• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Field Operation Allowance

http://hr.dwan.dnd.ca/dgcb/dppd/allowance/engraph/allowtab_e.asp?sidesection=3&sidecat=30

FIELD OPERATIONS DAILY RATES 

1 APR 97 12.68
1 OCT 97 12.77
1 APR 98 13.26
1 APR 99 14.17
1 OCT 99  14.59 
1 APR 00  15.00 
1 APR 01  15.37 
1 APR 02  16.01 
1 APR 03  16.41 

George,

I don't think our FOA is taxed. TD yes, but not FOA. Any pay clerks out there?

I heard a rumour,about pulling the troops out of the field within an hour of the FOA min, therefore not having to pay FOA.

Luckily, we get sea pay regardless. (and they have been trying to do Jedi mind tricks on us for years)

I think if you are posted to a desig Field Unit, the same should apply.

NCRCrow said:
I think if you are posted to a desig Field Unit, the same should apply.

We have been saying the same for years....

whats keeping the Brass from making it so?

I know $$$$$

but are they afraid of every unit saying they are "Field".........

They wanted to cut sea pay, there would be no navy if they did (quote me on that)

NCRCrow said:
whats keeping the Brass from making it so?

I know $$$$$

Well yea money would be an issue.  I know they have looked at it before as twice in the last 3-4 years we have had people accompany us in the field to see our living conditions.  Talking to them one of the things they were assessing was the field pay all the time.

I think it's a great idea (not just because I'd get more money).  I'd like to think that if your one of those MIR Commandoes or you always seem to be on T-Cat or P-Cat you wouldn't receive it.

But that is a pipe dream, some poor disadvantage sap will cry to his MP and he'll end up getting it while working half days at the BN canteen.  arrrrr.....must control..... hatred of Bn canteen...... :p

but are they afraid of every unit saying they are "Field".........

Hmmm I can see where you are going with this, interesting dilemma me thinks.

Money is the reason of course.  How many personnel are actually on ship collecting Sea Pay?  Now, how many thousands are in Field Units at this current time - or how many are deployed operationally (a fraction of the total Cbt Units), compared to those on ships?  Quite the expense, eh?

GW

Another quick question,

when you get FOA, you don't get TD, correct? As in on course for example, you get TD for the time you're there except when you're in the field, then you get FOA.

Just wanted some clarification.

CBI 205.39 - FIELD OPERATIONS ALLOWANCE
(1) (Definition) In this instruction, "field operation" means an operation ordered by the Chief of the Defence Staff or a field exercise or training exercise carried out under the authority of National Defence Headquarters or an officer commanding a command, formation, base or unit, in which an officer or non-commissioned member is required to live under field conditions for a period of not less than 24 consecutive hours, but does not include a survey operation.

(2) (Eligibility) Subject to paragraph (3), an officer or non-commissioned member is entitled, when on duty on a field operation away from the permanent facilities normally occupied at the member's base or other unit or element, to 
(a) $16.41 for each complete 24-hour period of that duty; and

(b) $16.41 for any remaining period of that duty that is of six or more hours duration. 

(3) (Limitations) An officer or non-commissioned member 
(a) is not entitled to Field Operations Allowance when the member is entitled to Joint Task Force 2 Allowance under CBI 205.385 or on adventure training;

(b) is not entitled to Field Operations Allowance when the member is in receipt of Post Differential Allowance under the Military Foreign Service Regulations; or

(c) who is on temporary duty and entitled to Field Operation Allowance, is not entitled to incidentals under paragraph (5) of CBI 209.30 (Travelling Expenses - Conditions and Entitlements) while in receipt of Field Operation Allowance. 
(TB # 830487, effective 1 Apr 03)

CBI 209.30 - TRAVELLING EXPENSES - CONDITIONS AND ENTITLEMENTS
(7) (Net period of 24 hours or more) When an officer or non-commissioned member who is on duty away from their base or other unit or element for a net period of 24 hours or more is provided with quarters and is supplied with rations at the place of temporary duty, the member is entitled to the incidental expense allowance, except if the member 
(a) is undergoing training, drill or a course of instruction at a camp temporarily established for that purpose; 
(b) is receiving Field Operations Allowance under CBI 205.39; or 
(c) is hospitalized. 

Pulling people out of the field is nothing new.  It used to happen in Gagetown in 200.  An ex would start on Monday, go till Tuesday around midnight, end.  But the next ex would start at 5 am on Wednesday.  So you would have slept about an hour in your bed in the shacks for the Tuesday night.

expect expect and expect. Damn we are never happy are we. money money and more money. when you are deployed to the field or you are at sea or operatinos then you should get paid for it. if you are at your home port or garrison then why get anything extra. Seems to me a total waste of money. All these allowances are their to pay for the hardships encounterd while away from home, and to pay for your enemities as toiletires and calls home. not to supplement your income so that you make a cash crop. I for one would rather see this money paid to memebers only while deployed. at sea or in the field. The abuse of this is terrible with units taking guys out of the field, hours before they are entitled to FOA, if the ship ties up does that mean the Navy doesnt get sea pay their not at sea are they? These benitfts have been for some trade a way to retain members, I for one think that this money would be better spent for such things as bullets and foot wear, uniforms rifle slings better sights etc the list goes on. I do feel however that we shoudl have compensation of a few bucks a week to cover calls home and such. But to be given hudreds of dollars that some get is silly and a huge waste of money resources. I do think that over seas allowences shoudl be kept in place though. One of the guys on my course mentioned that one of his crew mates while deployed complained that because he had so much sea time that his sea pay out grossed his foreign duty allowances and such shoudl not have to loose his sea pay while deployed and such should keep his sea pay. this shows me that this is a wage and not an allowence. the memeber won and kept his sea pay. enough i see it all the the time i am owed this and that instead of i deserve this and that.

Back