• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Franko‘s going to Vienna....anything good to do there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Just like the title says...I‘m going to Vienna Austria in the near future and I‘m asking you for suggestions of what I can do and see during my R&R.....

I‘ll be posting my exploits...edited of course. ;)

(due to what will be, no doubt, a cornacopia of debautchery the likes of which will blind most of the yougin‘s who will read it, sorry Lexi)

I need the suggestions ASAP...so fire away!

Regards

Vienna sausages... we like them.... we like them...

Vienna sausages... we like them... we like them... we like them a lot.

Alright...serious suggestions not this drivel.

Well...just figured out Just a Sig Op has a thing for saugages...must be an inferiority complex or something. ;)

Regards

What do you want to do?

There‘s tons of great cultural places to visit -- real culture, that is, not just the "ballet" -- but when I was there it was more of a honeymoon thing, so we didn‘t get out of the hostel much. ;)

One thing I can recommend is the Austrian Army Musuem. It‘s housed in a great pseudo-Turkish caserne-something built in the 1850s after they tore down the city walls. They‘ve got a fabulous collection of 16th and 17th century armour and weapons, as well as tons of paintings, statues and wall-size murals. It‘s up on the hill above the Schonnbrunn (sp?), a massive palace and gardens that makes Buckingham look like a granny flat. It also has a decent collection of vintage armoured vehicles, but nothing you probably haven‘t already seen -- or crewed. :D

They‘ve also got these great flak towers scattered throughout the city. They‘re almost 100 ft tall and made out of reinforced concrete 20 ft thick. Even though the Russians flattened most of the old city, these thing weren‘t scratched. It was too expensive to pull them down after the war, so they just left them alone. I think one is now a giant aquarium with killer whales and stuff, and another is chic-chic condos or something.

The innerstadt within the Ringstrasse is really nice with great old buildings, but the further out you go from the centre the grittier it gets.

And don‘t even think about trying to cheat on your subway fares! You buy a ticket from a machine and get it time-stamped when you enter a station -- no fare collectors. I thought this was a little odd until my streetcar slammed to a halt on an elevated line and two burly guys climbed on board and barked something I didn‘t understand. Everybody whipped out their tickets -- including yours truly -- but two guys jumped up and made a break out the back door. And ran right into Fritz hiding where he couldn‘t be seen. As the streetcar rolled away they had the two in cuffs going down to the street level!

I was a little antsy while all this was going on because I had forgotten my passport back at the hostel and had just dropped several thousand francs on gunsights and other target equipment. I figured that with my lack of German they were liable to call me a terrorist and throw me in the slammer. Luckily this was in 1999 and I had punched my ticket properly and so never had to open my mouth. Don‘t laugh -- it was a big deal at the time!

It‘s really a great city to hang out in though. The people are nice, the beer and food are fabulous, and I‘m sure the nightlife is pretty good too.

Right on....

Heard about the Ringstrasse, the museums and the like....

Going up to Innsbruck as well...Briechesgarden...Saltzburg..you get the drift.

Regards

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] Alright...serious suggestions not this drivel.

Well...just figured out Just a Sig Op has a thing for saugages...must be an inferiority complex or something. ;)

Regards [/qb]
It‘s the Vienna Sausage song... you can‘t tell me you‘ve never heard the Vienna sausage song? They used to use it in advertising for Vienna sausages...

In all seriousness, sorry, I have no suggestions, though I am terribly jealous, it‘s on my list of places to go.

Yes I heard it....YEARS ago. :rolleyes:

Can‘t stand those greasy little things..ungh! Although I will take it into concideration for a spoof pic when I‘m there... :p

Regards

There is a restaurant/pub near St Stephens Cathedral in the center of town. It‘s called the Cellar and for about 20 euro you can eat all the schnitzel and fixings you want as well as drink all the wine and house hops your liver can handle. Need I say more? Oh yeah, there‘s a bunch of museums and other old stuff. You can tell what my priorities were on my R&R. Seriously though, it‘s an awesome city for a combination of history and a good time. Back to the nightlife, check out the "Bermuda triangle".

Be wary of the shemales.

Oops, that‘s Budapest. ;) :D

Depends on if you‘re an opera buff or not, a good opera house might be a place to visit.

Or Hitler‘s birthplace near Salzburg if you‘re into historical oddbits.

Umm... "My poor virgin eyes" ?
Lucky man ish you Franko. I‘ve never left my cozy little province. And look at you. All over the place. Lucky basterd..

Check out the Plutzer Brau, good micro brewed beer and alot of it.......Great place to eat, drink and easy to find. Just go to the Spittelberg district of the city. Its all cobblestones and the place draws a good crowd. You‘ll love it.......First In Last out!! :gunner:

I highly suggest you visit Neuschwanstein, very nice castle with a swan motif. (as in schwan?), and Wagnerian opera figures and paintings. Ludwig 2 "finished" the castle in 1886, and lived there only 6 months before being arrested for lunacy, at the age of 40-something. He then died my â Å“drowningâ ? in the nearby lake soon after. I believe that King Ludwig is also a descendant of the royal family that instituted the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516 for the drink that we all know and love.

Right on...thanks troops.

As for visiting a small village on the Hister river...I‘ll huck a loogie for all of you(if you know your history..you‘ll know what I mean) :D

My dear young Lexi....jealosy will get you no where. When you hit 18 sign up for the Regs and travel. :)

Regards

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] Right on...thanks troops.

As for visiting a small village on the Hister river...I‘ll huck a loogie for all of you(if you know your history..you‘ll know what I mean) :D

My dear young Lexi....jealosy will get you no where. When you hit 18 sign up for the Regs and travel. :)

Regards [/qb]
Who ever said I was jealous? :p And dammit, stop it with the ‘young‘! :blotto:

Stop your antics and I‘ll think about it... ;)

Regards

I highly suggest you visit Neuschwanstein, very nice castle with a swan motif.
I‘ve got the 3D puzzle of that castle right here, complete with light up rooms and opening doors...courtyard and all...

Sincerely,
Professor Frink.

I‘M BAAAAAAACK! :D

Story to follow under different heading....

Regards

:D
I missed ya, it was boring around here with nobody‘s monkey to challenge.. :(

Welcome back. Wanna tell us whatcha did? Or is it rated over G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back