• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

German tradespeople eager to emigrate to Western Canada

warspite

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/03/recruitment-germany.html
German tradespeople eager to emigrate to Western Canada
Last Updated: Saturday, March 3, 2007 | 11:48 PM ET
CBC News
Western Canadian companies are holding job fairs in central Germany to recruit hundreds of skilled labourers needed for the boom in the oil, mining and construction industries.

The job fairs are well-attended as Germany is struggling with a national unemployment rate of 9.3 per cent in February. The job fairs have been held for the past three years, but the Canadians found that the interest — and the number of companies wanting to recruit — has grown dramatically.

At one job fair in the city of Essen, where the unemployment rate is closer to 20 per cent, more than 1,000 German tradespeople crowded into a convention centre to talk to representatives of Canadian companies.

"It's terribly hard to find work here," Thomas Freiberg, a 42-year-old industrial electrician, said in German.

Freiburg said he was employed for the past 15 years until the factory where he worked closed last summer.

"I've submitted over 50 applications for various jobs. I've had a few interviews, but nothing positive, no job offers. So my family and I have decided to try and find something in Canada."

Freiburg said he knows it may be hard to move his family. His children, a 10-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter, are worried about leaving school friends behind and having to speak English.

But he said his family could forge a new life in Canada.

"My wife and I visited last year as tourists and we were really impressed. The country is beautiful and we met friendly, nice people. It's a bit scary to think about leaving here, but Canada is our No. 1 choice of places we'd like to live. The idea just works for us, right now."

Germany's economy has been slumping in part because the mining, manufacturing and steel-making sectors have fallen on hard times.

In presentations at the job fair, the unemployed workers, some with baby carriages, listened attentively to the virtues of Western Canada — wide-open spaces, outdoor lifestyles and proximity to nature.

Owners of the Canadian firms looking for help said they hope to have workers from Germany on the job in six to eight weeks. The new employees will be given temporary work visas that are valid for up to two years.

Company representatives said they do not think the economic boom in Western Canada is going to fade any time soon.

Joe Bova, an owner of Man-Shield Construction in Winnipeg, said experienced tradespeople are in demand.

"If this was just a temporary offer of employment, we wouldn't be here," Bova said. "We are not interested in short-term employees. We are looking for people who are interested in emigrating to Canada and making a living for them and their families."

Bova himself emigrated to Canada from Italy in 1962. He was in Germany to hire bricklayers.

"These people want a chance, not just to feed their children, because I think they can do that very well in Germany, by the way, but to give their children a better life. And I think they see Canada as that kind of country. And I'm very moved by this, being an immigrant myself. I'm touched."

Bernd Reuscher, an Edmonton resident who works for the German government, said Canada has much to offer.

"Germans are active people. That's why they like Canada. Going to the Rockies, canoeing, hunting, fishing. We have only four people per kilometres in Canada in Alberta. Here, they have 1,000 persons per square kilometre."

Christa Klemm, a carpenter, said a job in Canada would mean a fresh start. She said she has visited Nova Scotia, where she spoke to general contractors who encouraged her to look for work in Alberta.

"I've heard women in Canada are able to work in jobs that are traditionally for men, and there isn't much discrimination," she said in German.

"I've got the highest training you can get and I've worked on and off for years, but when I apply for full-time, they always hire a man, first."

Klemm exchanged phone numbers with a few companies at the job fair. She wants to improve her English first, though.

"Finding a way in definitely seems easier there because the companies badly need tradespeople right now. Here nobody is hiring. I can walk the streets with all of my experience, for years, and not find anything," she said.

"For me, going to Canada is the answer."

Could this be the solution to the shortages in the trades and the impending worker shortage as the baby boomers retire?

What we need is an immigration policy like Australia's. They actively seek out immigrants to fulfill jobs the nation needs.

"To be accepted into Australia under the migration program a person must be a skilled migrant or sponsored by a family member who is "an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen aged 18 years or over who lives in Australia".[3] A third class covers special eligibility migrants which includes Australians returning to Australia that had to give up citizenship to live overseas. DIAC states that the migration program for 2004-05 has 120,000 places available for migrants, with a strong focus on attracting skilled people and people who agree to live in regional areas of Australia. 42,000 places were allocated to the family stream."

I think hiring European workers is a great idea to fulfill the labour shortage.

warspite said:
Could this be the solution to the shortages in the trades and the impending worker shortage as the baby boomers retire?
I think your right. They will help our economy, an help us become one of the top trading nations in the world.

Nothing wrong with immagrants who are going to pull their weight, I jsut cant stand the people who come here and suck off the system, To those Germans I say good luck.

Labour shortage?
How about cut off welfare to Newfoundland?That should solve the problem.Either they starve to death in their communities.Or decide to get off their lazy asses and do something.

It's becoming a social normality in the once GREAT country of Newfoundland.How many times do I hear people talking about if their "check" is in.Drives me crazy.

And for those poor people caught in the cache 22 (Ive seen this dismal situation as well)of "I don't have money to leave,I have to leave to get money."How about government assistance to move these people out into work camps and allow them to build up their cash to then bring their families with them.Deduct a dollar a hour from their pay until their loan is paid back.

I'm all for immigrants however we have to start looking at how can we build up our own countrymen prior to begging for outsiders.

My grandfather would be rolling in his grave if he seen the state of laziness and social dependence on government programs in Newfoundland.

I being from Newfoundland am willing to challenge anyone who disagrees of the lack, idle people of that province.

I'm proud to be a Newfoundlander,proud of my roots.However it is despicable what people will put their young through out of sheer laziness.14,000 a year can't raise a child properly.ANd people should be ashamed.

*sorry....rant off*

That is not just a Newfoundland problem. There needs to be programs instituted that makes it worthwhile for people to go off the Dole. Right now, someone going off of welfare loses all dental, optical, care benefits the moment they turn over a paycheque. While I do not begrudge those that need it, there is little incentive for them to get off it.

It's true that people who mooch off the system are a problem across the country, not just Newfoundland.  I know that over on this side of the country there's a lot of resentment against Natives for all the benefits they get but how many just mooch off the system. Not to say that it is by any means just the natives, just that they take a fair bit of the flack.

Maybe EX_RCAC_011 does have a point though. If you want your welfare check, some time required in some sort of work camp might be appropriate and an incentive to get off welfare. There's a lot of garbage that needs to be cleaned up, lots of road maintenance to be done, etc etc etc. Heck even getting them to sweep streets would be an incentive to get off welfare.

But that being said there is a need for the government to help people wean themselves off welfare without immediately losing benefits.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
I'm all for immigrants however we have to start looking at how can we build up our own countrymen prior to begging for outsiders.

The Germans have their own "Newfoundland"; it is called East Germany. Forty years of communism has done some serious damage to the mindset of some of these people.

Sort of like 15 years of Liberalism :eek:

GAP said:
That is not just a Newfoundland problem. There needs to be programs instituted that makes it worthwhile for people to go off the Dole. Right now, someone going off of welfare loses all dental, optical, care benefits the moment they turn over a paycheque. While I do not begrudge those that need it, there is little incentive for them to get off it.

True. However there are options. People in Ontario who leave Ontario Works (welfare) for employment now continue to receive that "extra" medical coverage (and it's limited by the way to prescription drugs, vision care and emergency dental) for up to 6 months as an incentive. There is also a one time cash payment of $253.00-$500.00 the minute they get the job.  Ain;t perfect but it's a start.

In addition low income earners here without a benefit package may qualify for Trullium the Ontario Government Drug Plan. It incidentally was brought in by Mike harris, a fact that left wing hates.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
I being from Newfoundland am willing to challenge anyone who disagrees of the lack, idle people of that province.
Well, you will have some help from me too. It makes me mad to see people like that, and I see quite a few here. People spending whatever extra money they have on booze, when their home is falling apart around them. It is a shame, but their own fault, I guess.

Danjanou said:
True. However there are options. People in Ontario who leave Ontario Works (welfare) for employment now continue to receive that "extra" medical coverage (and it's limited by the way to prescription drugs, vision care and emergency dental) for up to 6 months as an incentive. There is also a one time cash payment of $253.00-$500.00 the minute they get the job.  Ain;t perfect but it's a start.

In addition low income earners here without a benefit package may qualify for Trullium the Ontario Government Drug Plan. It incidentally was brought in by Mike harris, a fact that left wing hates.
That is exactly the type of thing I was talking about

Well the populations of Europe are falling and will continue to shrink but the populations of the countries will be kept up by the large number of Islamic immigrants who go and live in their part of the city (alot of them as we saw in the French riots are radicalized)

What Canada has to do is to get all of our people working (as EX RCAC said) and stop relying on immigrants for population. Theres no reason why a healthy young Canadian couple cant make some kids and I'm not talking about the 38 year old who has that one kid to show off to her friends.

How many of you who are over 50 we're only childern?
ill say not very many.

As an Alberta tradesperson, a couple of points leap to mind:

1.  Where will these people live?  My property has almost doubled in value in 5 years, so things are getting really expensive.  The housing problem is even worse in Fort Mac, especially if you bring your family. 

2.  Shortage?  I depends who you talk to and where you'd like to live.  If you  believe what IBEW is saying, which I'm not always prone to do, there's no shortage at all.  Again, there's lots of opportunities if you don't like spending a lot of time with the family.

The fact is that our unemployment rate across Alberta, (and you can include the Northern BC and budding Saskatchewan oil pathes as well) is hovering around 3%.  Everyone who can/wants to work is working.  Personally I would rather see talented Canadians filling vacancies but I think that's just about tapped out as well.  I personally was rather sickened at some of the Class B's I encountered out at Gagetown this past summer who knew to the DAY how much time they had left on their contracts until they could go on EI, I wish there was some way of making them pound grounding rods at -35C instead of sitting on their asses.

I don't suppose we can hire a battalion of Gurkha's? 5 years service guaranteed citizenship for soldier and family!

I don't suppose we can hire a battalion of Gurkha's? 5 years service guaranteed citizenship for soldier and family!

That's a bit ironic, I helped the best I could with some Gurkha friends of mine and their unsuccessful immigration attempts back in the late 1990s.  They would have been just the type of immigrants I think the country needs, but I guess their overall lack of neurosurgery experience or lack of M.Sc's in engineering would make them underqualified among our immigrant population to drive taxis or wash dishes.  At the time one of them was getting out of the engineers after 15 years and I had people willing to apprentice him because good people were hard to find even then but the feds didn't want to play along. 

Things might have been a bit different today, but at the time it was impossible. I'm not sure what kind of coin you can get guarding the green zone or the Sultan of Brunei but I wonder if they'd prefer a safer, colder, environment.  I'll have to ask.

Back