- Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on that which I'll freely admit are not without disadvantages nor are my final thoughts on the concept:The gene pool to select Infantry battalion COs is officers who have been rifle company OC. If you increase the number of battalions without increasing the number of rifle companies, then you are weakening the pool of potential COs. There will be more cases of people getting the job who do not deserve it. Single sub-unit battalions is a structural weakness that hampers generating good PRes COs; we should not import that to the Reg F even if the battalion is fleshed out with extra PRes companies.
- With the prerequisite that all Res F officers have the same training as their Reg F counterparts, even if concentrated and streamlined, I consider the ordinarily achievable rank by the Res F to be captain, with a smaller number of majors and very, very few LCols who will reach battalion command. I do expect that in 70/30 battalions many DCOs will be Res F;
- I expect most COs (and RSMs) to be Reg F regardless of whether they are 30/70 or 70/30 units;
- Regimental bunching will be stopped. The best majors across the force will be selected for promotion to CO regardless of what cap badge they wear. They will change cap badge to that of their new unit on posting (quite frankly I'd like to reduce the PPCLI, RCR and R22eR to one battalion each if for no other reason than to break up the regimental
cabalsfamilies that exist now);
- You can reduce the need for new COs annually by increasing command tours to three years which concurrently provides more stability to the unit. With the increased number of units, the number of experienced COs for higher command or staff positions would still be greater than now even with a three year tour;
- There are no single sub-unit battalions (although there are plenty of those right now in the Res F and when I was in the RCHA in the 70s we essentially had only six batteries feeding three regimental CO positions). Every unit, regardless of whether it is 30/70 or 70/30 has a full establishment of three to five company positions and a DCO that might be filled by Reg F majors and is fully manned albeit by a combination of Reg F and Res F.