• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness test push up question

Push ups where easy, although 6 people failed on push ups. They put a mat on the floor, its about 2 inchs high from the floor.
You have to touch your chin on it, elbows touching your sides and hands under shoulders. I did 25 push ups, although i know i can do about 30-35 at home.

no you can't stop.

i did mine at the end of last May. i didnt find the push-ups to be all that hard. had a bit of trouble at the very end with the step-test (coordination). i stopped at 25 push-ups, 27 sit-ups, grip test=passed, and step test= passed. i found that for someone who never exercises regularly, dieting and some good weekly training (8 weeks in advance) was very beneficial. i only like team sports, not big on lifting weights/running. i only do it occasionally and usually only if i dont have to, but now i have to---applied for the Boatswain moc(Navy). waiting for the Selections Committee to approve me (sept 15th).  good luck to all aspiring applicants. hope you guys make it in. BMQ this winter is gonna be heck but im sure we'll make it if we support each other.

Dr.No youre so right. brings back bad memories during the step test. i hated that cassette. grip>>situps>>pushups>>step...glad it was over. i was drenched. lol.  btw, i did mine in Nautilus Plus, Brossard, Quebec. anybody else live here/close by?

Hooya :army:

When i did mine u went until u couldn't continue or until they stopped you.  One with bad form and they don't count it and a second you are stopped....so focus on form or u might get stopped with a lot left in you.

Just a little peice of advice....when i did mine, at about 6 or 7, i got called on not going down far enough, so i stopped midway on my way back up, went back down to complete the pushup, then went back up.  my advice is, if you get called on one, DON'T STOP MIDWAY THROUGH A PUSHUP!!! it can make for one difficult pushup.  plus, i wound  up missing 4 or 5 to tell the truth.  i didn't miss 2 in a row but i wound up having to do 24-25 just to pass. but i was never asked to stop for missing too many. but i imagine that would all have to do with the person you're with.

(I'm sure there is) but is there a minimum amount of sit-ups/push-ups you have to complete before you push yourself for more and if (what im sure will be a) yes what is the minimum number?

skura said:
(I'm sure there is) but is there a minimum amount of sit-ups/push-ups you have to complete before you push yourself for more and if (what im sure will be a) yes what is the minimum number?

You do your best!!

When over Seas are you going too ask "Whats the Minimum?"!!
I think not!!

Prepare for it and do the best you can because that's what the Military is all about!
No matter if you are the lowest as long as you have given it your best!!
Attitude People,Attitude!!

The tester told me that the minimum push ups and sit ups anyone should do before BMQ is 30.

jarko said:
The tester told me that the minimum push ups and sit ups anyone should do before BMQ is 30.

I'll push myself to do more...I wanna able to do atleast 30 by the time I start training...but like Spr. Earl said;

"You do your best"

skura said:
jarko said:

I'll push myself to do more...I wanna able to do atleast 30 by the time I start training...but like Spr. Earl said;

Do your best

Hey kiddies when I was 41/42 doing pre selection with 3 VP I could do 30 push up's,20 odd sit up's and just nearly made doing 12 full arm chin up's!!.
Now come on don't tell me you youngn;s cant do that!
If you want it that bad you will prepare your self and beat the standards!!!

It's all ATTITUIDE!!

You want it that bad you will do what it ever takes you to gain what you want!!

In Combat Arms there is no such word in our dictionary as a "MINIMUM" only "MAXIMUM" effort!!
Remember that!

skura said:
jarko said:

"You do your best"

for the love of God man recruiters/testers should attend a basic recruiting course where all of them all across canada  LEARN to give everyone the same no bs assessment of how well to do or what applicants should do b4 getting in.

had i known i needed 30, i would not have stopped at 25pushups and 27situps. i was told we are graded on a pass/fail basis. and the passing for my age group is 19 pushups & situps. my logic was to conserve energy for the entire fitness test and not overdo it on one element.

im sure im not the only one to say "damn i wish someone told me so before my application was done". i really hate all these hidden elements of the Forces that we dont know about till we're belly up at the last gasp. i  mean is it really that hard to just give it to the public straight? is it asking too much? im sure the majority of applicants arent lacking in confidence (im certainly not), but i dont train for medals or ribbons, i play sports with kids, my buddies and whoever is willing for the luv of the experience. not to conquer other ppl and gloat. so obviously i wont be doing pushups like a Navy SEAL. and im sure not all of us (before we decided to enlist) had a regimented lifestyle like the canadian olympic team.

once again, thank God for this forum. whoever created this forum, thx a million. you guys really help us out and its nice to have someone looking out for the "little guy." you guys should be recruiters.

You don't need 30.  The magic number is 19.  However, anyone who contents themselves to put forth a minimum effort and can only do 19 will be in for a nasty surprise when they get into real training.

I've started practicing the "army push-up"...it's not as hard as I thought it was going but I haven't pushed myself yet to see how many I can do right now (I'm practicing the up - 2 - 3 - down - 2 - 3)...and I got to thinking is there an "army sit-up"...cause these push-ups are different then any push-up I've ever done...and what else is in the fitness portion of Basic Training, I've seen push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and I'm sure there's running...what else?

::EDIT:: Also what are the grips on the boots and mats like...I know when they make us to push-ups in school I tend to slip quite a bit and have to stop for a second to wipe my hands and get back in proper push-up form...and I know if I stop to fix my grip while in training I'm done...but if I'm slipping I'll do much less before my form is to bad and they stop me...

I'm having a difficult time keeping my elbows in towards my ribs...any suggestions that might help me out? I can do around 20 regular wide grip pushups, but when it comes time to put my hands under my shoulders, and keep the elbows in, I can only do three. Maybe I'm just not strong enough yet!

There was a suggestion earlier on this thread to do the push-ups on your knees at first, makes it easier and will help improve your strength...after some time doing them on your knees you can try it the normal way again...of course you can always do other exercises for your triceps to build them and get stronger that way, then try the army push-up again....

As for keeping your elbows in...as far as I know there's no real "technique"...it's just, well...keeping your elbows in :D

I can do about 15 of the army push-ups, and if the army sit-up is just a regular sit up I can do about 50 of those, or if it's crunches I do about 69-74 in one minute...so if anyone can tell me what the sit-ups are like in basic that'd be great

If you are having problems, try close grip bench press.  This excercise is great practice for "army" type pushups.  The very first time I tried army pushups I was able to do 30 nice slow controlled ones, and I do alot of bench work at the gym

Close grip meaning where your hands are when your doing the army push-up or close meaning your hands are above your face?

Well it would make sense to position your hands on the bar where they would be when doing pushups....

Its an almost identical motion except upside down so to speak, so it only makes sense.  It will strengthen all the required muscles needed to do pushups.  I would recommend keeping your reps so you reach failure around 6-8.  I have worked up to 315lbs for 12 reps using a close grip..

That sounds like so much, but then again, I may think differently in a year or two.

Back