• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

None. As previously mentioned, this is the most dynamic protest and the first to involve large numbers of vehicles which I suspect is why they are reporting problems dealing with it.

As for actual attendants? Less than a Sens game. Nowhere near music or sports events. A total bust in comparison to the number of attendants the organizers were claiming last week. Not sure how I could be more honest in terms of comparisons.
So then this ‘very small crowd’ has had a high protest efficiency rating, then. Funny how the CTA hadn’t had any meaningful agreements with the Government until this week…but I suppose that is merely coincidence…

I think we can find this a bit more immaterial than most.

Also, if immaterial, why post it here?
I don't really care what you think. And unless that's the 'Royal We' it's rather presumptuous, priggish and trudeauesque to think you speak for anyone but yourself. I think your opinions suck bollocks, which is why I don't see most of your stuff or typically engage with you.

Why post it? BECAUSE...I...CAN. It's one of those little things you find so pesky about the Charter.

The fact you feel the need to come after me for it makes me smile. Like this 😁

There seems to be a misconception in certain groups and media sources that this protest is "huge". I suspect pro-convoy news sources are trying to hype this thing up like it's some massive event with more support than it actually has. It's definitely intimidating local residents but it's not solely because of the numbers of people attending but just because of all the big trucks, honking, harassment, and other vehicles. But if there were no trucks and these protestors were on foot, this really wouldn't be all that big of a protest.

I've witnessed a lot of protests in this city, this protest is definitely the longest, loudest, and the most dynamic, HOWEVER, it is a not the largest in terms of numbers and it's not even close. The city thinks we had about 10,000 people at the peak of it last weekend. It's possible it was a bit more than that, but if so not by much. This estimate is consistent with photos of the event from the air and in comparison to other events I've seen and the numbers reported from them (That I believe are fairly accurate).

A few examples of substantially larger protests and events;

The 2005 anti-Bush protest was MANY times larger than this one. It's really not even remotely comparable and it would dwarf this protest by many times over. To think this protest is comparable to a really big protest like that is honestly laughable.

The 2021 George Floyd protest in Ottawa brought about 20,000 people, so that was about double the size of this one in terms of people who made an effort to actually physically attend.

A typical Ottawa "Capital Pride" event also a little bigger in numbers. It should go without saying that a typical Canada Day event is also many times larger in terms of attendance.

A Sens game (Stadium capacity is around 19,000) or literally any large sports event or music festival. Justin Bieber has single handedly brought more people to Ottawa than the entire convoy.

Hope that puts things a bit more into perspective for anyone who may be wondering how this stacks up.
Here's, some perspective. I think your purposely downplaying the numbers to fit your narrative. The protest is not just those on the ground. The protest is the thousands that lined the highways, rest centres, overpasses and shopping malls in support. It all those people, that supported by donating more than $10,000,000. A phenomenal amount of money, no matter how you try slice it. The other thousands of people that are supporting and setting up satellite protests around the country. And the Conservative Party of Canada, now that they've slipped the yolk of indecision and flip flopping.

So no, it is not a misconception that it is huge. The misconception is on your part.

So is that 32% support more or less than the support for the so-called Natural Governing Party?

I think the Nazi flag, the Nazi swastika symbol and the Confederate flag should be made illegal as they are obvious symbols of hatred and oppression, and have already expressed my views to my M.P. Mind you, some of the neo-fascist groups will devise new flags that also suggest the same thing, but at least the historical symbols will be illegal.
Only if you include the hammer and sickle too. The multiple of deaths is 100 million more.

Yes tolerant. I’m not sure what we are arguing? An unlawful gathering that’s been allowed to stay for 5 days with little or no arrests or tickets. So Why are you taking issue with that? They didn’t even have a permit. So yes, Ottawa has been quite tolerant. I’ve seen crowds dispersed to far less.

I’m not locked in at all. I have no reason to go downtown though.

Can you provide a source for this slight majority that supports the current protest?

Where did I say they were racist? The organizers have a history of that, yes but people seem willing to dismiss that. But I haven’t painted the bulk of them as racists.

Ah yes fear and paranoia should not be part of our national policy but neither should hatred intolerance and anger, but here we are.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-022521.png
    Screenshot_20220204-022521.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 16
Back