• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French Quagmire in the Ivory Coast?

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
#-4 No Nuke‘s?

When did the US begin it‘s major research into atomic power/weapons? Also, if there were no nukes, then how much longer would the War in the Pacific have gone on?

Thank you Muskrat, I do know more than Jungle. :)

The biggest mistake the USSR did was sell Alaska to the US for $1 Million.

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb] My father fought as a CDN infantryman, I am very pround that he volunteered and did not join "some" French CDNs protesting a proposed draft. But, seriously, why should the US have gotten involved in a war since they were not attacked? Sound familiar? In many American‘s eyes it was an unjust war used to keep down the Germans! :p It seems to me that the Germans were fighting the British empire and not the US... :)

That is all water under the bridge... [/qb]
Wasn‘t the USS Rueben James and another destroyer sunk by German U Boats? No Germany didn‘t attack you officially but then again neither did Iraq (I am still waiting for the proof they were behind or supported 9/11).

BTW S_Baker what unit was your father with?

Of course when you actually read up on it (as opposed to just shooting from the hip) one could argue that the US were “in” the war long before December 7, 1941.

It’s readily apparent that FDR wanted to enter the European conflict and was doing his best to ease the US into it despite of the isolationist opposition. Just look at the following examples and tell me if they apply to a real “neutral” nation.

Increase in military build up /peace time draft

Lend Lease ( aircraft, small arms, vehicles etc. etc. to Britain)

Offering credit to Britain to purchase military materials etc. but not to Germany

Bases for destroyer’s deal. Giving the RN and RCN 50 badly needed destroyers and at the same time relieving them of the need to garrison some strategic bases.

Garrison in Iceland relieving British and Canadian troops for service elsewhere.

Joint USN/RCN RN convoy duties and anti submarine patrols in the Western Atlantic. Which led to the sinking of US warships by U-boats as noted.

Given all of this it is highly likely that even had the events of Pearl Harbour not happened that the US would have “officially entered” the European conflict sometime in late 1941 early 1942.

"No Germany didn‘t attack you officially but then again neither did Iraq (I am still waiting for the proof they were behind or supported 9/11)." Very good point I think.

Good points too i believe Major Baker. I supose back then the political situation was far different. My line of thinking was that they should or could have forseen what hitler had planned but thats a bit of a wild guess.
Of course after ww1 the population probably wasn‘t too hot on the idea of getting involved in another war, i‘d imagine the same way americans felt after korea or vietnam. Makes sence why they held back so long.

I have no doubt in my mind the Germans or Japanese would have used atomic weapons had they developed them first.

I do feel honoUred that you choose to only *******ize my name, it‘s almost like were buds. Go aquire us some automatic weapons and i‘ll bring the canadian club whiskey, canadian beer and canadian women. How can you go wrong with canadian beaver, beer and yankee guns.

"Iraq (I am still waiting for the proof they were behind or supported 9/11)."

Since i‘m not an american, i believe that the US went into Iraq for a different reason then what with 9/11. Since Iraq is part of the axis of evil, the US went to fight the "war on terror".

From what i‘ve been hearing on CNN, more US troops have died since major combat offically ended, then their enemies. (Again from what i‘ve heard from CNN)

Back