• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighter Pilot

Zoomie said:
or... you could go over to the helicopter unit and get in some flying while being able to get out from time to time to stretch your legs.

Or, in the case of an Aurora, go and have a meal.  ;)

SupersonicMax,

I was wondering if there are any posting opportunities for pilots?

Cold Lake and Bagotville are the figther bases in Canada.  Ground jobs are normally in Ottawa or Winnipeg, with the possibility of going to the US or Germany.  You may have to do some time in training units, like 2 CFFTS in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  There are a few flying exchange possible, namely in the US (California(Navy F-18), South Carolina(Marine Corps, F-18) and Alaska(USAF F-16)), and the Netherland (F-16).

wow, that was a dumb post by me.  I meant to ask about postings outside of Canada.  Thanks for being nice.  :facepalm:

-How difficult is it to switch over to an F-16 from a CF-18?(or between any two fighters for that matter) In terms of flying.  Landing on an Aircraft Carrier after being used to a runway?

-How competitive is it to get a flying exchange and how long do they last?

-I read from the forces.ca website that "Fast Jet (...includes Instructional duties on the Harvard II aircraft)" how many fast jet candidates get instructional duties? Did you instruct, and if so was it a highlight of training for you or something that was a struggle to get through?

Thanks for your responses and if you ever get tired of answering questions feel free to let me know.

LOLslamball said:
-How difficult is it to switch over to an F-16 from a CF-18?(or between any two fighters for that matter) In terms of flying.  Landing on an Aircraft Carrier after being used to a runway?

No idea, I haven't been on exchange yet.  However, I can't imagine it being that hard.  The concepts are the same, the systems & tactics are a bit different.  But from what people seem to say, it's not that complex. 

Only the Navy exchange pilot will do his Carrier Qual.  Seems like a lot of fun.

LOLslamball said:
-How competitive is it to get a flying exchange and how long do they last?

Quite competitive.  There is one position per exchange at any given time. Exchanges last 2-3 years.  A lot of it is timing.  But you need a strong file (both officership and flying) I forgot to mention there is also a UK exchange on the Tornado GR4. 

LOLslamball said:
-I read from the forces.ca website that "Fast Jet (...includes Instructional duties on the Harvard II aircraft)" how many fast jet candidates get instructional duties? Did you instruct, and if so was it a highlight of training for you or something that was a struggle to get through?

After you get your wings on the Hawk, you are either streamed to Fighters or to Instructor.  This is what they mean.  I have not instructed and went straight to Hornets.  I am not sure of the ratios and it depends on the needs of the CF in the end.  Some guys will go back to Moose Jaw after a few years of flying the Hornet and instruct on the Harvard II or the Hawk.

Wow great post SupersonicMax!

Just 1 more question. Once you have completed the CF18 course at 410 in Cold Lake, how the CF decide if you are posted to Cold Lake or Bagotville? If you are a french guy, do you have priority to go to Bagotville?

Hello everyone,

since i was a kid, i wanted to become a fighter pilot. I know, just like any other kids.... It's been 7+ years and counting i have had a passion for aviation. I have spent countless hours on simulation games. I am now coming up to the part of my life where i need to make a choice for my career. I hear people say all the time: i regret it so much, I didn't follow my dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. I don't want this to happen to me. I am in secondary 4 in highschool in Quebec and i have to make a college choice for next year. What is the best career path for someone looking forward to becoming an officer/pilot in the RCAF? Any tips? Anyways I am thinking about joining the cadets in the next days. I have taken in consideration the royal military college in Kingston. Thanks in advance for all of the helpfull answers!

:cdn: and proud to be!  :nod:

Flyingismything said:
since i was a kid, i wanted to become a fighter pilot. I know, just like any other kids....

No, not "just like any other kids".

I wanted to be a Tac Hel Pilot, because my parents were married, I wanted to be a net benefit to society, and I valued my reputation.

Flyingismything said:
I hear people say all the time: i regret it so much, I didn't follow my dreams of becoming a fighter pilot.

Then I shall be a source of refreshment for you. I had no such dreams, and have no such regrets.

Flyingismything said:
Thanks in advance for all of the helpfull answers!

Well, mine wasn't, but I don't regret that either.

Take a look at some of the other threads in the recruiting and Air Force forums before posting; there is a lot of info in there. This one is specific to fighter pilot:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/103289.0.html

Additionally, understand that you do not join "as a fighter pilot". You will join as a Pilot Candidate and be processed into one of three streams after your basic flight training is complete. In my personal opinion, I think the best path forward at your age is aiming towards being a successful ROTP candidate at whatever university, RMC or civy.

Okay, I count two actual questions in here, so I'll give 'em a try.

Flyingismything said:
What is the best career path for someone looking forward to becoming an officer/pilot in the RCAF?

Do you mean what program of study? Might I suggest mechanical engineering? Gives you something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out for you.

Any tips?

See about a thousand other threads in these forums for examples.

It's been said that for every 800 people who walk through the doors of the CFRC wanting to become a pilot, one actually earns his wings.

That person then has a ~25% chance of being selected for the fast-jet stream, give or take, depending on the needs of the CF.

For ROTP, you'll be going up against applicants with 90% averages in high school, captains of sports teams, hundreds of volunteer hours, 6+ years of cadets, maybe some with experience in the reserves, and maybe some who already have their pilot's license. Hopefully, you've done a thing or to that will make you competitive.

You have a passion for aviation? Why not become a commercial pilot? Why limit yourself to fighters?

Loachman said:
I wanted to be a Tac Hel Pilot, because my parents were married,
My parents were married...to each other... so I know that airplanes are for jumping out of.  :nod:

As for the actual question(s)...... I got nothin' 

Dear colleagues, fellow aspiring and working pilots,

I am currently on a life mission to become a fighter pilot for the CF. As many of you, I dreamed of one day becoming a pilot in the army when I was kid. I built model airplanes and read about different fighter jets starting at the age of 9. Subsequently, I started getting poor vision and being a kid I listened to my parents and teachers, who told me I'll never be a pilot with my eyesight problems. So eventually I stopped thinking about pursuing this as a career, until several months ago... My girlfriend learned about my childhood dream and got me an intro flight lesson as a gift and I took the lesson. It was probably the best day of my life. Anyway, I had just finished film school and I was happy with my career choice but not passionate. I've spent weeks now researching the about the Canadian Air Forces and the rigorous process some of you out there have gone through in order to fuel your flame for flying :salute: . I am actually going back to school in Sept. to finish my bachelors degree and to start applying to the CF as a pilot. I'll also be doing iLasik surgery to correct my vision. In case anyone had the same concern I had, corrected vision is ok, you just have to wait 6 months and 1 day after the day of the surgery in order to apply.

I was wondering if anyone had advice for me, I am at a crossroad with which degree to choose. Several years ago I started my Bachelors of Psychology, but I'm almost positive that wont fly with the selection committee, excuse the pun. I was looking at majoring in geography and minoring in film as a back up. Geography correlates a lot more than psychology to piloting, therefore it might look better in my application. Also, Ill learn valuable lessons on weather, maps, etc. Is there another degree that you pilots took that helped you not only in the application process but in your jobs as pilots?

Thanks

P.S. Does the army look at your highschool grades or just your university gpa when you apply?  I'm thinking of paying for my degree on my own and not taking the governments dollar to avoid the risk of being drafted as an officer and possibly not getting a position as a pilot.

Any volunteering position suggestions?

Lastly, will the recruiting committee like to see that I am also involved in film and entertainment as a hobby/business or as "extra-curricular"? Or should I solely show them airplane, martial arts related things?

Welcome.

Please do a search. There is a lot of information here for the aspiring pilot.

Much of it very recent.

Please read all that you can find here. I'm sure you'll get your answers.

Also, please read the Site Guidelines very soon.

Milnet.ca Staff

AGD or anyone else,

Besides Mechanical Engineering, could you suggest any other degrees to take, to enhance our applications. Would geography be a good course to study? Would an applicant even have a shot with a psychology degree?

And do they look at only your univ. gpa or at highschool grades as well?

Science/Physics, Engineering or Math Degrees (will leave options open to you for test pilot if interested).

You might be surprised to learn that there are pilots in the training system with Music degrees.  So that said, I don't see why a psych degree would be out of the question.

Have any university transcripts ready along with your highschool transcript - they will likely want to see everything.

Corey said:
Science/Physics, Engineering or Math Degrees (will leave options open to you for test pilot if interested).

You might be surprised to learn that there are pilots in the training system with Music degrees.  So that said, I don't see why a psych degree would be out of the question.

Some might be surprised at how smart some people with the most "useless" degrees are...

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am in the process of changing my major for the upcoming semester.

I am considering a "useless" degree in order to get a higher gpa. I am just worried about my high school transcript, because I wasn't motivated back then and I had no aspirations. Do you guys think my outrageous grades from highschool will effect the committee's decision, even if my univ. grades are high?

thanks

Back