• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Food

X_para76 said:
Good idea! IMHO nutrition is actually more like 80% of the equation. You can train your ass off but if you're not eating the right mix of protein, good carbs, and good fats it makes the process more difficult if not impossible. That being said genetics can make up for some dietary shortcomings but the average person needs to be very disciplined with their eating habits.

Very true.

I agree x_para76. Excercise is just the ripping of the tissues, and the nutrition is what builds them back up. Its hard as hell though to take things like Pizza Hut, or other great fast foods and snacks completly out of your diet, but theres nothing wrong with a treat here and there.  ^-^

In my experience the best results I have ever achieved were by training hard and eating clean for approximately 8 weeks. I had a reasonable base to start with but by being clean and consistent over that week period I achieved some very good results. After that period once I had a good lean body mass and had my metabolism ramped up I started to introduce the occasional "cheat meal" into my eating plan. However, because my body was so used to functioning on lower carbs by that point, one cheat meal didn't affect me in the least and actually gave me a little boost for my next workout.

Wow... ok, I wasn't sure how to answer this.  I know there are a lot of health concious people out there, and I am not really one of them.  I try to diet, and have been maintaining a "less than 285 lbs" mentality, but I am still considered "fluffy", as it were.  That said, my cardio is in the best condition it's ever been (except maybe BMQ), and I'm not doing too bad for an old fart.

So, for the health concious, they serve a variety of healthy options in any mess/galley you will visit in the CF.  And even more so now that they have introduced a "Blue Menu" at most of them.  We have the blue menu onboard our ship, and I gotta tell you, there are days when the blue menu appeals more so than the "third" option.

We also have "vegetarian" selections.  As well as Halal or Kosher for whomever requires it.  The CF is very accomodating to people's nutritionary requirements whilst respecting that person's religious beliefs or nutritional choices.

As for the food at BMQ...

They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  In the morning, noon, and evening.  It is all the good stuff I have described above, except it has a more "high school cafeteria / lunch lady land" type of a feel to it.  Actually, I might compare it to a hospital cafeteria with cuter girls working there (if the ones working there are the ones that were working there when I was at BMQ, that is...lol)

And for my fellow enjoyers of the duff (uh, desserts, not beer), they have the little ice creams you get at the hospital, or prepackaged OREOs.  And don't knock the prepacks...  Pocket yours, and you will have a snack for your break time between classes.  Just saying....

Bon appetit!!!

Rev

NavyHopeful said:
Wow... ok, I wasn't sure how to answer this.  I know there are a lot of health concious people out there, and I am not really one of them.  I try to diet, and have been maintaining a "less than 285 lbs" mentality, but I am still considered "fluffy", as it were.  That said, my cardio is in the best condition it's ever been (except maybe BMQ), and I'm not doing too bad for an old fart.

So, for the health concious, they serve a variety of healthy options in any mess/galley you will visit in the CF.  And even more so now that they have introduced a "Blue Menu" at most of them.  We have the blue menu onboard our ship, and I gotta tell you, there are days when the blue menu appeals more so than the "third" option.

We also have "vegetarian" selections.  As well as Halal or Kosher for whomever requires it.  The CF is very accomodating to people's nutritionary requirements whilst respecting that person's religious beliefs or nutritional choices.

As for the food at BMQ...

They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  In the morning, noon, and evening.  It is all the good stuff I have described above, except it has a more "high school cafeteria / lunch lady land" type of a feel to it.  Actually, I might compare it to a hospital cafeteria with cuter girls working there (if the ones working there are the ones that were working there when I was at BMQ, that is...lol)

And for my fellow enjoyers of the duff (uh, desserts, not beer), they have the little ice creams you get at the hospital, or prepackaged OREOs.  And don't knock the prepacks... Pocket yours, and you will have a snack for your break time between classes.  Just saying....

Bon appetit!!!

Rev

Would recomend you check the base policy on taking food out of the mess. I've never done it, I know people who have and have been caught and got a good jacking.

Yeah, my bad.  I forgot that there are rules, and that everyone follows them to the letter.  ::)

Anyways, at BMQ, it won't really matter what you eat anyways, because you will lose so much weight being run into the ground with all the PT you're gonna do anyways.  I mean, I lost some serious weight, and ate crap like pizza and fries for lunches.  And by serious weight, I'm talking like 80-something lbs.  All credited to PT out the yin-yang.  So watch what you eat, but remember, you gotta get through the day, too.

Good luck!

NavyHopeful said:
Yeah, my bad.  I forgot that there are rules, and that everyone follows them to the letter.  ::)

Anyways, at BMQ, it won't really matter what you eat anyways, because you will lose so much weight being run into the ground with all the PT you're gonna do anyways.  I mean, I lost some serious weight, and ate crap like pizza and fries for lunches.  And by serious weight, I'm talking like 80-something lbs.  All credited to PT out the yin-yang.  So watch what you eat, but remember, you gotta get through the day, too.

Good luck!

Well that's good, I wouldn't mind losing around 25-30 pounds  ;D

How many dairy-free options are there? In my experience with having buffet-style camp food in the oil rigs, there's a lot of cheesy foods, pastas with cream-based sauces, creamy soups, etc. so sometimes it's hard to get decent nutrition. Is BMQ/BMQ-L similar to that or will there be better, healthier options?

All I can say for sure is this:

About ten years ago, I worked as a civilian at Nellies block CFB Equimalt. I was there for about a year and a half. I ate there two meals/day, four days/week. 95% of the time the food was quite good. Once in a while there was a failure. They had an adequately stocked salad bar, fresh made sandwich station, pizza station, and the usual hot bar. I expect St. Jean will much the same. I will find out for sure in June.

I'm sure this sounds ridiculous, but I am actually excited to see what the field rations are all about!

yournamehere said:
I'm sure this sounds ridiculous, but I am actually excited to see what the field rations are all about!

Ya the field rat's are ok until you have to eat them cold. Also investing in something such as tobacco or Frank's hot sauce is well worth it. Just my  :2c:

X_para76 said:
Ya the field rat's are ok until you have to eat them cold. Also investing in something such as tobacco or Frank's hot sauce is well worth it. Just my  :2c:

They haven't put cigarettes in ration packs for years.......  ;)

A small (or large) bottle of siracha is pretty good moral booster when you're out in the field as well.

Robert0288 said:
A small (or large) bottle of siracha is pretty good moral booster when you're out in the field as well.

I know Sriracha does, but if you get Tabasco, put it in a plastic bottle. That smell will never come out, no matter how many times you hose your kit down.

Messorius said:
I know Sriracha does, but if you get Tabasco, put it in a plastic bottle. That smell will never come out, no matter how many times you hose your kit down.

Have you tried soap?

Let's see if we can put all of the fears of these young people to rest.

The CAF employs dieticians and nutritionists. They are excellent at what they do. In many cases that is putting together the menu, along with the chief cook, for people using our facilities and in the field.

They ensure there is a healthy, and not so healthy if you choose, menu available ALL the time.

There is carbs, there is protein, there is fruit, there is juices, there is milk and water. There is all kinds of domestic meats, fish and poultry.

There is Halal, there is Kosher, there is also vegetarian, both dairy and none dairy variety.

In a nutshell, all you people asking these question can be assured that you are not unique. You are not the first with special dietary needs. The CAF is all encompassing, inclusive and compassionate to those that have needs. Whether religious, dietary, self choice or otherwise.

In the end, you're going to have about five minutes to get your meal down your gob during basic. You are also going to have tons of other shit to do and on your mind without worrying if your bulking up, losing weight, the meat is medium well instead of medium rare as you like it or whether the meat was slaughtered according to kashrut or dhabihah. All that has already been taken into consideration for you, thanks to all the experts that the CAF has hired to ensure you get what you need to sustain yourselves for the work you're doing.

In the end, if nothing appeals to you, there's always corn flakes to fill up on.

Back