• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General enquiry

wannabearmyguy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm a 30 years old Asian guy from Toronto who came to Canada a decade ago. Since past 2  years I have been relentlessly thinking about joining Canadian Army but couldnt man up to visit a recruiting centre. I have a bachelors degree in Liberal arts from a Canadian university; but i was a bad student and due to which I lost motivation in my field of study after graduation. I am also sick and tired of being a social insect, working like a dog for minimum wage for cheap employers who treat me like an object that can be replaced anytime. Instead of working under this capitalist system i would rather dedicate all my energy and hardwork for this country. I am fit, healthy and therefore confident that i can pass the basic physical exam. Money is not my priority but I still have to pay off my mounting student loan. I want to do something for myself, i want to belong somewhere and be someone in life.

My few questions are:

a) Am I too old to join Canadian Army?
b) If I join CA then will i be the only asian guy in the classroom?
c) Is there a long waiting list for new recruits? If i register ASAP to be a new recruit then when can i expect to start my training?
d) My dream is to be a peacekeeping soldier, how can I achieve that goal?
e) Do i need to have a drivers licence?
e) What is the salary of an entry level soldier?

Thank you very much for your time

Tsering.

a) Am I too old to join Canadian Army? NO
b) If I join CA then will i be the only asian guy in the classroom? No one can tell you this answer.
c) Is there a long waiting list for new recruits? If i register ASAP to be a new recruit then when can i expect to start my training? No one will know this answer, every case is different.
d) My dream is to be a peacekeeping soldier, how can I achieve that goal? Work on choosing a career first.
e) Do i need to have a drivers licence? Does the job you are applying for state that you need one?
e) What is the salary of an entry level soldier? http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-ncm-class-c-rates.page?

I am aware that age limit to join Canadian force is 33+ but will i be given less preference if other applicants are younger than me?

It's 50 I believe and they can not discriminate based on age. If you are fit and pass the tests, it's about who's qualified. Again, there a ton of threads on here about age and applying. I know I've asked and I just got in at 32.

wannabearmyguy said:
Hello Folks,

I'm a 30 years old Asian guy from Toronto who came to Canada a decade ago. Since past 2  years I have been relentlessly thinking about joining Canadian Army but couldnt man up to visit a recruiting centre. I have a bachelors degree in Liberal arts from a Canadian university; but i was a bad student and due to which I lost motivation in my field of study after graduation. I am also sick and tired of being a social insect, working like a dog for minimum wage for cheap employers who treat me like an object that can be replaced anytime. Instead of working under this capitalist system i would rather dedicate all my energy and hardwork for this country. I am fit, healthy and therefore confident that i can pass the basic physical exam. Money is not my priority but I still have to pay off my mounting student loan. I want to do something for myself, i want to belong somewhere and be someone in life.

My few questions are:

c) Is there a long waiting list for new recruits? If i register ASAP to be a new recruit then when can i expect to start my training?

Tsering.

1. No, you're not. You'll be seeing people from different ages during BMQ.
2. No.
3. Depends on your application and if the trade is in demand.
4. Can't answer that for you
5.Possibly; you may need to have one if you don't have a passport when applying.
6. Can be easily found if you searched on Google

wannabearmyguy said:
Hello Folks,

My few questions are:

Tsering.

A) No, there was a guy on basic up who was 49.
B) No, there is range of cultures and ages in the CAF
C) Right now seems to be a good time to apply almost ever trade is open. No one can tell you for sure when you will start training.  But it won't be next week. It will take some time find a trade that interests you and get the ball rolling.
D) No comment. But Cbbmtt has a good piece of advice.
E) Not really, even when driving DND plated vehicles all you need are your 404's (military drivers license). Like the other poster said you may need it for a form of photo id though.
F) Look it up. It depends if you are going NCM or Offficer

On my basic, we had 4 Asian recruits and one of them was 50 yrs old!  There were also Asian's on my BMQ-L......so the fact that you're Asian, well it doesn't really matter!

Back