• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Green passport and RCN travel. [Merged]

CallOfDuty

Inactive
Reaction score
      Hey there guys.............I was just curious.  When you travel to other countries while in the Navy, should you have a Canadian passport with you  And if not, would you say its a good idea to anyway?
  Cheers all
Steve
PS--- A retired Navy buddy of mine told me that when he retired, he came home from Dubai on a commercial plane and then when in France or England( not sure which) he was given alot of trouble for not having a passport
:cdn:

Your ship's office will generally handle the paperwork to get your passport (green...it least ours were).

As for your friend he should have been travelling under NATO Travel Orders and should not have been given any problems.

NATO travel orders used to be the way to go, accompanied by your military ID. Problem with it though is that if you are flying through a non-NATO country, you could run into problems.

Passports are the only way to go.

IMHO, all members posted to operational units should have a green passport issued as part of their in-routine.

Get a passport!

Going overseas the DND will generally arrange for green passports to designate people as "government officials" (as opposed to blue which is ordinary citizen).

NATO travel orders don't always work, even in NATO countries - I have had friends face untold delays because customs/immigration officials would not (or could not) recognise the travel orders.

If green ones aren't being issued, my advice is to always have some type of passport. 

I have a question about the green passports:

Do you require a "Guarantor" like you would for a normal blue passport?

I have to get a green passport and its proving to be very inconvient for me to find one a Guarantor

The admin staff should be arranging that for you.

my OR gave my the standard passport application, same one I used to get my blue passport.  It requires the signature of a Guarantor

Well, that seems like a stereotype of the "support" staff.

Although military officers are not listed as possible guarantors, the passport office will often make an exception for your supervisor or CO to sign - but check with your local passport office, first!

Carbon-14 said:
Do you require a "Guarantor" like you would for a normal blue passport?

You do not require a guarantor for CF issue Green Passports.  Just submit the paperwork and it will all magically work out in the end.

Do you need a green passport when deploying on a ship for a long period away from Canada?

Thanks. First deployment, plus in another element and has been getting run around continually for months. No pay, no joining instruction, just "you should know, you are a Cpl".

Rifleman62 said:
Do you need a green passport when deploying on a ship for a long period away from Canada?

I deployed "with" both but was only ever given access to my blue one for HLTA purposes. While in theatre, both were held on to by the OR/PSP staff (if I remember correctly). To and from theatre we flew on government aircraft.

In my experience we use the blue PP in the RCN.  The only time I have used the green was on my Land/Army deployments.

Halifax Tar said:
In my experience we use the blue PP in the RCN.  The only time I have used the green was on my Land/Army deployments.

That is the same as my experience with all three deployments I did while on ship, with the last one ending in August of 2017.

For the guarantor here's the ref from passport Canada;

Guarantor requirements for military personnel applying for a regular passport (blue)

Regular Military Force officers may act as guarantor for other Regular Force personnel and their dependents if they have known them personally for two years or more. These officers include:

NDHQ Directors
    Base Commanders
    Commanding Officers
    NDHQ Career Managers
    NDHQ Director Generals
    Personnel Administrative Officers
    any other commissioned officer (Captain and above) with access to service records
        instead of indicating the number of years they have known you, they must write “through service records which I have verified”

Only when the applicant is military personnel can military police act as a guarantor. They must personally know the applicant for two years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

It's pretty easy, have done it myself a whack of time of times myself (for passports and wills).  Your CoC should be able to do this; all they are actually signing is that you are who you say you are.

I always use my Green PP for work trips, because when I go to Cuba on vacation or something like that, I don't want them to be able to see all the places I visit for 'other reasons'.

Eye In The Sky said:
I always use my Green PP for work trips, because when I go to Cuab on vacation or something like that, I don't want them to be able to see all the places I visit for 'other reasons'.

They don't stamp your passport when you make a port visit, so the only stamps are from leave/LTA. My passport has places like Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, Spain and Portugal. It doesn't matter who sees that I've been to any of those places, other than making a few people jealous.

CanadianTire said:
I deployed "with" both but was only ever given access to my blue one for HLTA purposes. While in theatre, both were held on to by the OR/PSP staff (if I remember correctly). To and from theatre we flew on government aircraft.

Because what could go wrong with that?

Pusser said:
Because what could go wrong with that?

I'm not sure what the issue is.  Mbr takes both to theatre (on gov't aircraft), hands off to OR.  On HLTA, OR gives blue passport.  After return, mbr hands back blue passport.  At end of tour, Mbr takes both back to Canada.

I'd think that the OR, where it's secure (or as secure as reasonably possible) with a bunch of people able to quickly give out the passports, would be better than the mbr having them in the field. 

Back