• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Finally an answer

MaDB0Y_021

Inactive
Reaction score
Heck yeah, haha!

I've just receive (two days ago to be more precise) a job offer for what I've been waiting for for months:

MOSID: 00339 CBT ENG

Eventually, I accepted the offer!

Now, I'm just waiting for my reassignment and my message posting for my next course!!

DAWG, I'm so fired up and motivated. I think the last time I was that fired up was when I left home for my IAP-BOTP courses back in Summer 2008. Can't wait to get back in training!!!

Just wondering... How long can it take to receive any news about the fact that I accepted that offe?

YAY!  :salute: :cdn:

Congratulations, go get'm tiger!  I mean, DAWG!  :camo:
good luck on your course and keep that attitude.

cheers,
Frank

Yay! Thank you, PanaEng!

Haha, honestly, I wasn't expecting a reply to my thread, but hey, it feels good to get a message of motivation by other members.

Yes, haha! That's what I want for a long time. Now, I read everywhere that Combat Arms re-open in April (or something like that) so I guess I should have my reassignment and message-posting around that time! Just a few weeks left, hopefully!!

Joe

I PM'ed you, by the way, if you don't mind

Awesome. You will enjoy your 3's you get to do some cool stuff. :)

I just put my CT in from Pres engineer to Reg a week ago. I can't wait either.

ZipperZ said:
Awesome. You will enjoy your 3's you get to do some cool stuff. :)

I just put my CT in from Pres engineer to Reg a week ago. I can't wait either.

Yay for you! Will you have to redo your course or...? If so, perhaps we'll meet!

And what's a "3's" and "4's"?

Good on ya,
Good luck and when you pass out welcome to our small clan.

Nick

UBIQUE

Thank you, Spr.Earl!

Can't wait to be a member of that small clan!

quote author=MaDB0Y_021 link=topic=92354/post-915355#msg915355 date=1268032903]
And what's a "3's" and "4's"?
[/quote]

These terms are jargon or shorthand.

3s - Basic Occupation Training - the first truly occupation/trade related training after Recruit training.

4s - More advance occupation training.  The number of courses, and how the training is delivered varies by occupation.  Normally required in order to become a Trained Private - signified by a single chevron.

This terminology dates back to the old days, when it related to Pay Levels, then in the 70s/80s was changed to refer to Trade Qualification Levels.  The terminology is changing again with introduction of Development Periods.

BCOG

BC Old Guy said:
4s - More advance occupation training.  The number of courses, and how the training is delivered varies by occupation.  Normally required in order to become a Trained Private - signified by a single chevron.

This terminology dates back to the old days, when it related to Pay Levels, then in the 70s/80s was changed to refer to Trade Qualification Levels.  The terminology is changing again with introduction of Development Periods.

BCOG

No such beast in the Engineer World there BCOG, after our 3's and time in the Regiment (Reg Force guys help me out if I am wrong) your get your hook, in the Reserve World after you complete the 7th MOD on Section Member Course you get your hook (generally)...

QL 5 = Some what more advanced Trades Course, quals you to be a Cpl and a Section 2I/C in a Field Section.

I'm not sure if it's still referred to officially at the Regts as such, but courses like MG, Driver Wheel, Driver Track, LAV III, Comms, Cbt Storeman, etc. all used to be referred to as QL4 courses, which in essence, one of which was done prior to be "promoted" to Pte(T). With the current Op Tempo, it's more common than not for a young lad (or lass) to miss out on those Regt School courses and still be "promoted" to a one hook Spr. Of course, before TFA reared its ugly head, there actually was time to cover off these courses as well as actually do something other than CS Engr work in the COIN sense, so the new Sprs actually did get "trained" on something other than the pretty narrow skillset being used right now in theatre :2c:

Regardless, after 30 months (I think - it's been a while since I was a Spr  ;) ) of paid service, a young Spr is getting their first hook whether or not they've done any of the PCF courses....

Well, that last post of 392 brought new questions in my mind.

If I got it well, QL4 is a regimental course where the Private learn to drive a LAV, to fire a MG, Radio Comms (what's Driver Wheel and Track and Cbt Storeman?)? And those courses are usually done within the 30 months prior to having the chevron, right? Then QL5 and 6 and whatever comes next.
By narrow skillset, do you mean that nowadays, it's all about IEDs and fighting as an Infantryman?

What is CS Engr?

Thanks for the answer

Driver wheel = learn how to drive green army stuff with wheels (MLVW, LUVW, LSVW);
Driver track = M113, M577, M548 (does anyone even still employ 548s?)
Cbt Storeman = learning the very bone basics of the supply world from a Cbt Arms perspective. More or less how to order stuff properly through the system...

CS Engr = Close Support Engineer. In the Afghan theatre, we're mostly fighting as another Inf section, conducting search tasks, conducting some vertical construction and getting the occasional stray tank out of minefields ;) CS Engineering involves far more than that - mine / counter-mine and bridging are two examples that come to mind - but there's not much of that being done. CIED is not soley an Engr responsibility, even though Engrs make up 3/4 of that organization. It is however completely separate from the Fd Sqn (who is conducting the close Engineer support to the Battle Group), and is a skill (IEDD Op that is) that requires some additional training that's not for everyone.

NFLD Sapper said:
No such beast in the Engineer World there BCOG, after our 3's and time in the Regiment (Reg Force guys help me out if I am wrong) your get your hook, in the Reserve World after you complete the 7th MOD on Section Member Course you get your hook (generally)...

QL 5 = Some what more advanced Trades Course, quals you to be a Cpl and a Section 2I/C in a Field Section.

As mentioned in my original post, the number of courses and method of training varied by occupation.  In some cases the occupation required training in one or more basic speciality skill - Driver Wheeled, Machine Gun, etc, for the designation of Trained Private/ QL 4 qualified.  It is possible that, and likely, that some occupations had no training requirements.

Since the question was about 3s and 4s,  even if the Engineers do not have any formal training, it is helpful to be aware that others do.

In any case, the terminology is outdated, as the current system is set up as a number of Development Periods, with the DP 1 being Recruit and initial occupation training.

BCOG

Thank you for the input, BCOG.

I'm just waiting for that date so I can go do my DP1 Cbt Eng! I'm pumped!

Sorry to butt in, but I'm still a bit confused about 3s and 4s...
I was under the impression that they were a type of clothing becuase the RMC newspaper e-veritas did an article that said first year students are required to wear 4's until authorized by the CWC.  ???

Oh well there's your mistake, making the assumption that the acronyms and abbreviations that we use on a daily basis can't also mean more than one thing in different contexts. Yes, it's confusing. It'll take you a year or so to get used to it after you get in.

Back