• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Family Care Plan (FCP) [Merged]

IN HOC,

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.  I've heard there may be upcoming changes to the PEN form, and I hope so as I think we can definately make it better.  I've seen the US version, it's a 2 or 3 page doc but covers just about everything you would ever need as a form for your PERS file and to give your NOK as a referance.  I'm in the process of DAGing people now and trying to make them understand the importance of these docs is like talking to a brick wall!!  I will (beat them if I have to) make them understand!

"slap" - get going and update your will  ;)

Nice, could have used that a few years ago, too late now...

One question - on Page 8, it says MARTIAL BREAKDOWN EFFECTS ON BENEFITS - MEDICAL/DENTAL

Should that be 'marital' instead of 'martial'?

OMG....holy crap you are so right!  I'll correct my copy - thanks so much!!  so much for spell check! ;D

Are you comfortable with me printing some copies off to give to my soldiers, especially the new ones?

I have no problem with anyone using it.  Just remember it's not an official document, but is it my work and I do and will take responsibility for any omissions/errors.  My name is on it so just blame me  ;)

The purpose is awareness and info, so plse feel free to use it if it's helpful

One question I did have was about the common-law marriage.  Your document says it is not recognized by the CF until one year has passed. 

I thought it used to be six months?  Is that right or has it always been one year?

Fusilier said:
IN HOC,

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.  I've heard there may be upcoming changes to the PEN form, and I hope so as I think we can definately make it better.  I've seen the US version, it's a 2 or 3 page doc but covers just about everything you would ever need as a form for your PERS file and to give your NOK as a referance.  I'm in the process of DAGing people now and trying to make them understand the importance of these docs is like talking to a brick wall!!  I will (beat them if I have to) make them understand!

"slap" - get going and update your will  ;)

No doubt. I've seen cases where the SDB goes to the mother because the member did his form when he was in Basic and never revised it when he married. that gave the family a lot of heartache after the fact. as mentioned the stories of us trying to find someone on the NOK form who has moved or the relationship has changed i.e. divorce etc are many. No one thinks they are ever going to die (denial) so of course it's not important to make proper plans and fill out the forms properly.
Got your slap...I'm all over it.

Greymatters said:
One question I did have was about the common-law marriage.  Your document says it is not recognized by the CF until one year has passed. 

I thought it used to be six months?  Is that right or has it always been one year?

6 months for civvie land, 1 year for us

Fusilier:

When I was CC 3 VP I incorporated a similar document into my unit's Adm Instr - I stole it from 1 VP, I think - with permission.  This would have been in '02 - '03.  Would that have been your work as well?  If so, excellent work then and regardless if that old one was yours, excellent work now.

Roy

Steve said:
6 months for civvie land, 1 year for us

Does anyone know why it is 1 year then? 

I might have missed this as well, but does time away on tour still count towards co-habitation according to CF regs?  Im also interested in learning if this is being applied to reserve personnel who accept six month deployments - if they are away for a six month period, does that time count towards co-habitation, enabling new spousal benefits partway or after a tour?  I might have to address this with our company's HR department policies when discussing employee and spousal benefits.

Greymatters said:
Does anyone know why it is 1 year then? 

I might have missed this as well, but does time away on tour still count towards co-habitation according to CF regs?  Im also interested in learning if this is being applied to reserve personnel who accept six month deployments - if they are away for a six month period, does that time count towards co-habitation, enabling new spousal benefits partway or after a tour?  I might have to address this with our company's HR department policies when discussing employee and spousal benefits.

Check out this thread for more references on Common Law.

Ref:  CFAO 19-41 para 5
5.    The continuous period of at least one year referred to in subparagraph
(2)(c) of  QR&O 1.075 may include periods of involuntary separation for
such reasons as temporary duty, attached posting or unaccompanied posting
(eg, a six-month UN tour). However, the couple must have resided together
as husband and wife during the remainder of the one-year period .

Roy, yup that was me (1 VP 1996-2007).  I sent it out to all the Bde units to make use of if they wished.  Thanks for the comments!

Fusilier said:
Roy, yup that was me (1 VP 1996-2007).  I sent it out to all the Bde units to make use of if they wished.  Thanks for the comments!

You're welcome - forward them to your boss for PER points!!

Ha ha, don't know if it would get me anywhere.  Besides, didn't do it for points but to "enlighten" and educate my Pl Comds, the original draft was put out in 1999.  I did submit it to the Bde as something that may be more useful if it was an official booklet (like the Pregnancy and the CF booklet) but nothing came of it.  Maybe I'll try again ;)

Fusilier

Thanks for the updated info.  It will be very handy for a lot of our new soldiers.

If forms are not up to date, nothing can be done; the policy is clear given the huge sums of monies that can be involved in some cases - what is on any form, regardless of the date on the form, is taken as the "last wishes and the direction" of our men and women in uniform.  The leadership must remind, on a regular basis, the men and women under its command to keep these forms up to date. Aside from the PEN form, another good example of a forum that needs to be kept up to date is the Memorial Cross form.   

Ws

MOD EDIT: took the blue out so it could be read.
Bruce

CMP,

Are you making a comment on content?  Ie; something that must be updated, if so please specify where in the document so that I may amend it.

Understood, we must accept the forms as they are, however members must also accept responsibility for themselves and be an active participant in their own administration.  As administrators all we can do is remind, nag etc both the chain of command and members to ensure their info is kept up to date.  Document review must be done a minimum of once a year, orderly rooms must ensure that their change of marital status checklists (as per A-PM-245) is updated to include new forms etc as they are introduced.  A standardized method of filing particular forms must be followed (ie; PA'd to the left side of the UPF for forms that require regular review).  There are many things that can be done and should be done however in the growing piles of administration the importance of these documents sometimes seem to be lost, that is from my experience in receiving files.

BUMP AGAIN
Hi all, I tried the MFRC and no luck.  I'm looking for someplace (Oromocto) where I can drop off the kids around 7 am and pick them up around 5 pm, though some days sooner.  They are two girls: 12 and 8 (turning 9 in July).  They are low maintenance; however, just a wee too young to be home alone all day long. 

Hints?  Anyone know anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Back