• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Filing System

Arrrghh!  1000-1 is the bane of senior RMS individuals like myself because it is constantly used improperly by so many as a catchall file number.  The proper file number for Leave is 5500-1. 

I am writing a memo to move out of the shacks.  What file number and reference should I use?

stealthylizard said:
I am writing a memo to move out of the shacks.  What file number and reference should I use?

5420 -1 which is "Housing Administration - General" would probably work, as for reference you might want to look at either your base standing orders or unit standing orders but I would not put a reference down as it is a fairly common memo.

Aerobicrunner said:
Arrrghh!  1000-1 is the bane of senior RMS individuals like myself because it is constantly used improperly by so many as a catchall file number.  The proper file number for Leave is 5500-1.

I used to use all the proper file system numbers. Apparently, I was the only one that did ;). I was asked by the OR to stop and go generic because everytime I sent in a memo, they had to start a new folder ;D

Letter ref Medical Records to DMC3?  any one have any idea what the # would be on that? or even have a digital copy of the filing numbers they can send me so I can search through them and see what might fit the closest?

You'd just use a standard letter format wouldn't you? (Released and looking to get back in)

Interally, the OR staff/intake staff would annotate the file appropriately.  :2c:

Wilder said:
Letter ref Medical Records to DMC3?  any one have any idea what the # would be on that? or even have a digital copy of the filing numbers they can send me so I can search through them and see what might fit the closest?

Wow. First time I've been on this thread and have never seen so many wrong comments about records management.

Not quite sure if I understand your question but if what you are doing is writing a letter respecting your own medical records, the most appropriate file number is using your own service number.

If on the other hand the letter relates to medical records in general then file number: 5227-1 (Service Personnel - Documentation and Records - Medical - General) is probably a useful DSCDS number for the file.

Unfortunately, as you may see from some of the comments above, while there is an official overarching filing system for DND, many clerks are not as well trained as they might be and many local variations exist.

FJAG said:
......... while there is an official overarching filing system for DND, many clerks are not as well trained as they might be and many local variations exist.

That is a sad comment on the way things have gone.

George Wallace said:
That is a sad comment on the way things have gone.

The biggest problem we have is that amongst the first people that get cut whenever we have force reductions is our trained records management staff. They are few and far between these days.

I noted one comment above where the clerks discouraged people from filing to the proper DSCDS file numbers because they were creating too many files and told them to use 1000-1 instead . People should however use a variety of DSCDS primaries because that is exactly how the system is designed to work. The various DSCDS file numbers we have are designed to identify how long given files are to be retained before being either destroyed or sent for archiving. With the exception of operational reports and returns everything else in the 1000 primary gets ash canned after 1, 2 or 3 years.

FJAG, Thank you for the response. Too bad I didn't get on here to check out responses sooner

I just ended up making sure my SN was on the letter.  (I'm a civy now anyways) and I have a copy here at home in case any changes are needed.  I'm sure DMC3 will read it anyways.  And yes it was reference to my own medical records that are currently there still (10 months later)

Back