• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting Closer to MRE Pizza?

SeaKingTacco said:
I am also a ham omelette lover.  There.  I said it.  I could (and did) eat them cold.  And liked it.
Yes, but we both know that you're also closing in on my record for "trade/classification ADD" -- a clear warning sign of mental health issues.  :nod:

I still have a number of the can openers that came with it.....
Actually, those can openers were pretty cool too.  :nod:

Am I the only one who liked Frank and Beans? Aside from the added C4-grade farts which preceded after, it was fairly good. Unless they got rid of it.

Sharp said:
Am I the only one who liked Frank and Beans? Aside from the added C4-grade farts which preceded after, it was fairly good. Unless they got rid of it.

Franks & Beans was the most sought after meal......

GAP said:
Franks & Beans was the most sought after meal......

I'm hearing all this talk about spaghetti and whatnot.

Back in 2010, I went for some information thing and they showed us what the recruits do daily. And they gave everyone MREs. I got F&B twice. Takes like gold.

Sharp said:
I'm hearing all this talk about spaghetti and whatnot.

Back in 2010, I went for some information thing and they showed us what the recruits do daily. And they gave everyone MREs. I got F&B twice. Takes like gold.

And it was no different 30-40 years before that....that's longevity.. :nod:

GAP said:
And it was no different 30-40 years before that....that's longevity.. :nod:

All I can say is... Gold. It tasted like gold.

Sharp said:
Frank and beens/beens and weeners were the most sought after next to the Lasagna.

time for me to come out as well, i liked the "lung" and happily ate other peoples rations they didn't want. I also enjoyed the old IRP's except for the powdered tea.

A batch of Canadian IRPs were condemned in the early eighties, so we were issued old US C Rats in Gagetown for a while.

It seemed rather fitting, one cold, dreary, and generally crappy day, to peel back the lid of an olive-green can of beans and wieners and see, floating atop the beans, a puckered wiener-end staring back up at me most mockingly.

Loachman said:
It seemed rather fitting, one cold, dreary, and generally crappy day, to peel back the lid of an olive-green can of beans and wieners and see, floating atop the beans, a puckered wiener-end staring back up at me most mockingly.
:rofl: If THAT isn't an omen, I don't know what is.

Colin P said:
time for me to come out as well, i liked the "lung" and happily ate other peoples rations they didn't want. I also enjoyed the old IRP's except for the powdered tea.

You have no taste sir....... :facepalm:

https://www.stripes.com/news/what-does-the-pizza-mre-taste-like-troops-try-the-long-awaited-holy-grail-of-military-rations-1.546150

What does the pizza MRE taste like? Troops try the long-awaited ‘holy grail’ of military rations
- 6 Sep 18  (Video at link)

KABUL, Afghanistan — It took more than 30 minutes to arrive, but the pizza was coming from Massachusetts, via Ramstein Air Base in Germany and Bagram Air Field, to the Afghan capital. Plus, unlike Domino’s, it’s got a three-year shelf life.

In anticipation of the long-awaited rollout of the Meal, Ready to Eat pepperoni pizza that’s been called “the holy grail of MREs,”  Stars and Stripes flew several of the military ration’s main pizza entrees into Afghanistan for taste tests with the troops. “It’s not delivery, it’s MRE,” Air Force Capt. Robert Erskine said, before digging in to a slice.

The feedback was generally positive — some said it was a contender for a new favorite menu item. It’s designed to be eaten cold or hot, but those who tried it cold said it would be better heated. Some said it was a bit too bready or needed the added flavor of cheese spread, which will come with the full MRE. Erskine, from Yakima, Wash., said he wouldn’t order it if it was on the room service menu. Partial to thin crust, Erskine said he liked it better once he sliced off the bottom two-thirds of bread.

Since the 1980s, soldiers have been asking for a pizza MRE, according to the Army. In 2012, the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center in Natick, Mass., began the tricky task of developing a slice-in-a-pouch that would be shelf-stable for 36 months.

“It’s a very difficult food to create to be able to store for a long time at room temperature,” said Anastacia Marx de Salcedo, the author of “Combat-Ready Kitchen: How the U. S. Military Shapes the Way You Eat.”

Marx de Salcedo keeps up with military food innovation and traces the ways the technology and foods eventually reach the public. McDonald’s McRib, for example, traces its lineage to military food developments. Recent military advances in chemical-free food preservation may lead to healthier processed foods, she said, such as “a TV dinner that you can throw into a closet” instead of a freezer.

It’s too soon to say whether the MRE pizza will one day reach the public, but the techniques that make it possible may. Part of the difficulty for the pizza developers was creating a barrier between the various pizza components — cheese, sauce, crust and toppings. Basil and tomato films were used to create “very, very thin layers between each ingredient,” Marx de Salcedo said.

The components can be made shelf-stable on their own, but “the real trick” is to get them “inside a pouch, happily together,” Jeremy Whitsitt, deputy director of the Defense Department’s Combat Feeding Directorate, said in a statement. The pizzas were field-tested beginning in 2014. They were delayed in reaching the troops by production hiccups last year, but Whitsitt said they will hit the pipeline next year at the latest.

In addition to a square of pizza, the full MRE will contain cheese spread with jalapenos, Italian breadsticks, cherry/blueberry cobbler, cookies and chocolate protein powder. The full MRE wasn’t available this summer for the taste test, but the Combat Feeding Directorate shipped a few of the pizzas by themselves.

Most C rations sucked but I loved the desserts and crackers and traded the rest. Otherwise I would get the runs and our medic always brought keopectate for me. Don't want the runs anytime in the field but really not on winter exercise. ;D

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=FihTyg%2bW&id=3F167C478CEE2DDCA8A722002981187E0DC2A5FB&thid=OIP.FihTyg-WWCMo-Vk9lnVFugHaFE&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.thestar.com%2fcontent%2fdam%2fthestar%2flife%2ffood_wine%2f2014%2f02%2f14%2fus_army_developing_pizza_that_lasts_three_years%2fmre_pizza.jpg&exph=821&expw=1200&q=mre+pizza&simid=607997428404323586&selectedIndex=0     

I am thinking we would be better off going with LRP rations that were popular during Nam and leave the pizza to the cooks in the field kitchen.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=PTZZKScr&id=A2D036720EE018BFB0C26DCF0EAE64B8698C1C2C&thid=OIP.PTZZKScrQG6xNUqG7eRU9QHaFw&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.modernforces.com%2fimg%2fnew_site%2flrrp_rations_450jpg&exph=350&expw=450&q=lrrp+rations+during+vietnam&simid=607999124926892821&selectedIndex=0

As long as you have a good source of water. LRP rice and beans, chicken and rice were good.

Back