• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting Back in from Previously Released

TheAngryCpl

Reaction score
Good morning fellow Canadians,

Today I would like to ask and discuss something. That something is the re-enrolment process.

Background first :
Served for 6 years as armoured in Petawawa.
Finished contract and released as OT wasn't going thru. Got out, been out a year and a half.

Resubmitted an application for ACS tech.

Waiting period starts now.

Recruiter did explain to me that I will be going in stripped of alll rank and pay.

That's is my main worry. After having 6 years in and a corporal down to pte basic p1. Is there nothing I could do ? Even to get a hook to leviate some of the painful pay cut ? Could I talk to someone about TCP ? Or is this just the way it is?

I don’t know for component changes, but I got out for four years and change, and got back in after 9/11 as a Cpl (2), mind you I stayed Infantry. Originally they had offered Pte (3) and I suggested they go back and look at my courses and time, and within a week they had amended it.

Seeing as you won’t be going to Cornwallis/St Jean, there should be something beyond what off the street entrants get, but I have zero idea on what it is.

We need smarter recruiters. Your previous service will count towards your pay increment: Chapter 204 - Pay of Officers & Non-Commissioned Members - Canada.ca

Cpl is a protected rank and if someone CT and/or OTs and are above the rank of Cpl, they won't drop below it. You will need to have been a substantive Cpl in your old trade which is listed on your MPRR. If you weren't substantive, they'll likely offer Pte + IPCs and after finishing QL3 wouldn't be long being promoted.

Also keep in mind you chose to VR instead of waiting for an OT, that may now have financial implications so don't rage at the CAF for the route you chose.

When I OT'd from the Reserve Artillery to Reg Force Avn Tech. I left the Reserves as a MBdr QL6A Qualified Reg Force. I was offered Private Icp 3 I signed upon recommendation of my TSM/BSM.
Fast forward a year ish later and I was asked by a friend working in Borden why I accepted Private 3. I said that is what I was offered and it was suggested I accept the offer by my TSM and BSM. Because it was a good trade and short term pain for long term gain.
I was politely told they were wrong and should have offered Cpl. Due to quals and experience. I was asked should she look into this further I said sure but not to rock the boat to much.
It caused a big storm at the school, but I had the backing from a few friends from the Artillery School who argued I was Reg Force 6A qualified and they were shocked at what I was offered. After a few months of back and forth I was promoted to Cpl ( spec with back pay upon graduation) by my MWO, who in his words said. "Easy come easy go there Cpl". I smirked and looked him straight in the eye and said "it wasn't that easy to come, definitely wont be that easy to go sir" he went a bit pale and let my hand go from the shake.

So when CFRC did the conversion they took the easy lazy (ish) way out. Being one who trusted the institution and trusted people did their jobs properly I accepted the offer. Darn was I fooled.
Turned out they not only did things wrong but also overridden the way they did it. My friend who was the Senior Base Admin was going through files and noticed a few discrepancies. Then made a few inquires into what happened and opened a can of worms that followed me after I left the Military...
She did the proper thing and actually helped a few of us who were improperly classified for OT.

If you have not done so already ask them to do a equivalency on quals. Then ask for a copy or acquire a copy the policy on OTs along with VRs then reenrollments and rank upon so.
You can counter any offer given to you, but it makes it better if you know the policy first.

Good luck, depending on what your goals are, things out West are pretty favorable for workers right now, more then a few jobs in welding and fabricating that pay well.

We need smarter recruiters. Your previous service will count towards your pay increment: Chapter 204 - Pay of Officers & Non-Commissioned Members - Canada.ca

Cpl is a protected rank and if someone CT and/or OTs and are above the rank of Cpl, they won't drop below it. You will need to have been a substantive Cpl in your old trade which is listed on your MPRR. If you weren't substantive, they'll likely offer Pte + IPCs and after finishing QL3 wouldn't be long being promoted.

Also keep in mind you chose to VR instead of waiting for an OT, that may now have financial implications so don't rage at the CAF for the route you chose.
That's fair, I left at the end of my contract and did not release with a VR

Good morning fellow Canadians,

Today I would like to ask and discuss something. That something is the re-enrolment process.

Background first :
Served for 6 years as armoured in Petawawa.
Finished contract and released as OT wasn't going thru. Got out, been out a year and a half.

Resubmitted an application for ACS tech.

Waiting period starts now.

Recruiter did explain to me that I will be going in stripped of alll rank and pay.

That's is my main worry. After having 6 years in and a corporal down to pte basic p1. Is there nothing I could do ? Even to get a hook to leviate some of the painful pay cut ? Could I talk to someone about TCP ? Or is this just the way it is?
Recruiter is full of sh-t.

I released in 2021 after an avalanche of personal BS back "home". Regretted it immensely once back (turns out i made a bad judgment call on how to cope with what happened) and started the re-enrollment process somewhere in 2022. I was looking at a new trade, and it was promised i would keep my rank and pay level. But i got impatient and re-enrolled as same trade. The only thing that's going to factor in is how fast you will be back in the CAF. If you re applied to the same trade, like me, within almost 2 months you'd be sworn in and posted. But for a new trade, it takes a bit longer (interviews, etc)

Ya true! They told me that because I released. They have to do a plar and check my mprr but because I was substantive corporal it might help. But they said selection in ottawa will make the choice as to what rank and pay grade I get back. They said they can guarantee p2. But im like bruh. No.

Back