• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Affairs broke rules by promoting executive who slapped, yelled at staff, watchdog says

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best thing about this article is that I found out that the Public Sector Integrity Commissioner of Canada is named Joe Friday ;)

The federal government's integrity watchdog has concluded that Global Affairs Canada committed gross mismanagement by failing to keep employees safe from an executive who slapped, pushed and yelled at staff.

A damning new report says Global Affairs conducted its own internal investigation five years ago and found executive Latifa Belmahdi breached its code of conduct.

Despite that finding, the department didn't monitor Belmahdi or stop her from continuing to mistreat staff and make inappropriate comments, the report says.

Instead, the department promoted Belmahdi in 2018 to a higher leadership role.

Public Sector Integrity Commissioner of Canada Joe Friday called the promotion a "serious error" and a "matter of significant importance."

Umm, no one called the cops to report assault? I'm sure having the popo respond to a government building would raise some eyebrows.

However, from what I've seen in the public service they seem to view their workplace as not a place for law enforcement. Stuff stolen off your desk? Call management or the union...

You’d think with how the government has been removing CAF flag officers that this one would be sent packing as well…but hey it’s not the CAF so all good….
It’s my experience that they see us, caf and the practical agencies, as unwashed apes that need a heavy hand and are entirely replaceable when we aren’t what they want that minute

No surprise, similar style of management at ESDC and some other agencies. Kind of surprised there was actual physical contact though, that seems over the top, and would probably get someone knocked out.

It used to be more common for "disagreements" or "personality conflicts" to be solved in after rope stores.

Now people just make a snarky tweet or FB post.

I was challenged once by my MS when I was a LS.

It used to be more common for "disagreements" or "personality conflicts" to be solved in after rope stores.

Or on the 280s the hatch to the big messes would suddenly close; that was usually the sign of someone being sorted out or some kind of party. Did make it a pain in the ass to do rounds though.

Or on the 280s the hatch to the big messes would suddenly close; that was usually the sign of someone being sorted out or some kind of party. Did make it a pain in the ass to do rounds though.

In a foreign port... If the Fwd SIS hatch or the door to the fwd weapons workshop is closed I know my DCoxn duty is about to get interesting.

Ah, good old "outside behind the carrier lines" counselling.

Things used to get a little spicy in the Mech Workshop 😄

More weapons available but less chance of hanging due to lack of accessible lines in rope stores, so there is that!

When did the military get rid of corporal punishment? I know that it was still legal in schools till 2004.

When did the military get rid of corporal punishment? I know that it was still legal in schools till 2004.
I joined in 79 and never had anyone manhandle me (other than aforesaid counselling) even though I gave them every reason in the world to want to.

It was 100% not allowed in 2001 when I joined... I feel like someone told you a story to justify their poor leadership skills.

Anyone who misses the "good old days" when physical size/strength/fighting skill determined who was "right" is missing the picture. That crap lead to issues, that lead us to where we are now.

It was 100% not allowed in 2001 when I joined... I feel like someone told you a story to justify their poor leadership skills.

Anyone who misses the "good old days" when physical size/strength/fighting skill determined who was "right" is missing the picture. That crap lead to issues, that lead us to where we are now.
No, I am talking about how it was still legal in schools, such as the ones that children go to.

Back