• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fire breaks out at DND building in Gatineau

acen

Inactive
Reaction score
Looks like LSL is up for a little bit of a refit. Perhaps an earlier move to Carling?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/fire-louis-st-laurent-building-1.3546556

Roof has caved in behind where you see the damage on the front of the building.  It's going to leave a mark.

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0083.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0083.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 20160421_111736.jpg
    20160421_111736.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 435
acen said:
Looks like LSL is up for a little bit of a refit. Perhaps an earlier move to Carling?

455 de la Carriere and LStL are not moving to the Carling campus.  Or at least it wasn't planned...

jollyjacktar said:
Roof has caved in behind where you see the damage on the front of the building.  It's going to leave a mark.

My understanding is that the roof was torn open to help vent the flames.  Either way this is going to take months to fix.  My building has been advised toprepare for LSTL refugees.

Remius said:
My understanding is that the roof was torn open to help vent the flames.  Either way this is going to take months to fix.  My building has been advised toprepare for LSTL refugees.

If you look at the opening, there's no sign or indication of fire on the edges and the size of the hole is substantial.  The hole appeared suddenly about half an hour after I went over to Montfort this morning (around 0930 according to a guy on the Air Force floors who watched it happen that I spoke with, he didn't mention flames shooting out),  also there was no sign of flames along the broken open windows across the front at that time (0900). 

This, is going to take many months to repair.  I think we'll be seeing some of the neighbours come across to stay here too.  I'm asking if I can sublet some of my cubicle for some extra whiskey money.  ;D

Remius said:

Yep! That's the new government of Canada for you: We'll take refugees from anywhere without checking their background  [:D.

We could just send them all to those nice new cadet barracks.  >:D

jollyjacktar said:
This, is going to take many months to repair.  I think we'll be seeing some of the neighbours come across to stay here too.  I'm asking if I can sublet some of my cubicle for some extra whiskey money.  ;D

I suggested to our boss that we 455 DLC dwellers can work from here for one week, and then the LStL residents can have our cubicles for a week.  It's the only fair way.  ;D

I recommend modular tents and self-digging defensive works they can work from, consider it a form of multi-tasking, team building and career growth all in one.

Sure, people are concerned about where the workers in that building are going to hang their hats if the building is out of commission for any period of time, but the really critical question that needs to be asked is: 

When will the Tim Horton's Express be back in operation?

/dark roast addict

Colin P said:
I recommend modular tents and self-digging defensive works they can work from, consider it a form of multi-tasking, team building and career growth all in one.

Honestly, modular tents aren't the greatest option come the fall, because we end up spending a fortune heating them, but building a large NCR FOB out of ATCO trailers is probably a more realistic option than relying on our procurement and contracting system. After all, many people spent many years trying to turn KAF into NDHQ -- why not return the favor?

I can think of two units in the NCR that are already living out of ATCO trailers. This might be the latest trend in military architecture.

Colin P said:
Heat? hell they can burn draft briefing notes and forms if they want heat.  8)

Burning paper is considering ecologically unsound by our environmentally friendly authorities at the Federal level. Paper is to be collected, shredded, contracted out, and turned into compost for our next generation of trees which will be then slaughtered to be used as paper to write pointless briefing notes and forms.

Plus Gatineau has a bylaw against burning things, anti-burning bylaws seem to be cropping up across the country.

What if the displaced are relocated to front-line units across the CAF?  Would anyone notice a reduction in HQ staff?  Would anyone care?
:pT:

cavalryman said:
What if the displaced are relocated to front-line units across the CAF?  Would anyone notice a reduction in HQ staff?  Would anyone care?
:pT:

You obviously do not know what the majority of the people that work at this building do.  They are not paper pushers that work in a headquarters.  Most work for ADM(Mat), i.e. the people that get you your new kit, vehicles, planes, ships, shelters, etc. and they are the people that ensure that the current stuff gets fixed.  How well do you think the front line units would work without that stuff?

Scoobs said:
You obviously do not know what the majority of the people that work at this building do.  They are not paper pushers that work in a headquarters.  Most work for ADM(Mat), i.e. the people that get you your new kit, vehicles, planes, ships, shelters, etc. and they are the people that ensure that the current stuff gets fixed.  How well do you think the front line units would work without that stuff?

:dunno: Same guys that get us new boots, mukluks and CADPAT? :whistle:

How about the Constitution Bldg?  Could it be used as swing space while repairs are done on LSL?

Scoobs said:

So what you're saying is that the CAF won't see all that much of a degradation in Operational effectiveness by have that facility, and people out of operation for a while  [:) .

recceguy said:

How about RECCE Vehicles that we can't do RECCE work with?  I see this as a win win.  Opportunity here to fix a Broken (Now burned out) systems.

Scoobs said:
Actually....  ;D

recceguy said:
I'm surprised it took as long as it did to see this response!  ;D
sticker,375x360.png

Back