• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grognards amongst us?

Do you play Squad Leader, or any other wargame for that matter?

• Total voters
Thucydides said:
Sad news. When I get home I will have to find my copies of Squad Leader and Panzer Leader...
I just played a game on Sunday.  I introduced a friend to it.  We played "The Guards Counterattack".  Great fun!  He "got" the system and we had a pretty good game.

(The Germans won!)

When you get home, go to http://www.vassalengine.org.  You can download a java-script based program where you can play *any* board game on.  It even logs your move for PBeM games. 

(I have at least four on the go right now)

Cheers

Doing a bit of thread-necromancy here ...

I don't play ASL, I've given Lock'n Load a try, but I'm more interested in miniatures wargame (which I play a lot) and video-wargames (which I'm a developper of  ;)).

Although I like WW2, Kursk and the Battle of Normandy like any other Grognard, I'd rather paint more unsung armies & battles.
Recently, I've been working on adapting a French WW2 minis rules (Blitzkrieg) for the French Indochina War, and have been painting quite a lot of 15mm French colonial/paratrooper/Légion/vehicles & Vietminh regulars and irregulars. Some of them displayed here.

Now that my "Indochina project" is about to be completed, I'm focusing on another unsung army: Italian WW2 desert troops!  ;D
I'm planning to paint a Compagnie Sahariana, the Italian desert raiders counterparts to the British LRDG.

With a friend of mine, we are also playing 6mm Napoleonic battle, at corps level with the lowest unit to command being the brigade. Those are "house rules" written by my opponent.

Also playing quite a lot of video-wargames. My all-time favorite, still playing it from time to time, being the Close Combat series.
I have played a lot of Panzer General too, but that series has recently found a more-than-worthy heir with Unity of Command, IMO the best turn-based wargame on PC since at least a decade.

Back