• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting Closer to MRE Pizza?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
It's not poutine in a pouch, but it certainly looks interesting ....
Why aren’t there pizza MREs?

It’s a question troops have asked for as long as they’ve been eating Meals, Ready to Eat.

“Pizza is the holy grail of MREs because for decades, people have been asking for this,” said Paul DellaRocca, program integrator at the Defense Department’s Combat Feeding Directorate, which develops anything troops eat or cook with in the field. "If you give servicemembers a product that isn’t on the mark, he said, “they’re going to bite into it and not say, ‘This is pizza.’ That’s what we need them to say.”

The problem to this point has been that technology hasn’t been advanced enough to make sure the pizza actually tastes like pizza after three years in temperatures up to 80 degrees, according to military researchers. And how do you keep the sauce from soaking into the crust?

But now, researchers at the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center think they’ve figured it out by getting down to the molecular level of the sauce and trying different drying methods to preserve the pie.

“We’re looking at new shelf-stable bread formulations to form a crust that’s recognizable to what a soldier would expect a pizza to taste like,” DellaRocca said. “We have to look at formulations that maintain texture, flavor, appearance, odor, so that after three years, when they open it up, it’s going to have the same qualities as it did on Day 1.”

The pizza was unveiled to the public at this year’s annual Association of the United States Army exposition in Washington, although the government shutdown leading up to the event meant that no samples were produced in time for convention-goers to get a taste ....
Stars & Stripes, 25 Oct 13

image.jpg
Pizza prototypes that military researchers are testing for use in MREs are on display at the 2013 Association of the United States Army exposition in Washington, D.C. on Oct. 22, 2013.
C.J. Lin/Stars and Stripes

I am sure everyone is very thrilled about this.
Military grade pizza with three-year shelf life ‘tastes pretty much’ like pie from ‘a pizza parlour,’ U.S. lab says
Rodrique Ngowi, Associated Press
National Post
14 February 2014

NATICK, Mass. — They call it the holy grail of ready-to-eat meals for soldiers — a pizza that can stay on the shelf for up to three years and still remain good to eat.

Soldiers have been asking for pizza since lightweight individual field rations — known as meal ready to eat, or MREs — replaced canned food in 1981 for soldiers in combat zones or areas where field kitchens cannot be set up.

Researchers at a U.S. military lab in Massachusetts are closing in on a recipe that doesn’t require any refrigeration or freezing.

“You can basically take the pizza, leave it on the counter, packaged, for three years and it’d still be edible,” said Michelle Richardson, a food scientist at the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center.

Scientists at the Natick labs also are responsible for developing equipment and clothing that improves soldiers’ combat effectiveness and their survival, but the quest for good pizza has become known as the holy grail there.

Pizza is one of the most requested items when soldiers are asked every year what they’d like to see in their rations, said Richardson, who has spent nearly two years developing the recipe in a large kitchen full of commercial equipment.

Scientists’ efforts were long thwarted because moisture in tomato sauce, cheese and toppings migrated to the dough over time, resulting in soggy pizza that provided the perfect conditions for mould and disease-causing bacteria to grow.

But on-and-off research over the past few years helped them figure out ways to prevent moisture from migrating. That includes using ingredients called humectants — sugar, salt and syrups can do the trick — that bind to water and keep it from getting to the dough.

But that alone would not help the pizza remain fresh for three years at 80 degrees, so scientists tweaked the acidity of the sauce, cheese and dough to make it harder for oxygen and bacteria to thrive. They also added iron fillings to the package to absorb any air remaining in the pouch.

How does it taste?

Most soldiers haven’t tried it because it’s still being developed, but Jill Bates, who runs the lab, said she was happy after tasting the latest prototype batch of pepperoni.

She describes it as a pan pizza, with a crust that’s a little moist and not super-crispy.

“It pretty much tastes just like a typical pan pizza that you would make at home and take out of the oven or the toaster oven,” she said. “The only thing missing from that experience would be it’s not hot when you eat it. It’s room temperature.”

Turkey pepperoni pizza also will be available for soldiers who do not eat pork products.  David Accetta, a former Army lieutenant colonel and spokesman for the lab, tried the pizza and also liked it. He said having food soldiers can relate to and enjoy has added benefits.

“In a lot of cases, when you are cold and tired and hungry, having a hot meal that’s something that you like and you would get at home, it increases your morale — and we consider that to be a force multiplier,” Accetta said.

Spaghetti is the most popular MRE option. It has been on the menu since MREs were introduced and it is the one thing that soldiers have never recommended be removed from MREs. Vegetarian tortellini is also one of the most popular choices.

The lab also brings in food technologists to taste recipes and give feedback.

One of the technologists, Dan Nattress, agreed the pizza deserves a thumbs up.

“It tastes pretty much what you would get from a pizza parlour,” he said.
http://life.nationalpost.com/2014/02/14/military-grade-pizza-with-three-year-shelf-life-tastes-pretty-much-like-a-pizza-parlour/

milnews.ca said:
It's not poutine in a pouch, but it certainly looks interesting ....Stars & Stripes, 25 Oct 13

image.jpg
Pizza prototypes that military researchers are testing for use in MREs are on display at the 2013 Association of the United States Army exposition in Washington, D.C. on Oct. 22, 2013.
C.J. Lin/Stars and Stripes

Interesting.  But then again I think I was the only CF member who actually liked the old "lung in a bag".

Schindler's lift said:
Interesting.  But then again I think I was the only CF member who actually liked the old "lung in a bag".

I was going to raise the example of that culinary catastrophe to speculate about what bodily part or function could we name "pizza in a bag."

Oh yea a gooey doughy lump in a bag. yummy. BTW I miss Mac & Cheese with Peas.

Schindler's lift said:
But then again I think I was the only CF member who actually liked the old "lung in a bag".
  :eek:rly:  Actually liking....and admitting to liking.... bag o'lung is certifiable.

And the boss wanted to sell 'pay-per-view' tickets to my post-deployment Psych Eval......this Schindler guy is messed up!  :nod: 

Journeyman said:
  :eek:rly:  Actually liking....and admitting to liking.... bag o'lung is certifiable.

And the boss wanted to sell 'pay-per-view' tickets to my post-deployment Psych Eval......this Schindler guy is messed up!  :nod: 
Oh yeah!!!  I shudder at the thought of lung...

Old Sweat said:
I was going to raise the example of that culinary catastrophe to speculate about what bodily part or function could we name "pizza in a bag."

Remember M&V (Meat and Veggies) in the old Compo Rations? It was known to many (most? all?) soldiers as "Muck & Vomit."

images

jollyjacktar said:
Oh yeah!!!  I shudder at the thought of lung...
Not the most visually attractive, but with enough ketchup and tabasco it was edible.

Bacon in a can was the best.

3 years...phzzzt.....our 1968 C rations were dated 1943.....

As for pizza....take the white bread in a can, the ham from "Ham & Lima Beans", the pineapple bits from other pkgs, add other stuff to taste, including tabasco sauce if anyone has it, heat over a C-4 oven for 10 seconds.....voila Hot Pizza!!  ;D

Jim Seggie said:
.... with enough ketchup and tabasco it was edible.
Yep, a couple of different hot sauces (home made  :) ) and a MEC 'salt shaker' type thing with four compartments for different herbs/spices.

:nod:

Journeyman said:
Yep, a couple of different hot sauces (home made  :) ) and a MEC 'salt shaker' type thing with four compartments for different herbs/spices.
    :nod:

We're showing our age.  :facepalm:

Jim Seggie said:

and the inventiveness of the typical soldier in the field.... :nod:

Jim Seggie said:
Nahh, we're still young'ins Jim.....given the dietary 'war stories' of Old Sweat, E.R. Campbell, and GAP.    >:D

I will remember that the next time I have to tell you to hitch up your diaper..... ;D

Jim Seggie said:

Salty, but oh so good.  I miss the kiwi polish sized tin of cheddar cheese, nice and sharp.  Even the tubes of honey, butter and peanut butter were not too bad.  And the Ravioli...

Schindler's lift said:

nope there are two of us, we could form a support group 8)

Jim Seggie said:
Not the most visually attractive, but with enough ketchup and tabasco it was edible.

Ah yes IRP bacon, next best was the Puritan Corn Beef Hash , which one can still buy.

Cross and Blackwell chocolate walnut cake in a can from the arctic supplement was the finest effort ever put into hard ration deserts.  And the ham lung was okay if you drained off all the guck in the bag first and made sammiches with all your saved up Chernobyl bread.

Journeyman said:

Well, considering I started out at a time when we got two boxes per day.  One filled with tins (tuna, precooked bacon, spam) and the other filled with the dry goods....all coordinated with a sheet outlining what to eat for what meal....  I still have a number of the can openers that came with it all around the garage somewhere.

I am also a ham omelette lover.  There.  I said it.  I could (and did) eat them cold.  And liked it.

I was sad to see them go.

Back