• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gentlemen

Rifleman62 said:
How about every Army CWO being addressed as RSM, my particular fav.

We've had a couple of great discussions along those lines,

Proper way to address a WO, MWO, CWO or Officer 
3 pages.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)
11 pages.

Rifleman62 said:
When you commission from the ranks you cease to be a man. ::)

How about every Army CWO being addressed as RSM, my particular fav.

:facepalm: the difference between position and rank is a hard one for some.

rmc_wannabe said:
:facepalm: the difference between position and rank is a hard one for some.
Or for CPO1s being called Cox'n. Truth is 'most' CPO1s either are or were (or will be?) a Cox'n. The only one I used to correct was when I was in Ottawa and called 'Sir' and even saluted on occasion....Sometimes by officers.

...By far my favourite nickname while there was "Shuttle Dress Nazi Chief`- That one got me a personal meeting with the CFSU CWO....although I didn't stop picking up dress infractions on the shuttle - just was a little quieter.

Good2Golf said:
I love a witty NCM.  Years back, I was a young subbie heading off to an airshow as a co-pilot in the #2 aircraft.  As I was dutifully following my aircraft captain through Flight Operations, I overheard the Flight Commander to his flight engineer, "MCpl XXX, my luggage is by the door at Servicing..."  Fast forward to our putting the aircraft to bed at destination.  Same Flight Commander to same MCpl, "MCpl XXX, where is my luggage?"  MCpl XXX to Flight Commander, with an incredibly well-played aire of innocence, "Sir, I believe you noted it was by the door to Servicing..."
:rofl: Gold, Jerry, gold!

So how does this apply to Navel Officers, I was told they are not gentleman?

You must be thinking of the old WWII quip:

Naval Reserve officers (Merchant seaman) were seamen trying to be gentlemen;
Volunteer reserve officers were gentlemen trying to be seamen; and,
Regular Navy officers were neither, trying to be both.

Long, long time ago... Late one Friday night Ocdts in the School of Foot Mess in Borden were told by a member of the staff " Your commission scroll will state you are an officer but no where does it say you are a gentleman." Forget the exact circumstances but it became the unofficial motto of our course throughout all phases.

Tangent On

I've always thought it kind of creepy when some senior guy, who appears to be angry about something, addresses everyone as 'Gentlemen' - usually through clenched teeth. He clearly doesn't mean it, but says it anyway.

It seems to be a North Americanism as I never came across that in the UK or elsewhere.

Tangent Off

Dimsum said:
Wait - was one of those "couch lectures" something about "if you have a drink at lunch, drink gin as people can't smell it on your breath"?  I know I read it somewhere and couldn't stop laughing.

There was a booklet published by NOTC VENTURE called Neptunes Notes, and it had an entire chapter about drinking. I believe this is the line you were looking for:

Spirits are generally served on board in small quantities, generally about 1 oz. per drink. The practice of calling for ‘doubles’ is seldom followed in Wardrooms except by the most hardened customers, so the person who has three or four Gins before Lunchtime is not really a confirmed alcoholic

Back