• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness Standards

• Thread starter Thread starter madchicken
  • Start date Start date
GAP said:
While the different scales of measuring fitness are interesting, we are getting away from the basic premise that ALL personnel must be in such a physical shape as to .......do what?

Operate as a basic rifleman where extenuating situations warrant....?
        you are trained on firing a rifle, thus are expected to be able to operate one in extraordinary situations, even though your trade does not normally do that.

Pass an arbitrary level of fitness to presume the entire force is capable of going on operation, or only for physical well being...?

..To be in better shape than the average public.To be able to be thrown into dangerous physical demanding situations and be able to physically cope,due to a higher level of fitness across the board.

..to put less strain on our medical facilities,by having healthy soldiers who are FORCED to reach a standard to be retained.

...To ensure a level of fitness is achieved in our senior ranks,by providing testing prior to being able to advance on career courses.

..To maintain a positive image of fitness to the Canadian public.

..To be able to acclimatise to extreme meteorological conditions quickly.Providing a higher level of service from tail to tooth.

As me and Roy discussed it all comes down to leadership.However we all have those leaders who view acceptable PT to be completing a 13km walk.A institutional change including a new developed test for the Canadian forces across the board would ensure a all around level of fitness.A blunt feedback by a written score to the soldier.Showing their weakness and strength.And a career implications where physical fitness fits into PER points.We compare language profiles on the PER,I cannot see why fitness couldn't be worth 2 points.

Thank you....that clarified the focus.....

X-mo-1979 said:
..To be in better shape than the average public.To be able to be thrown into dangerous physical demanding situations and be able to physically cope,due to a higher level of fitness across the board.

..to put less strain on our medical facilities,by having healthy soldiers who are FORCED to reach a standard to be retained.

...To ensure a level of fitness is achieved in our senior all ranks,by providing testing prior to being able to advance on career courses.

..To maintain a positive image of fitness to the Canadian public.

..To be able to acclimatise to extreme meteorological conditions quickly.Providing a higher level of service from tail to tooth.

As me and Roy discussed it all comes down to leadership.However we all have those leaders who view acceptable PT to be completing a 13km walk.A institutional change including a new developed test for the Canadian forces across the board would ensure a all around level of fitness.A blunt feedback by a written score to the soldier.Showing their weakness and strength.And a career implications where physical fitness fits into PER points.We compare language profiles on the PER,I cannot see why fitness couldn't be worth 2 points.

Fixed that for you ;) Gotta watch how that brush is waved around. 8)

recceguy said:
Fixed that for you ;) Gotta watch how that brush is waved around. 8)

Very true.
I was thinking more so the 5's 6a 6b.However in retrospect it could be applied to  PLQ for sure.

Just some additional background that is relevant to the soldier of today's philosophy on physical fitness - yes I am a rules and policy kind of guy.

The Cdn Human Rights Act and the National Defence Act set out the arcs of fire for the CDS.  The Cdn Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT) have recognized Universaltity of Service as a bona fide occupational requirement. 

According to DAOD 5023-2 - "Physical fitness standards are based on, and have been scientifically validated against, the performance requirements of general, environmental, military occupation and operational duties."

As a result of tribunal challenges the CF has established, "Common Military Tasks as a Basis for Minimum Physical Fitness Standards.

The MPFS are derived from the following five common military tasks which a CF member might be expected to perform in a time of emergency:

- sea evacuation;
- land stretcher evacuation;
- low-high crawl;
- entrenchment dig; and
- sandbag carry.

If a CF member fails MPFS or occupational standard the member is IAW DAOD 5023-2 "placed in a remedial physical fitness training program":

- is normally in the remedial program for a twelve-week period; and

- re-evaluated upon completion.

If service requirements preclude adequate remedial physical fitness training during the twelve-week remedial physical fitness training period, the period may be extended but the total period shall not exceed six months."

With the agreement of the CF member and the CF member's CO, in consultation with the applicable PSP physical fitness advisor and CF medical care provider, the CF member may be evaluated before the end of the twelve-week period."

This the basis of the remedial program in St-Jean and that which guides the COs of today.  The Cooper's Test has not been "scientifically validated against, the performance requirements of general, environmental, military occupation and operational duties" or been declared as evaluating the bona fide occupational requirements of employment by CHRT.

X-mo-1979 said:
Very true.
I was thinking more so the 5's 6a 6b.However in retrospect it could be applied to  PLQ for sure.

Actually, I was speaking of everyone at every rank level. Let's not confine this to just ORs or NCMs.

Simian Turner said:
The MPFS are derived from the following five common military tasks which a CF member might be expected to perform in a time of emergency:

- sea evacuation;
- land stretcher evacuation;
- low-high crawl;
- entrenchment dig; and
- sandbag carry.[/i]

First off thanks for telling me who made these fitness requirements.I had figured it was not the CF.How is the 13km actually testing any of these requirements?And before someone says the trench dig...I have never had the pleasure of digging in loose pebbles!

Seeming these requirements are vague and lacking what about:
-Pulling heavy weight (i.e dead bodies,injured comrades,ammo crates)
-running quickly over short distances for cover
etc etc.

Is it time maybe for a review with the CHRT to develope a realistic goal for fitness requirements?How does one go about challenging the current system?
I believe many civilians (after reading about our very low standards)and military people are ready for a change in our fitness testing.

Another solution would be to test based on the army fitness manual.Here is a "scientific developed" overall test with levels.How hard would it be to use this already developed higher level of fitness?Or rather how would the CHRT be able to deny us wanting to improve physical fitness?

Better question.Instead of discussing this consistently on this board,how do jnr/nco's Snr NCO's go about trying to change the current norm.As it is not working.

Back