• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal veterans ombudsman abruptly resigns

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huh  ???

Federal veterans ombudsman abruptly resigns

Craig Dalton had been in the job for just 18 months

The country's veteran's ombudsman has resigned less than halfway through his term, the federal government announced Monday.

Retired colonel Craig Dalton, a 25-year veteran of the Canadian army, only held the watchdog post for a little over 18 months.

Veterans Affairs Minister Lawrence MacAulay announced the ombudsman's departure in a media statement, suggesting that Dalton was leaving for another job.

Dalton's split with the department appears to be amicable. The minister wished him well and praised his accomplishments, saying "Dalton demonstrated exceptional leadership and showed care, compassion and respect for our veterans and their families."

The process of selecting a new ombudsman is underway, MacAulay added.

Dalton was the country's third veteran's watchdog — a position created almost 13 years ago by the former Conservative government in response to a rising number of complaints about government services coming from the veterans community.

Last winter, Dalton went to bat for families of injured soldiers who had been cut off from counselling benefits because of a sweeping re-interpretation of the federal department's long-standing policy.

More significantly, perhaps, Dalton made it clear to the Liberal government last summer that he believed the mandate of the veterans ombudsman should be reviewed because he felt the watchdog's office had lost the trust of some former soldiers and their families.

He wanted an independent review to look at, among other things, whether the ombudsman should report directly to Parliament rather than to the veterans minister.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-ombudsmans-quits-1.5565013?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Seems like we can't keep a ombudsman or a VCDS, wonder whats going on in NDHQ.

MilEME09 said:
Seems like we can't keep a ombudsman or a VCDS, wonder whats going on in NDHQ.

Veterans Obudman doesn’t fall under NDHQ, CAF or DND.  I believe it’s under veterans affairs.

But yes I still wonder what goes on at NDHQ...

[quote author=daftandbarmy]
He wanted an independent review to look at, among other things, whether the ombudsman should report directly to Parliament rather than to the veterans minister.

[/quote]
Good question.

Remius said:
Veterans Obudman doesn’t fall under NDHQ, CAF or DND.  I believe it’s under veterans affairs.

But yes I still wonder what goes on at NDHQ...

My mistake, I do agree the ombudsman, no matter department should report directly to parliament

In his own (approved for release, anyway) words ...
Statement from the Veterans Ombudsman
May 11, 2020

I’d like to announce that I have decided to pursue other challenges and this Friday will be my last in service as Veterans Ombudsman.

My experience as Ombudsman has been rich and one that I am grateful for.  I am particularly grateful for the opportunity to have met and engaged with Veterans and their families across Canada and to have worked and collaborated with a number of excellent Veterans organizations and committed individuals who continue to do great work on behalf and in support of our Veterans. I have also very much appreciated the advice and counsel I have received from a number of individual Veterans, family members, passionate researchers and Veterans advocates whose voices, thoughts and ideas have shaped the work of our office. I would especially like to acknowledge and thank the committed members of the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Advisory Council for the excellent advice they have given me and for the continued support I know they will provide to the Office.

In closing I would like to thank the highly dedicated team of individuals in the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman – individuals who continue to work hard to advance fairness for Veterans and their families each and every day. I know you will continue to do your best to ensure fair outcomes for Veterans.

Craig Dalton

Veterans Ombudsman

Back