• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Posting, First Move - Advice with Brookfield Please

combatfriar

Inactive
Reaction score
I cannot register with Brookfield until my COS date passes.  (1 July).  My RFD is 1 Aug.

Seems a little tight to register, have a consultation, book and take a HHT and organize a move.

Wondering if I can list my home, make an offer on the new home etc.  PRIOR to registering with Brookfield. 

I heed the warning not to incur expenses, or pay for services as they might not be reimbursed -but- can I make an offer or accept a conditional offer as long as no financial transactions take place?

Looking for some advice.  Much appreciate 

That does not sound right.  The COS date is the day you should start to travel to your new location.  Do you have your posting message?  A month between COS and RFD seems a bit much unless you are taking a lot of leave.

I'm pretty sure you can register before your COS as long as your message has been cut.

Yes not sure if they have changed it or not, but while I was on my QL3, we were still on course and students were registered and going on weekend HHT's. Was it Brookfield that told you this, or your course staff?

Thanks all.

Some context:

This is a CT situation with my first posting a province away.

My message will not be cut til one week before the COS date. 

I will not be entered into the system to pre register etc. til the message is cut. 

I asked for the RFD date to be pushed to the right by 30 days to give myself some admin time.

So the question at hand is- given the time constraints, what can I put into motion prior to be registered with Brookfield?  I don't want to incur an expense or engage a service that cannot be reimbursed.

Thanks!

combatfriar said:
I will not be entered into the system to pre register etc. til the message is cut. 

As it is with any posting. You do not exist, as far as the system is concerned, until a posting message exists.

CDN Aviator,

You nailed the crux of the situation.  All I have is a letter of offer a COS date and a RFD date.  Until that message is generated and I am in the system I cannot move forward with Brookfield.

In the meantime....we have found a house that we want to put a conditional offer on, and we have a realtor prepared to list our current home - BUT I do not want to jeopardize my entitlements by making commitments before we are registered - If that is the case.

hmmmm - until you have a message you only have a tentative COS and RFD date. 

Still strange though that with a cost move involved the message is cut a week prior to COS, especially 1 Jul.  You would be extremely lucky to get a moving company at that point as the first 2 weeks of Jul are the busiest and most likely already damn close to fully booked if not already there.  Then there is the 1 week for hht along with 5 days of pack/load/pers admin.  Thats 2 weeks there that have to be allowed for when cutting the message.  Of course there is the question of why they would even wait to cut a message if they already have the information for it?  Is it a case of playing it safe in case the member fails training and not wanting to cut another message cancelling/amending the posting? 

My understanding is that if you do anything prior to the message you may be out of luck.  You could try talking to Brookfield in general terms - some of them will give general advise that may help.  IE if Cpl Bloggins did this he may be entitled to claim this but not that.

The reason I posted here was due to the fact that I cannot contact, discuss, ask, etc.  Brookfield til I am in the system.

So very frustrating that there is no contact number, or source of information prior to registering.

Thanks for the information you all shared - still leaves me wondering what I can do or not do before I am registered. 

Much obliged.

For what it is worth, i have sold a house before a posting message and was still reimbursed as per normal. The rate cannot exceed what the government pays, which is not the normal local comission rate.

Back