• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Huge meaning it’s gone cross country and international. That it involves normal everyday blue collar people and not your usual semi-pro protestors. That in days it raised over 10M in donations and has received commentary from famous people round the world. All this with the MSM not being honest in their reporting.

Not bad for a fringe minority of deplorables.
Not to mention people on the side of the road and overpasses cheering them along all across the country

Only if you include the hammer and sickle too. The multiple of deaths is 100 million more.
Yup, very few people realize the brutal history of communism. If we're serious about calling out hate and violence in society, that one should be near the top of the list. While we're at it, I'd also add the Daesh flag to the list.

I agree that censoring things is a slippery slope, and realize that those who hold power and control the narrative can use it to further their goals. However, banning the most extreme symbols might at least make life more difficult for would-be agitators that seek to subvert otherwise legitimate protests.

Here's, some perspective. I think your purposely downplaying the numbers to fit your narrative. The protest is not just those on the ground. The protest is the thousands that lined the highways, rest centres, overpasses and shopping malls in support. It all those people, that supported by donating more than $10,000,000. A phenomenal amount of money, no matter how you try slice it. The other thousands of people that are supporting and setting up satellite protests around the country. And the Conservative Party of Canada, now that they've slipped the yolk of indecision and flip flopping.

So no, it is not a misconception that it is huge. The misconception is on your part.
And sent the PM into hiding 😷

You were suggesting in light of all the minor infractions, the police weren’t trying hard enough for not moving in and dismantling the protest.

This guy states the police may ignore minor offences to allow the freedom of expression and peaceful assembly.
He states "lawful exercise of the Charter". I'm not sure an illegal structure and possibly illegal fuel dump falls under that umbrella. I haven't researched the court rulings on this aspect of the Charter, but my take is we have Freedom Expression, not 'freedom of protest'. Can I build a structure on somebody else's land on a normal day in July and call it expression?

Is this a hill to die on? I'm not sure, and one person's minor offence is another person's 'hang 'em high' event. If I had a store on Wellington and it was peacefully (because I ran out the back door in fear) occupied as a protest headquarters or warming centre, is that expression?

The nub of the argument often boils down to the old saying (sort of) that the freedom of your fist stops at my nose. Is the shack on federal land our collective nose?

Report this

The Media that was paid $600 000 000 to lie
So, then, which is the lie from these bought-and-paid-for outlets? ;)

So, then, which is the lie from these bought-and-paid-for outlets? ;)
Both. Or neither They are opinion pieces, not journalism.

Both. Or neither They are opinion pieces, not journalism.
You're right (even though if the outlets were "in the bag", one of those would be less likely to appear) - then all this reporting must be lies?
Just sayin' that everything has some kernel of truth while nothing has everything - well, I'd have to ... refine that a bit describing the CBC, though :)

That isn’t what the poll is about.

Interesting methodology.

The survey was conducted with 1,410 Canadian adults from January 31 to February 2, 2022. A random sample of panelists were invited to complete the survey from a set of partner panels based on the Lucid exchange platform. These partners are typically double opt-in survey panels, blended to manage out potential skews in the data from a single source.

The margin of error for a comparable probability-based random sample of the same size is +/- 2.7%, 19 times out of 20.

The data were weighted according to census data to ensure that the sample matched Canada’s population according to age, gender, educational attainment, and region. Totals may not add up to 100 due to rounding.

Abacus Data follows the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements that can be found here: Standards | CRIC

Two out of three (68%) interviewed in our latest nationwide poll feel they have “very little in common with how the protestors in Ottawa see things”, while 32% say they “have a lot in common.”

Those who are more likely to feel aligned with the protestors are People’s Party voters (82%)

many were turned off by the methods and messages that they observed from the convoy, once it arrived in Ottawa.

I don't see "Freedom" wining many hearts and minds with GTA voters at shopping centres this weekend.

So trudeau bashing the convoy plays well with the NDP LPC crowd.

Plays poorly with the PPC CPC crowd.

Yeah, hes not losing anything by taking the hard line here.
Except he's continuing to divide people... Sure he's unlikely to lose a seats over it, but he undermines the system that props him up.

If he keeps poking at the divide, eventually more people will join in as they figure they have nothing to lose by "triggering" the PM and urban LPC supporters.

Except he's continuing to divide people... Sure he's unlikely to lose a seats over it, but he undermines the system that props him up.

If he keeps poking at the divide, eventually more people will join in as they figure they have nothing to lose by "triggering" the PM and urban LPC supporters.
You're not wrong, but hes playing politics, as politicians tend to do.

Fact is, Trudeau is never going to get CPC voters. He needs to hunt down those votes on the left. The fact this plays well with the NDP base is likely what is driving his calculus. Same with Singh, who has had a similiar hard stance on the truckers.

Does it undermine the system, yeah. But does he care about that or does he care about being relected?

How Trudeau bought the media​

The overwhelming bulk of Canada’s media is bought, and paid for, by the federal government. In particular, by the Liberal Party which has extended generous taxpayer subsidies to outlets that comply with its diktats.

In its 2019 budget, the federal government rolled out nearly $600 million in subsidies for select media outlets that obtain the federal government’s approval. The latest $600 million cheque is meant to fill a blind spot in exerting government influence over the Canadian print and online media.

This was a ‘blind spot’, because most of the rest of the Canadian media is already on the take.

Magazines receive large subsidies to defray the costs of printing, and mailing. Massive “regulatory subsidies” give a cornered market to the government’s favoured broadcasters, and make entry by competitors (like the late Sun News Network) virtually impossible.

The elephant of government media control is obviously the CBC, with an annual bill to taxpayers well in excess of $1 billion.............

1643986546807.png

More at link

..... The overwhelming bulk of Canada’s media is bought, and paid for, by the federal government. In particular, by the Liberal Party which has extended generous taxpayer subsidies to outlets that comply with its diktats ...
Including Postmedia/National Post/Sun media, which have never exactly been ... boosters for Team Red? 😉

Back