• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Franklin Expedition

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
One step closer to solving an historical mystery.Good job

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lost-franklin-expedition-ship-found-in-the-arctic-1.2760311

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says one of Canada's greatest mysteries now has been solved, with the discovery of one of the lost ships from Sir John Franklin's doomed Arctic expedition.

"This is truly a historic moment for Canada," Harper said.

Pretty cool.

Stay away from the comments section unless you want to lose neurons.

Does everyone realize just how incredible this is???

The mystery of the Franklin expedition at the time was pretty much the same as if today, we sent a mission to mars, and it disappeared without a trace after landing on the planet...

This is an incredible discovery.

I had heard of the davit and wooden plug, but wasn't aware of finding a intact ship.  Amazing job, no wonder the PM was there for the unveiling. 

Sadly, the young guys here at work have never heard of Franklin or his expedition.  What are they teaching kids in school nowadays.  :not-again:

I visited the Beechy island graves a few years ago, it was a desolate far away place then, despite the large ship with modern communications anchored off-shore and the zodiac on the beach... I can just imagine how it was 150 years ago...

jollyjacktar said:
I had heard of the davit and wooden plug, but wasn't aware of finding a intact ship.  Amazing job, no wonder the PM was there for the unveiling. 

Sadly, the young guys here at work have never heard of Franklin or his expedition.  What are they teaching kids in school nowadays.  :not-again:

Do a quick survey and ask them to tell you, honestly, how many of them thought of THIS Franklin when you mentioned the name: :nod:

I am surprised in how far in they got before they got in trouble.....pretty good for the ships of the day.....

daftandbarmy said:
Do a quick survey and ask them to tell you, honestly, how many of them thought of THIS Franklin when you mentioned the name: :nod:

My turn now.  Who TF is that?

jollyjacktar said:
My turn now.  Who TF is that?

Sigh... you clearly don't have little kids  ::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_(TV_series)

fantastic and historically significant day not only for Canada but for Great Britain as well as it ends a period of uncertainty as to what happened to the Franklin expedition. Unfortunately I read the comments on the CBC site so now have to slam my head into a wall for 30 minutes

commenters are like elevator music.....they are rentable.....

You can rent smart ones, middling ones, dumb ones, really dumb ones......by the dozen.

That's why we see the same strain peaking through from CBC to the Star then on to the NP....etc.

:2c:

daftandbarmy said:
Sigh... you clearly don't have little kids  ::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_(TV_series)
No, those days are way behind me.

jollyjacktar said:
No, those days are way behind me.

Yup.  My son was 'splainin why the Electric Zoo in NYC got shut down on Day three...no Franklin/Caillou/Clifford the Big Red Dog/Dora the Explorer/Thomas the Engine/etc... for me anymore.  Really.  ;)

You guys call yourselves Canadians … and no one mentioned Theodore Tugboat !!!

All joking aside, It's Kudos , BZ and Well Done all a around for Parks Canada, RCGS, HMCS KINSTON and (I believe) CCGS AMUNDSEN, and the Government of Nunavut.
Even with today's tech and modern ships, this is still finding a needle in a haystack under difficult conditions at best. And where so many failed before.

What I find interesting is that native oral history pin pointed the wreck.

Back