• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fantino in/out of VAC: changes in DM/other staff (merged)

Danjanou said:
I think that's the name of the band playing Rock the Hill  8)

Many people copy what I say.**

Bands should be no different ;)

**Mostly to use in some sort of discipline hearing or top prove I actually said it to the Minister. :blotto:

This could bode well for the future.
Walt Natynczyk, head of the Canadian Space Agency, moves to veterans affairs
CBC News
29 Oct 2014

The head of the Canadian Space Agency is leaving the position after barely more than a year on the job.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says Walt Natynczyk will become deputy veterans affairs minister, effective this coming Monday.

Harper made the announcement in a statement today.

Natynczyk had been head of the space agency since August 2013, when he replaced former Canadian astronaut Steve MacLean.

The retired military general also served as the Canadian Forces' chief of defence staff from 2008 to 2012.

Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino said in a statement Natynczyk "arrives at a crucial time for our department, which is in the midst of an ongoing transformation to further improve how it supports veterans and their families when they make the important transition to civilian life."

Iain Christie, executive vice-president of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada, expressed surprise when informed of the move.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/walt-natynczyk-head-of-the-canadian-space-agency-moves-to-veterans-affairs-1.2817451

Awesome choice.  Walt will bring something good to that department.

well....somebody has to clean up after Fantino................

GAP said:
well....somebody has to clean up after Fantino................
One hopes -
smiley_goodluck_yellow.gif
- although under current elected management, if changes were desired, they would have happened, no matter who was in charge.

milnews.ca said:
One hopes -
smiley_goodluck_yellow.gif
- although under current elected management, if changes were desired, they would have happened, no matter who was in charge.

Good point.  They may have appointed a friendly credible face in the hopes of quelling any issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him resigning in disgust down the line.  Hopefully this is a good sign but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I too have high hopes. That being said, the problem with VAC lies more in the bureaucrats and staff, rather than in the Minister or DM I wager.

ModlrMike said:
I too have high hopes. That being said, the problem with VAC lies more in the bureaucrats and staff, rather than in the Minister or DM I wager.

....and of course a cynical person might just think, "a former CDS?",...........so, a fellow in a position for change, did not change anything in the bureaucratic disaster that is the Canadian military while he was there?
But all of a sudden he'll bring hope and justice for all? 
That's, of course, if one was cynical................

Sheep Dog AT said:
Same government, different mouth piece = no change

Yes, but we have also seen different government, different mouth piece = no change.

The problems with VAC transcend changes in government, and are emblematic of the greater issue of bureaucrats running the show rather than those we elect. But that's a topic for another thread.

ModlrMike said:
The problems with VAC transcend changes in government, and are emblematic of the greater issue of bureaucrats running the show rather than those we elect. But that's a topic for another thread.
If a government with a clear majority can't make substantive change (even in environments where culture trumps new strategy by a huge margin), either 1)  the system is beyond repair, or 2)  what's the point of changing governments?

My sense, having known Walt personally for many years, is if he can't sort out VAC, nobody can.

I'm gonna go with "nobody can"

I have zero faith that anything will drastically change.

Have come to expect that from the government

Part of the problem is the senior ranks of the PS figure they can wait him out as he will or will be moved at a later date. Now if you could confirm that he is going to be there for 5 years and give the proverbial claymore to smite his senior EX's with, then you will see meaningful change.

Unfortunately, the PM seems to want to keep moving him around before he does anything anywhere, as sort of a PM's firefighter that never gets a chance to get his hoses out when he gets to a fire.

My wife works at the Space Agency and she says that he hasn't had a chance to really change anything yet after one year. This does not surprise me as space planning works over decades, not weeks.

Good or bad, at least it's a soldier. Not that meddlesome idiot Fantino. And yes, I think he's going to get moved. Hehas made a total shambles of the portfolio. From claiming cops are just like soldiers to alienating every real Vet in the country. Fantino is a bumbling bag of hammers.

Back