• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Google Maps - take a look

"Balloon A" has two SR-71s and a U2 as 'Gate Guards.'  And is that a B2 or F-117?

Thats a B2

I remember seeing a few other US airbases where you can see F-16s and -15s along the tarmac.  In Halifax you can see a CPF coming into the Harbour.  Its a cool little feature, great for procrastination.

TCBF said:
"Balloon A" has two SR-71s and a U2 as 'Gate Guards.'    And is that a B2 or F-117?

I think that the two SR-71 and the U2 are "popcicles" as there is no active runway anyplace around them...The B-2 on the other hand...

There's also an F117 is you scroll around to find it. Neat picture.

Almost as much fun as looking for ICBM silo covers. ;D

Just an update to this, another cool little feature for all you astronauts...

"In honor of the first manned Moon landing, which took place on July 20, 1969, we've added some NASA imagery to the Google Maps interface to help you pay your own visit to our celestial neighbor."

http://moon.google.com/

cheers.

edit:
Forgot to add, http://earth.google.com/ , a free desktop app, PC only but definitely worth a look.

Oh thats funny :p  When you zoom in to max it shows cheese.

If you don't allready have this free 8th wonder of the world: http://earth.google.com/

My fav. places:

55.6805, 12.5858 - Kongens Nytorv, Copenhagen

37.7785, -122.5140 - Cliff House, San Francisco

40.7484, -73.9859 - Empire State Building, New York

35.6722, 139.7634 - Sony Building, Tokyo

Iraq:

30.510, 47.800 - Downtown, Basra

31.010, 47.435 - Downtown, Al Qurna

29.975, 48.475 - Downtown, Al Faw

30.000, 48.405 - Battlescared old Iraqi positions ( Iran/Iraq war )

( Just copy - paste coordinates )

This thing is scarey!
It gives grid co-ords for positions of tactical importance, even bearing and distance from a known point.

Anyone else see this as a problem?

Not really... The world is the world... and any enemy country outthere have proberbly allready bought satelite pictures of any importent installation a long time ago...

Almost forgot:

51.508,- 0.128 - Trafalgar Square, London

GNR said:

About the only solution to this and many other similar instances, is to totally close down the Internet.   Besides, Intelligence Services (Foreign and Domestic) are monitoring these things.  

Wether or not we can stop it is another issue all together, it still could be a problem.

The problem was identified a long time ago and the authorities in charge weighed the pros and cons and decided to let these sites exist.  They provide a bigger benefit than not.  As I said, they are monitored for certain activities and acted upon.

A couple more:

Petawawa: 45.899996, -77.279977
Gagetown: 45.835900, -66.452363

The USAF boneyards are interesting too; at least one airfield in the former Soviet Union has an aircraft coming in on approach in one of the photos.  I had a list on another forum of sites of military interest, I'll see if I can find it.

Plant 42 in Palmdale, California

type this in and you'll find something good

Back