• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gortex Socks

doomwolf

Inactive
Reaction score
This is a somewhat basic question, but is there a 'right' way to wear them? I'm only asking because I got them issued yesterday.

Wear them over your socks....seriously.      ;)

Regards

Just making sure there wasn't anything special you have to do. Thanks.

Make sure you put your boots on after the socks, they are'nt outerwear.

GO!!! said:
Make sure you put your boots on after the socks, they are'nt outerwear.
:rofl:

You should have been told when you were issued them.  It's the new "sock system"

The Black thin sock goes first, then the green outer sock.  If you are refering to the big gortex socks that look like pirate boots (with the velcro at the top) then take Recce By Death's advice.  Wear them over your socks but before the boot and you will be alright  ;)

Just a note to add a bit of seriousness to this mock-fest...

If you are going to be in the field for awhile without access to washing facilities, be careful with the foot powder if you plan on using the Gortex socks.  The powder can clog the membrane and decrease the effectiveness of the membrane.

This came to me from a SARTEC.

Also, when washing them make sure you use the high heat setting for the dryer.

(make sure you read the directions that come on the socks.  It's all there)

Cadet Warrant-Mann said:
make sure you put each sock on the right foot  ;) ;D

So you don't wear anything on the left foot then??   ;D

No, silly Navymich, he means put each sock on the "correct" foot.

Just remember, don't put them on inside-out, otherwise you're screwed.  :blotto:

Cadet Warrant-Mann said:
make sure you put each sock on the right foot  ;) ;D
silly.... they're ambidextrous.

A few basics..
Don't wear them all the time. They get dirty and dont work well when you need them. They will also get wet (your feet perspire very heavily) after extended wear.

Make sure they do not bunch up, pull them snug and make sure the top of your boots are tight enough to not let them slip. They slip, and your feet are done.

Dont wear them in hot hot weather. The additional insulation they provide as well as the moisture from your sweat will ensure that your feet are destroyed after a couple days of walking. Just accept that your feet will get wet. Using them at night is a safer bet in hot weather. Do not ruck in them.

Tip: to keep them from slipping down your leg, and letting copious amounts of water in, use an elastic on either side, and fold the sock down over the elastic to the desired height.

The verdict: Great kit if used right. If you are in the Army, accept that your feet may get wet.

I recently walked nearly 30km with my Gore tex socks on, through swamps, creeks and in the rain for an exercise, with all of my kit.

As long as they are the right size (tight over your socks with no creases) you can do whatever you wish in them. Most guys I've seen with serious (ie debilitating) deep blistering were due to wearing GT socks too big for them, which causes huge hot spots and later blisters to occur.

My philosophy has always been to go until my feet are wet the first time, then change socks and add the gore tex socks, wearing them until either the boots dry out on your feet, or we get access to follow up kit with my other pairs of dry boots in it!

Back