• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Filing System

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Can anyone here show me what all the file numbers are for when writing a memo? I know 100-1 is for General Admin..

any help folks?

I just learned this stuff out today on my PLQ course MOD 5.  ;D

If you are on the DWAN, look at:

http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/NDRLS/Default.asp

You can drill down on categories for specific file numbers.

I don't know of other sites with such info or of a publication with them all nicely listed, though I'm sure such a thing exists.

I was looking through the link provided, but for an OT would it just fall under 1000-1?

I used to use the filing system until the clerks asked me to stop. Seems they, and everyone else, used and  filed almost everything under 1000-1, and knew how to find it somehow. When I started using all the other numbers, the drawers were full of folders with nothing but my single memo in each one. ;D

tree hugger said:
I was looking through the link provided, but for an OT would it just fall under 1000-1?

Try your last three and your Surname in brackets.

The round one in the corner usually works well for filing items.    ;D

tree hugger said:

I would probably use

5600-1 POSTINGS AND TRANSFERS Correspondence pertaining to the posting and transferring of military personnel including policy, procedures and costing, various types of transfers, etc.

So it's the weekend and I don't have access to the DIN... Does anyone know off of the top of their head the file number for a cancellation of leave memo?  Would 1000-1 be the best number to use?

justascubadiver said:
So it's the weekend and I don't have access to the DIN... Does anyone know off of the top of their head the file number for a cancellation of leave memo?  Would 1000-1 be the best number to use?

I would use 5060 - 2  (Benefits, Leave)

5060- SERVICE PERSONNEL - BENEFITS
-02 Home for Annuitants Retirement Plan (HARP)?

Or is my PAM that outdated ?

I got the info from a file index listing dated 13 May 06. I have no idea if this is still current.

Assuming that my PAM is not out of date, I would have used,

5500- SERVICE PERSONNEL - LEAVE
3 Annual Leave

EDITED TO ADD

Mine must be out of date..... last change 1991-03-01. But would they have changed the file numbers by that much?

How about:

5500-1
xxx (Pers)

This allows the document to be filed in the subject matter file folder as well as the individuals pers file.  Far too often correspondence is pa'd on the individuals file and not in the subject file and then when the members pers file is sent elsewhere, and a question arises as to a matter that mysteriously can no longer be found on the members pers file, we are able to check the subject file to find the document.

Perhaps I should stick to 1000-1 for now and let them tell me to correct it if it needs to be done.

Back