• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Great Names in the Royal Canadian Armour Corps

Hey, speaking of Recce Sqn cooks, remember the guy who was promoted Mcpl on Fall Ex in 83 and demoted right after the tank train back. I believe that was the last "wet" train.

Doog

Yeah.  One week of beating the bush, in Munsingen, wasn't it?  No fresh rats, just C rats.  Then we come back on a Saturday night for our first decent meal, and find out that this lazy slob had gotten promoted, got drunk, burnt the stew to cinders, and then added water and peanut butter to the burnt mess to cover up his mistake.  And then fed it to us, with no second choice option.  Some good meal we had.  I thought he was going to die that night. 

The rest of the ex the food wasn't that bad, but not great.

He got drunk once to often, and got charged.

....oh oh....

where's my Germany helmet?

:warstory:  ;D

Just to let you know Ron Brownridge is, or at he was 4 years ago, doing upholstery work in Oromocto. He even redid my motorcycle seat for a very reasonable price.

Regards

I see Ron every month at the RCD association get togethers.  Along with a few dozen others that you guys know.  Busher, Leroy, Ray Ward, Tom Skelding, and others.

Hey Lance ever hear of Malcom ( Bud) Tower an RCD Sgt I think the last place he worked was range control in Gagetown.

Bud Tower was my very first boss when I joined up, in 73.  But I thought I heard he was range control Borden/Meaford or somewhere like that ten or so years ago.  I have no clue where he is now....

He passed away a few years ago, I think 5 or 6 after he got out , he had a bad heart. I worked for him a range Control as well . A good guy .

Geez, nobody mentioned me...:)

Worked for Walt (can't spell his last name), Rosseau, and Hillier- I'll echo my respect for all three.

Had Atkinson as a young Lt, thought he did very well.

The list of outstanding NCO's I've worked with would fill a book.

Cheers-garry

Surprised there are not more names. Looking back in my personal rearview mirror there are memorable characters, leaders that we respected,  those we tried to emulate and the ones that we try to forget.
    Peter Wonderham comes to mind as one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. In the short time I worked with him I learned valuable leadership lessons.
    Of course LW and I can go back a long way.......did they ever figure out how to get that coffee cup out of your hand? LOL..
    George Martin was the picture firm fair and friendly. (even though his 30 kmh drives to the north marg while recording plate numbers of anyone passing him, sent some into fits of laughter and others verging on nervous breakdown).
    And then there was Gerhardt Neumann...............always up to somthing just to lighten the mood.

Andy Reid

Hey, Andy!

Glad you somehow managed to stumble on to this site as well.  I hope that you will be posting here now and then?

What are you up to nowadays?

I always got a kick out of the fact that Major-General F.F. Worthington, CB, MC, MM was a Patricia.

Hi Lance!
        I'm just kick'n around you know. I sent you an e-mail at your home address. Good to hear from you.
        I thought I would include a few lines about the soldiers who have left an impression.
        A lot of people know Jack Dangerfield for 4CMBG Snowballs......... I have another story that speaks volumes of the type of person he is. I had just arrived in Gagetown from Cornwallis for TQ3 training. After a few weeks we were given Easter off so I flew home to Montreal for a few days (in uniform). On my return to Fredrickton "International" I found myself trying to figure out how I was going to get my (habitually) cash strapped frame back to base. Out of know where i felt tap on my shoulder. A officer was asking if I needed a ride to base. I quickly agreed and we were off in a staff car. Being wet behind the ears I never asked who he was and was dropped in front of H21 to a whole hockey sock full of duty personnel standing to attention and saluting. ( I was starting to think returning from leave was quite formal)
      The following morning I was summoned to see the course officer. I was told in no uncertain terms that bumming rides from the Director of Armour was unprofessional and not the type of thing a young soldier should begin his career by doing. Later that day, during an Armoured School parade, Col Dangerfield inspected. he stopped in front of me and asked if I was rested after my weekend in Montreal and he had enjoyed our conversation on the drive to base He also added, jokingly, that he hoped I didn't get in trouble for using a staff car. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the Course officer staring at the ground. Nothing more was ever said.
  A small gesture of kindness can last years. Although he was hard charging, hard working and would never expect anything less than 110% from subordinates, I always saw him as a kind gentleman with a distinctive human side.

Hey all , anyone ever hear of a gent  by the name of Breckinridge,a WO. with the Stats, Im sure you all have , just wondering whatever became of him ,  .................I drove a track for him for a shit;oad  of PH 4 courses in Gagetown,83, 84 ? let me see some of the his other partners in crime were TJ Oconner, Laurie Babineau,  Ronnie White,....a bad crowd to  be sure . 

Andy, welcome aboard!

Gerhard? Retired.  I just e-mailed him this morning.  Saw him in Petawawa last Dec.

MWO T.J. O'cconor-Nepinak is SSM HQ Sqn KOCR in Calgary.  Saw him a month ago.

Tom

Tom,
  Greetings. I sure hope you typed real slow to Gerhard............ I recall when we had R.S. as tp wo (a little verticaly challenged), Gerhard dug a hole to stand in so he was eye to eye with him for an O Group :blotto: Tom you still fighting the good fight our have you checked your pistols and joined the ranks of former soldiers??

Lost but making good time
Andy

Andy, I am still in, as an Armoured Observer/Controller at CMTC Wainwright. 

We had a luncheon today for Chris Lawrence, who is retiring after 21 years, and his wife.  Naturally, talk revolved around a certain Leopard C1 in Gagetown that tried to join the Kriegsmarine, and resulted in a flooded tank, and $1,000,000 damage to the fire control systems and powerpack.

A good time was had by all. 

He will be missed.

TCBF said:
We had a luncheon today for Chris Lawrence, who is retiring after 21 years, and his wife.   Naturally, talk revolved around a certain Leopard C1 in Gagetown that tried to join the Kriegsmarine, and resulted in a flooded tank, and $1,000,000 damage to the fire control systems and powerpack.

I remember those days.  Got pictures of that beast in the hangar before it thawed out.  Some mess.

Back