• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gnr Keyes-Oliver - 30 Fd Regiment - Killed in Training Accident in Petawawa - 25 Oct 08

Rocketryan said:
Anyone know if she paraded with the 11th Field in Guelph back in May/June?
There was a Pte Keyes-Oliver in my troop when I started in late May..
It's possible, the second article mentions that her mother lives near Waterloo.
RIP and my condolences to family and friends.

Family of soldier killed in training mishap thanks supporters
Canadian Press, 26 Oct 08
Article link

The family of a Canadian soldier killed in a weekend training mishap at CFB Petawawa has issued a statement through the Defence Department thanking friends for their support in their time of mourning.  Gunner Arielle Keyes-Oliver of Ottawa was killed Saturday morning when a truck carrying 10 soldiers rolled over at the base training area .... The statement by Keyes-Oliver's family said she was proud to be a Canadian and proud to be in uniform.  It said she was a natural leader and concerned with everyone she came in contact with ....  (More on link)

Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Gunner Arielle Keyes-Oliver
MND Statement, 26 Oct 08
Statement link

The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier:

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of Gunner Arielle Keyes-Oliver, who was killed yesterday in a training accident in Petawawa, Ontario. On behalf of the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces, I would like to offer our utmost sympathies to her family and friends during this very difficult time.

I would also like to wish a quick recovery to the four other Canadian soldiers injured in the accident. Our thoughts are with you.

Canada and the Canadian Forces have lost a bright, young and talented soldier. Her loss is a tragedy and she will be missed.”

RIP Gunner!! Say hi to Mike!!

May the wounded make a full recovery!!

"Never shall I fail my brothers"

RIP, Gunner Arielle Keyes-Oliver.

My condolences to the family and friends and my hope for a speedy recovery for the injured. :salute:

I had just confirmed with colleagues today that Gnr Keyes-Oliver was, at one point, a member of the RHFC.  Although I had never really known her, as she was in the RHFC while I was deployed/on work up and had moved on to 11th Field (then 30 field) before I came home, She was still a member of the Regimental family, and a member of the big CF family...  She will be missed.

My sincerest condolences to her family and friends....  and a speedy recovery for the injured.  :salute:

RIP Keyes  :salute:

I did my SQ with her. She was a great soldier and a great friend.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081026/military_investigation_081026/20081026/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Just watched the video, recognized her face and it mentioned she was part of 11th Field

Gunner, I barely knew you, but you seemed like a really nice person, it's a terrible thing to have happen to you

Rest In Peace  :salute: :cdn:

RIP Gunner Stand Easy you have earned it.
  Thoughts go out to the family and friends and regimental family of Gunner Keyes-Oliver.  :cdn:Speedy recovery to the injured.
  Thoughts to my old family at 11th Field who grieve one of their our own.

3rd Horseman

11th Field Regt 81-85

Rest in peace Gunner

My condolences to the family friends and comrades
To the injured, get well & get back into the saddle

Chimo!

Rest in Peace Gunner, my sincere condolences to the family, the Regiment, and all who were friends. To the wounded, get well. Ubique

Rest in peace Gunner.

I wish for a speedy recovery to those injured in Saturdays accident.

----------------
Offnote: The comments left by individuals in the CBC story that Haggis posted are awfuly distasteful...

RIP Gnr Keyes-Oliver.  Condolances to her family and colleagues. :cdn:
Wishing a full and speedy recovery to the wounded.  :cdn:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Land-Force-Central-Area-Dept-Of-National-Defence-913929.html

Land Force Central Area - Dept of National Defence

Oct 27, 2008 15:05 ET

Media Advisory: Statement From Lieutenant-Colonel Shane Vahey, Commanding Officer, 30th Field Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 27, 2008) - 30th Field Artillery Regiment has suffered a tragic vehicle accident. During this difficult time we are working diligently to ensure the welfare of all soldiers in the regiment.

I wanted to say that our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Gunner Arielle Keyes-Oliver during this very difficult period.

Although Arielle had only been transferred to the unit in September, she had been wholly absorbed into the regimental family. She was a popular and respected soldier and Arielle's loss will be mourned by all members of the Regiment.

30th Field Regiment is working hard to ensure that Arielle's family receive all the support and assistance they may require.

We will also ensure that the remainder of our injured members and their families receive the same level of care, support and assistance available from our Regiment, The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery and the Canadian Forces.

In light of what has transpired, the families of all the soldiers involved in this unfortunate situation wish to remain out of the media spotlight and we ask the media to respect their wishes.

Information on further developments will be forthcoming.

For more information, please contact

33 Canadian Brigade Group
Lieutenant Marc Greatti
Public Affairs Officer
(613) 949-7196

The funeral home has posted an obituary, which includes details on funeral arrangements.

http://www.erbgood.com/Obituary.php?id=4306

Arielle Keyes-Oliver

1989 – 2008

Passed away tragically, at CFB Petawawa on Saturday, October 25th, 2008 at 19 years of age.

Arielle is sadly missed by her loving parents, Diane and David; her beloved sister Tressa; cherished grandparents, Ken and Catherine Richardson of Cambridge, Doug and Eileen Oliver of Grey County, and her special friend Antoine Trabulsi. She will be forever remembered by her many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.

Arielle was born in Cambridge, graduated from KCI in Kitchener and was attending Carleton University in Ottawa. Among her many interests were music, horseback riding and kickboxing. Arielle was a Sea Cadet at #94 Warspite in Kitchener for five years and next month would have been her two year anniversary in the Army. She attained her Gunner’s Hat Badge this past summer. Arielle was involved in three regiments, the Highland Fusiliers of Cambridge, and the 11th and 30th Field Regiments of the Royal Canadian Artillery.

Friends are invited to share their memories of Arielle with her family during visitation at the Erb & Good Family Funeral Home, 171 King Street South, Waterloo, on Thursday, October 30, from 2-4 and 7-9 pm and Friday, October 31 from 2-4 and 7-9 pm. The funeral service will be held at Waterloo Pentecostal Assembly, 395 King Street North, Waterloo on Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 11:00 am. Interment will follow at Parkview Cemetery, Waterloo.

Donations in Arielle’s memory will be confirmed in Wednesday’s obituary and can be arranged by calling the funeral home, 519.745.8445 or www.erbgood.com.

In living memory of Arielle, a donation will be made to the Trees for Learning Program by the funeral home.

Back