50 could have served five more years, had gone down guns blazing in the best naval tradition. In two years, the RCN's six senior admirals had been retired prematurely or fired. Generals and air marshals had also left.

Confident he had followed his conscience and done the right thing, Rear Adm. Landymore prepared to haul down his flag. First, though, his sailors paid their admiral a heartfelt tribute by giving him an emotional farewell.

Exactly a week after he was fired, personnel turned out in strength at the dockyard in Halifax. "Ship's sides and roadways were lined with cheering sailors and civilian employees," Mr. German wrote. "Every ship in harbour flew signal flags spelling Landymore's name; above them flew flags BZ: Bravo Zulu: 'Well done, Landymore.' There was nothing else to say."

Seven months later, on Feb. 23, 1967, Mr. Hellyer couldn't resist one final salvo when he told a parliamentary defence committee that Rear Adm. Landymore was fired for "18 months of consistent disloyalty to the people he was paid to serve."

Disgusted by that spurious charge, Rear Adm. Landymore gave his version. Four days later, Mr. Hellyer was forced to retract his statement but had the last laugh when the government rammed the unification bill through on Apr. 25, 1967, and the RCN passed into history.

Raised in Brantford, Ont., he was the only son of Frederick and Gladys Landymore, and graduated from Brantford Collegiate Institute before attending the Royal Military College in Kingston.

In 1934, he matriculated as a gentleman cadet, and two years later was commissioned as an acting sub-lieutenant in a tiny RCN that had no immediate need for his services. Instead, he was sent to the Royal Navy to serve on three cruisers before the war started on Sept. 1, 1939.

By March, 1940, he was a torpedo and communications officer aboard HMCS Fraser, a River-class destroyer. Three months later, he survived his first sinking when his ship collided with the British cruiser HMS Calcutta. Sent to HMCS Margaree some months later, he survived the loss of that ship when it collided with a merchant vessel in October, 1940. Clearly, Rear Adm. Landymore was quickly using up his nine lives.

He served in various staff appointments before his appointment to HMCS Uganda as gunnery officer in 1944, where he later witnessed the majority of the ship's company voting themselves out of the final months of the war in the Pacific. That service won him a mention-in-despatches (MID).

After the war, his first notable appointment occurred in 1951 when he was made captain of HMCS Iroquois. He commanded the destroyer during two tours of duty during the Korean War. He received a second MID and was appointed an officer of the Order of the British Empire.

In 1958, he was given a plum appointment when he was made captain of HMCS Bonaventure. The 16,000-ton carrier flew McDonnellBanshee jet fighters and Grumman Tracker anti-submarine aircraft in support of NATO operations in the Atlantic.

During his command, he pioneered the idea of sustained operations, keeping aircraft airborne around the clock. "If the carrier and its aircrew could not do that, he reasoned, the viability of naval aviation could be threatened," wrote Mr. Caldwell. He left the "Bonnie" in September, 1959, and three years later was promoted rear admiral.

On Nov. 16, 1964, he took over the East Coast fleet from Rear Adm. Jeffry Brock, who had been fired by Mr. Hellyer three months earlier. Thus, he became de facto head of the navy, since the position of chief of naval staff had been abolished in August of that year.

During his retirement, Rear Adm. Landymore performed charity work and served as chairman of the board of Halifax's Grace Hospital. He never spoke about unification and what it had cost him, preferring to stay silent in the tradition of the "silent service."

BILL LANDYMORE

William Moss Landymore was born July 31, 1916, in Brantford, Ont. He died Nov. 27, 2008, of natural causes in Halifax. He was 92. He leaves his wife, Eleanor, and his children Lauretta, Roderick and John. He also leaves grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and four stepchildren. He was predeceased by his first wife, Joan, whom he married in 1940, in 1998. His ashes will be buried at sea.

--------------------

Gino Durette (MCpl - Retd - EME)

Durette, Gino Michel
The death of Gino Durette occurred on Wednesday, December 17th, 2008 at the Oromocto Public Hospital. Born June 12th, 1962 in Lac Louise Manic V, QC, son of Hugues and Ghislaine (Gagnon) Durette.
Gino is survived by Judy Lowe of Geary, NB; his daughter, Marianne Durette of Notre-Dame-du-Portage, QC; Judy’s son, Michael Lowe (Jodi) and their children Alicia and Aaron; siblings, Marlene Durette (Angela Mignault) of Drummondville, QC and Martin Durette (France Berube) of Lachine, QC; his two nieces, Isabelle and Gabrielle; his maternal grandmother, Adeline Sergerie of Les Mechins, QC as well as several aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.
Visitation will be held at the Oromocto Select Community Funeral Home on Friday, December 19th, 2008 from 2-4 & 7-9 pm. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church on Saturday, December 20th, 2008 at 11:00 am with Rev. Ken Weir as celebrant. Interment will take place at a later date in the Oromocto Pioneer Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations made to the Canadian Cancer Society would be appreciated by the family. www.oromoctofh.com (357-5100)

Cheers Gino my friend, we'll miss you at Griffins and everywhere else too.

CAPT James R. Van Dusen, MMM, CD (Logistics)

Link http://www.saskobits.com/viewGuestBook.do?noticeId=4171154

I've known Jim for almost 20 years, and I worked the G4 Maint/TN side at DISTHQ Regina from 1991-95 before coming here to Australia. Jim was the G4, and later the G4 Ops.

Jim died of cancer on 02 Sep 09 in Regina. He was 66 yrs old.

He was a bloody good officer, and although long retired, will be truly missed by all who knew him.

Raise a rum for Jim today.

Regards,

Wes

Warrant Officer Al Arnold, CD (PPCLI)

I knew Al when he was the RSS Trg WO with the RRR back in the 70's. He got me interested in the trade of Armourer, so if it was not for Al's encouragement, who knows where I'd be now.

Al liked Regina so much, he retired there.

Al passed away in Regina on 11 Sep 09, at 80 yrs of age.

Link  http://www.saskobits.com/viewGuestBook.do?noticeId=4171203

OWDU

Back