• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (serving Canadian military)

xo31@711ret said:
Wow, sad news indeed. I knew Ian when were at 3ASG; he taught us purple trades NBCW trg; toets etc. Was he still in uniform?
My condolences to his family & friends. Good soldior and easy to get alone with.
RIP Ian.
  :cdn: :salute: :cdn:

Ian was indeed still in uniform, and still under the PPCLI cap badge.

He was serving here in 3 ASG in G1 Br as the HA to the Comd. We have lost a very good man. I don't know who's going to harass me about my tartan mini now ... it just won't be the same.

Details:

Funeral will take place on Friday 1100hrs at the St. Luke's Chapel, CFB Gagetown, NB;
Over flow seating is at St. Mary's Chapel;
Parking will be premitted at the F Lines ( Officer's Mess);
Reception will follow at Bldg A-4 (WO & Sgts Mess Annex);
Dress - DEU IA with Medals.

Ian will be interred in Ottawa, although I have no dates/timings as of yet. I'll post up when I have them.

Thanks Vern; wish I was still in Gagetown to attend. Told my wife this AM (she was the CC at 3ASG / I was BMC at the time with Ian at 3ASG). She was saddened and a bit shocked in that Ian was no older than mid to late 50's we believe.
Ian'll be missed.  :(

I knew Ian but not well. Salt of the earth though. My condolences to the family.

Warrant Officer Ian Culbertson

CULBERTSON, WARRANT OFFICER I.B., MMM, CD Warrant Officer I.B. Culbertson, MMM, CD has passed on Oct 08, 2008 after a sharp fight with cancer. Ian joined the Canadian army (Reg) Feb 08, 1967 at which time he was sent to the PPCLI in Edmonton, AB. He remained in service (regular & reserve) until his passing, over 42 years. Serving where and when called. Predeceased by his father Wesley WWI Vet and his step-mother Gail. Survived by his mother Isobel, (Stout); stepfather, George Stout; daughter, Tanya (Jackson) Culbertson, Neil Jackson (spouse of Tanya), Steven & Katie (Grandchildren), Darin (son) Heather Culbertson; sister, Susan (Harwood) Culbertson with Bob & Jasmie & James (Letticia) Culbertson (Sonja & Sophia) nieces. A funeral service will be held at St. Lukes Chapel on Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:00 am. Cremation is the final act with interment at Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa. Arrangements have been entrusted to Oromocto Select Community Funeral Home. (357-5100) www.oromoctofh.com

Basewide just came out ...

RELEASED UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF THE 3 ASG/CFB GAGETOWN COMMANDER / DIFFUSÉ AVEC L’AUTORISATION DU COMMANDANT DU 3 GSS/BFC GAGETOWN

Funeral Service for Warrant Officer Ian Culbertson

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Warrant Officer Ian Culbertson on Wednesday, 8 October 2008.

The funeral service will take place at St. Luke’s Chapel (with overflow in St. Mary’s Chapel), CFB Gagetown, at 1100 hrs on Friday, 10 October 2008. All are to be seated by 1045 hrs.

A reception will be held in building A-4 immediately following the service.

The attendance of friends and colleagues is both welcomed and appreciated.

Please Note:

All personnel are requested to utilize the North and South Gates between the hours of 1000 and 1230 to allow the ease of movement of the family and attendees to the funeral.

All flags must be halfmasted from sunrise to sunset.

2 Cdo said:
Unfortunately it is time again to update the fallen comrades list. Yesterday evening Cpl Craig Wilson, a member of the MP detachment in Kingston was killed in a motorcycle accident. Craig was a former member of 2 PPCLI who left the battalion as a sergeant to pursue his OT to MP. Craig left behind a wife and two daughters. :salute:

Will post info reference funeral (only with families blessing) as it becomes available.

Craig was one of my recruiters in Kingston.  One day when he was talking to an applicant her mother kept interrupting him and he finally said, "Ma'am, please shut the fuck up while I am talking to your daughter"  After spitting my coffee all over my desk I had to tell Craig that he was no longer in the Battalion and civilians had to be treated a little more carefully than soldiers.  I will miss him.

Craig Wilson has passed on? I knew him from 2VP (along with old solduer). Too bad. I was in A Coy in 97 for that tour in Bosnia as well.

Old Solduer, do you remember having me do corrective training for backing a grizzly into an HLVW ?

medicineman said:
Vern,

Swill a couple for me will ya?

MM

I did so.

Thursday afternoon, those of us who were to carry him gathered at the Mess (his favourite place of course) ... and closed it down in his honour approx 0100hrs. Gathered there again Friday morning and left for the funeral home approx 0900, did him well and, as he wished, headed back to the Mess afterwards, then on to Griffens ...

Two long, but very well-purposed days - with excellent memories and stories aplenty. He was a good man. There's a whole bunch of us who will miss him very much. Not bad for a man with the ugliest legs in NATO - especially adorned in his shorts & sandals with the old grey wooley socks (which some of us Pall Bearers wore in his honour).

The absolute best occurance of the day occured though when, as we were about to carry him down the stairs of the Chapel, one of the Mess' bartenders who was in attendance received a call on her cellphone ... the ringtone was Johnny Cash "I fell in to a burning ring of fire ..." - 150% totally appropriate and we just knew Ian was involved in that somehow.

Thanks for sharing that Vern
"Burning ring of fire", priceless
I bet you could almost hear Ian chuckling

I'll be in Gagetown this Friday, but it sure won't be the same going in to happy hour and not seeing him there.

Just got this by email at work:

There are times when it is extremely difficult to inform the family especially when we have to give terrible news.  Last week-end, Colonel Karen Ritchie died in a vehicle accident.  Her husband, retired CWO Don Peddle, did not get hurt but is devastated.  Colonel Ritchie was an energetic leader who was greatly appreciated and loved by the EME family and the troops she commanded.  May she rest in peace.  Details to follow.

Condolences to all that knew her. :salute:

The RMC Club E-Journal has a brief blurb posted, and includes an overview of her written by Helga Grodzinski; there's also the ability to post replies.

http://www.rmcclub.ca/everitaswp/?p=2318

Had the priviledge of serving alongside Col Ritchie over the last year & a half.
A terrible waste of a good soldier.

Their pichup truck was broadsided by a dump truck while she was seated in the pasenger seat.....

Rest in peace

Condolences to Don Peddle on his enormous loss

At the going down of the sun,
And in the morn,
We wil remember them!

CHIMO!

I just saw that WO Culbertson passed away on the 8th of October, 2008.  I worked with and got to know Ian around 1998 until 2000, in Gagetown where he, at that time, was mostly working as a Crse WO for leaderhip courses.  He was a respected man, both for his knowledge and his way of saying it like it was.  He was a walking book of knowledge and experience.  I had bumped into him numerous times on trips to Gagetown between 2001-2006, and it was always good to catch up and hear some more of his stories and jokes.  The last I heard, he was working as a Harassment Advisor or something of that nature (or so I had heard) which, for anyone that knew him, was something that got a chuckle or two.

RIP Ian.

From the Last Post section on the PPCLI website, which has a very nice write-up done in .pdf format, which is where I have taken this from (the .pdf file was too big to include as an attachment):

Warrant Officer Ian Culbertson, MMM, CD
15 March 1949 – 8 October 2008

Warrant Officer Ian Culbertson was born in Brandon, Manitoba, on 15 March 1949. 

After serving for five years in the Army Cadets and retiring as a Cadet RSM, Ian joined the Canadian Forces as an Infantryman in 1967 at the age of 17. He immediately began his Regular Force service with the Second Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, and served with 3 Canadian Mechanized Commando in Baden-Soellingen, Germany until 1971. During this period he performed extremely well and quickly gained a reputation as an excellent soldier, a description that stayed with him throughout his entire career. In 1973 Ian was posted to 1 PPCLI in Edmonton, and later transferred to the Canadian Airborne Regiment. He was exceptionally proud of his service as a paratrooper, having served with the Regiment from 1974 – 1979 and from 1981 – 1985, and maintained very strong ties to the ‘Brotherhood’ up until the time of his passing. His overall service is exemplified by his performance in Cyprus in April 1974. Over a very tense period of 30 days, while under daily fire from machineguns at their post between the Turkish village of Louroujina and the Greek village of Lymbia, (then) Cpl Culbertson quickly drew the attention of his Platoon and
Company Commanders. He was described as “very astute, quick thinking, physically fit, frank and forthright… and he craves responsibility.” For his sustained dedication during this period he was awarded the Order of Military Merit. Ian continued to be recognized for these kinds of personal attributes as his service extended into the Reserve Force beginning in 1991.  While serving in this capacity he continued to win friends and earn the respect of all who knew him, remaining in uniform until this very day.

Warrant Officer Ian Culbertson faced his death with the same straight-forward, determined and professional approach that garnered him the outstanding level of respect and admiration that has been shown to him throughout this difficult time. His presence will be greatly missed not only by those closest to him; Darin, Tanya, Isobel and Susan, but also by his extended family and those very many friends that he influenced over 42 years of professional and dedicated military service.

Airborne Prayer

May the defence of the Most High be above and beneath,
around and within us,
in our going out and in our coming in,
in our rising up and our going down,
all our days and all our nights,
until the dawn when the son of righteousness shall arise
with healing in his wings for the peoples of the World
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
An Airborne Soldier.

We were passed the funeral Info for Col Ritchie via email here at work:

Viewing is Sunday, Oct 19th, 1400 - 1600 hrs and 1900 - 2100 hrs at Beechwood Military Cemetary
Service is Monday, Oct 20th, 1300 hrs at Christ Church Cathedral, 439 Queen St, Ottawa
Burial after the service at Beechwood Cemetary

Edit:  a second email this morning states the funeral service is at 1330.  Sorry for the confusion, just passing on what I am given.

Also - dress is 1A (DEU with medals)
Donations to the Girl Guides of Canada in lieu of flowers.

First met Karen at RMC way back when, 1980-81, when she was a First Year OCdt. Some years later worked with her in Gagetown mid 90s, and with then MWO Don Peddle when he was G4 Maint in 33 CBG HQ early 00s.  What a terrible loss and to all who are hurting as a result of this terrible tragedy, my deepest condolences. RIP Colonel.

Back