• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting into Shape...

Major_Malfunction

Inactive
Reaction score
I've just had my medical (waiting on new eye exam) and my interview. No doubt my position will be filled before my eye exam comes back so it looks like I will be waiting until April 2010 for selection.

What to do until then?  TRAIN!

I am a certified personal trainer and I specialize in body-fat loss for men and women as well as endurance training.

I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot about people and their fears of not making it through Basic Training.

Well, maybe I can help you out with that...

first things first: Get propper running shoes!!! Walk into the store and tell the kid who really doesn't care that you need shoes for running on track and pavement. Ask him to measure your foot as well. I have wide feet and have been wearing size 12 for ages. Turns out i'm an 11 wide.

Grab a piece of paper and a pen... write down your schedule (school, work, whatever) Find the times where you're going to train and stick to it!

Now, decide what type of training you're going to do. I am a fan of gyms but prefer to box instead. I train Muay Thai for 2 hrs every morning about 4 days a week and I run almost every day.

The gym is great, just remember, you're not in it to be big and powerful (leave that for the kids who think it's important) you're there to become lean, strong, and build endurance. (good weight - really high reps 20-30 - and body weight exercises)

Push-ups and sit-ups are the easiest: do them until you get better... period.

If you can do 5, then do 5. Tomorrow, do 6. (and so on and so forth) I do about 150 - 200 push-ups per day in training and I still barely do 30 in a row. You just need to keep on practicing. Same with Sit-ups; do what you can and keep pushing yourself.

Grip test - no one has ever failed that according to the officer that interviewed me. However, if you are concerned, grab to equal (but heavy) weights and hold them at your sides until you cant anymore... try for 2-3 minutes. If you get through it, next time grab more weight.

RUNNING!

Ok, here it is...

On average, they say a 1 hour 10K is acceptable. 30 min 5K, 15 min 2.5K etc...

So, best way to do something os to set your benchmark. go for a run!

The first 10K I ever did without stopping to throw up was 1 hour and 4 minutes. Not bad if you ask me, but it goest to show you what you can do if you actually train for it.

Jump in your car and set the trip meter OR go to mapmyrun.com and map out a distance in your neighbourhood.

Then, well, go for a run! I suggest 2 weeks worth of 3K runs then throw ina 5K once a week then twice a week.

Once you're comfortable with those distances, try a 10K.

Mix it up. Try running 5K once a week, 3K twice a week, then try some sprints... any big hills in your area? Football field maybe?

They key to running is simple... no matter what your level, DON'T STOP!!! Even if you're SO damn tired that you think you're going to hurl... just slow down to a crawl and keep going!! The key is to keep moving no matter what. Your body will recover as your tempo changes and you will be able to pick it up again. DON'T STOP!!!

Other than that, just try and stay with it. If you quit, then it's all on you and some pissed off Master Corporal is going to get in your face... who wants that?

Eat smart. Remember, the CF have a rule about snacks and junk food in Basic Training as well as a "no supplement" rule. So you may as well start eating better sooner rather than later. I for one am going to miss my protein shakes, but hey, what the hell. Food is just fuel... choke it down and forget about it.

Good luck!

Welcome to army.ca

As a new member, you probably haven't had the time to see that your info has already been posted on this site.

Perhaps you will find some time to explore the site and catch up on much of the info already posted that will answer many of the questions you may have.

George
Milnet.ca Staff

Back