• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Got a hard question

MAJONES said:
Ya, yeah->Not words for proper, polite, professional writing.  Try 'yes'.

...Nor in speaking.
Shoot, my kid's only 5, and even she knows that there is no such word as "YEAH", "Ya" or "Mmm-Hmm" (check your Funk & Wagnall's...I swear that none of those words are in there).

Write like you would speak.
(Just friendly advice)

Hammer Sandwich said:
...Nor in speaking.
Shoot, my kid's only 5, and even she knows that there is no such word as "YEAH", "Ya" or "Mmm-Hmm" (check your Funk & Wagnall's...I swear that none of those words are in there).

Write like you would speak.
(Just friendly advice)

Well, I checked my Funk and Wagnalls, and hopefully you didn't "bet your sweet bippy" because you would have lost it.  But yeah (and I'm using it correctly), the word "yeah" is there.  Now it may not be in a current F&W dictionary, but that is probably because they don't publish them anymore; my copy was printed in the 1960s.  However, as I tend to use my Concise Oxford Dictionary more, (and because Funk and Wagnalls don't have a web presence, since they no longer exist as a publisher) I provide the following.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/yeah?view=uk
yeah  (also yeh)
exclamation & noun 
non-standard spelling of yes, representing informal pronounciation

And while "Ya" or "Mmm-Hmm" are not to be found in that aging dictionary "yep" and "yup" are there, indicated as informal variations of "yes".

Whether you tell your 5 year old is up to you.

Blackadder1916 said:
And while "Ya" or "Mmm-Hmm" are not to be found in that aging dictionary "yep" and "yup" are there, indicated as informal variations of "yes".
Whether you tell your 5 year old is up to you.
:rofl:
Ouch...second time I've been burned on that one........

I'll just go on back to radio chatter now..... :-[

Back