• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Got accepted for Signals (DEO): Questions

U235

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day all, hope your Christmas went well, and the New Year looks good for all of us.

I accepted the Signals Officer position in the Army, and have a few questions regarding winter BMQ (St. Jean - January 11th). I have read through some threads, and found this link to be helpful: http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/98308.0/topicseen.html

I plan on bringing the following:

- Long Johns
- Thermal shirts
- T-MAX socks
- GORTEX gloves
- Running shoes
- Underwear, socks, general clothing
- Advil
- Vitamin pills
- Caffeine pills
- General hygiene products (toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, deodorant, etc)
- Boots

Some things I'm not too sure about:

- Boots; are we required to wear the issued boots? If not, I plan on bringing some Dunlop Purofort's.
- Caffeine pills; I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they do not allow any stimulants, including caffeine and nicotine, is this correct?
- Please aware me on the importance of a head-lamp.
- Should I get a buzz cut before training? I currently have a parted hairstyle.

Finally, any advice as to what to avoid (behaviour, items, fitness) or advice in general?

Boots: everyone is the same at basic. You will be issued boots and those are the boots you wear until your first posting when things *MAY* be different.

other kit: again *MOST* platoon staff will not let you use ANY non-issued kit (thermals, Gore-Tex, etc). If it's black or army green, you *may* get away with it, but you may get told to not use it.

caffeine/vitamin pills: If the military didn't allow caffeine and/or nicotine, the whole system would come to a screeching halt. Learn to like your coffee hot and black (the break areas are often out of creamer and sugar), and you may have your smoking restricted by some platoon staff. In Farnham, our staff decided that if you wanted to have a smoke, you and your FTP had to do 25 pushups before and after each smoke. Lots of people didn't bother smoking. Your luggage may get searched upon arrival at CFLRS for contraband (knives, candy, drugs). If non-prescription meds are found (or prescription meds with someone else's name on it), they may get taken away for the duration of the course. Caffeine pills are not recommended.

Head Lamp: make sure it has a red light option (the only light you will be allowed to use in the field). And make sure it is easy for you to use in the dark. it also needs to fit over your helmet.

Hair: your choice. You will be taken to the barber the first week for an acceptable haircut. Unless you are bald, you will be sitting in the barber's chair. Your hair will ALWAYS be too long for the staff's taste. And they take you to the barber every 2 weeks or so for a touch up.

Thank you very much for the information!

I've always been a black coffee drinker - cold or hot, so I'm in the clear for that one. That's a good way to get people to quit smoking. I don't smoke, but have been an occasional user of snus (Swedish spitless tobacco) for the past few years.

I don't think I'll pick up a headlamp until required or suggested by the instructors; I don't want to get something that's incompatible or not recommended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From what I understand, I will be going to CFSCE after my BMQ. What does this entail for a Signals Officer? Is it highly theoretical? Is the workload difficult? I've already obtained my Engineering degree, so I know I can do it, but it's more of the combination of physical and mental stresses combined that I'm worried about.

Thanks again!

Very good advice! That also has helped me :) I'm trying to learn everything I can when possible. Even though I still have to go for my interview, I am keeping my head high, and trying to be ready for that call to go, so I can be all set when I arrive. :D

Hi, welcome and good luck.

- Long Johns - you'll be issued 2 pr
- Thermal shirts - you'll be issued 2 pr
- T-MAX socks
- GORTEX gloves
- Running shoes
- Underwear, socks, general clothing - You'll be issued 5 PR of socks, winter socks, t shirt, and underwear. But yes bring your own civys
- Advil - Be careful, we had a guy give a coursemate Advil. The guy then fell out of a truck (had a medical condition). But after the fact we were all explained how we can't give each other medication and only the Mir can only give medication out even  non prescription.
- Vitamin pills - no problem here
- Caffeine pills - I've heard this is a chargeable offence. I was told by two other people to bring them but hide them. I didn't  bring them as I didn't want to risk it.
- General hygiene products (toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, - bring a spare tooth brush for your boots.

Headlamp's are very important once you get into the field. You won't be able to see at all without it. You also will need one to charge the compass so you can see it at night. If you get one make sure it was two buttons one for red and one for white. You won't go to the field the first day so if you don't show up with one it won't be a deal breaker. But due to things like leave or short notice to the field/night setup you may be restricted to what's in the canex.

Other advice
Have fun, keep an open mind
Wait to ask things on course like "can we wear non issued boots?". There is a time and place for everything.

Again not 100% on the advil or cafiene pills, but those were my experiences with them.

Thank you very much runormal. I will avoid bringing Advil and caffeine pills, since I don't want any problems with my time there.

I do have a steel pocket flashlight (235 lumens) that produces white/read/green/blue light, and was thinking of taking that along since it's small and durable.

I'll just bump this Signals Officer related question: From what I understand, I will be going to CFSCE after my BMQ. What does this entail for a Signals Officer? Is it highly theoretical? Is the workload difficult? I've already obtained my Engineering degree, so I know I can do it, but it's more of the combination of physical and mental stresses combined that I'm worried about.

Having not done the officer course I could only speculate.

I searched and found these:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81229.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/105686.0

I hope they help.

I was watching basic up and they were talking about having a picture frame, not sure if it was really true. The instructor said they needed pictures to put in them, or else he was gonna bring in pics of his mom. So I'm wondering if it was more of a joke or what?

A lot of what you can and can't do will depend on your staff. You can survive the indoc period bringing only the minimums. Once you get a feeling for what your staff allow and don't allow, you can always go to the Canex or Walmart to pick up anything helpful that might be in the grey-area

Milhouse said:
I was watching basic up and they were talking about having a picture frame, not sure if it was really true. The instructor said they needed pictures to put in them, or else he was gonna bring in pics of his mom. So I'm wondering if it was more of a joke or what?

It depends.

On my DP1, in our room standard booklet we got, it said each member was allowed to put a 5 x7 picture frame. So one individual did, next day for inspection. WHY IS THERE A PICTURE FRAME IN YOUR ROOM, HOW COME NO ONE ELSE HAS ONE? He tried stating that it was in the booklet they didn't care and told him to put up a memo for it. He eventually was allowed to do it

Like Cornish says, it depends.

Back