• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter

J

jollyjacktar

Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter

By Christopher Leake
Last updated at 5:58 PM on 18th July 2010

A Gurkha soldier has been flown back to the UK after hacking the head off a dead Taliban commander with his ceremonial knife to prove the dead man’s identity.
The private, from 1st Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles, was involved in a fierce firefight with insurgents in the Babaji area of central Helmand Province when the incident took place earlier this month.  His unit had been told that they were seeking a ‘high value target,’ a Taliban commander, and that they must prove they had killed the right man.  Deadly: A platoon of Gurkhas demonstrate their skill with their kukri knives in a training exercise, after it is revealed that one of their regiment chopped off the head of a Taliban fighter in order to find proof of ID

Deadly: A platoon of Gurkhas demonstrate their skill with their kukri knives in a training exercise, after it is revealed that one of their regiment chopped off the head of a Taliban fighter in order to find proof of ID  The Gurkhas had intended to remove the Taliban leader’s body from the battlefield for identification purposes.  But they came under heavy fire as their tried to do so. Military sources said that in the heat of battle, the Gurkha took out his curved kukri knife and beheaded the dead insurgent.  He is understood to have removed the man’s head from the area, leaving the rest of his body on the battlefield.  This is considered a gross insult to the Muslims of Afghanistan, who bury the entire body of their dead even if parts have to be retrieved.  British soldiers often return missing body parts once a battle has ended so the dead can be buried in one piece.  A source said: ‘Removing the head in this way was totally inappropriate.’

Army sources said that the soldier, who is in his early 20s, initially told investigators that he unsheathed his kukri – the symbolic weapon of the Gurkhas – after running out of ammunition.  But later the Taliban fighter was mutilated so his identity could be verified through DNA tests.  The source said: ‘The soldier has been removed from duty and flown home. There is no sense of glory involved here, more a sense of shame. He should not have done what he did.’  The incident, which is being investigated by senior commanders, is hugely embarrassing to the British Army, which is trying to build bridges with local Afghan communities who have spent decades under ­Taliban rule.

It comes just days after a rogue Afghan soldier murdered three British troops from the same Gurkha regiment.  If the Gurkha being investigated by the Army is found guilty of beheading the dead enemy soldier, he will have contravened the Geneva Conventions which dictate the rules of war. Soldiers are banned from demeaning their enemies.  The Gurkha now faces disciplinary action and a possible court martial. If found guilty, he could be jailed.  He is now confined to barracks at the Shorncliffe garrison, near Folkestone, Kent.

The incident happened as the Gurkha troop was advancing towards a hostile area before engaging the enemy in battle.  Colonel Richard Kemp, a former commander of British forces in Afghanistan, said: ‘In this case, it appears that the ­soldier was not acting maliciously, but his actions were clearly ill-judged.  ‘The Gurkhas are a very fine regiment with a proud tradition of service in the British forces and have fought very bravely in Afghanistan.  'I have no doubt that this behaviour would be as strongly condemned by the other members of that regiment, as it would by all soldiers in the British forces.’  A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: ‘We are aware of an incident and have informed the Afghan authorities. An inves-t­igation is underway and it would not be appropriate to comment further until this is concluded.’ 

Regiment’s proud symbol of valour 

The iconic kukri knife used by the Gurkhas can be a weapon or a tool. It is the traditional utility knife of the Nepalese people, but is mainly known as a symbolic weapon for Gurkha regiments all over the world.  The kukri signifies courage and valour on the battlefield and is sometimes worn by bridegrooms during their wedding ceremony.  The kukri’s heavy blade enables the user to inflict deep wounds and to cut muscle and bone with one stroke.  It can also be used in stealth operations to slash an enemy’s throat, killing him instantly and silently.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295617/Gurkha-ordered-UK-beheading-dead-Taliban-fighter.html#ixzz0u4nhx7oG

Achieving the end state: Pass

Scheme of manouevre COA selection: Fail.

There are not enough facts, and those that we know are reported by a biased media. Let's wait until we have all the facts, or the British military has done their due diligence before the amateurs start making decisions.

Simple POCT basics.

If you've had the course.

Poor young man,does not seem to understand the 21 century concept of war,you should aim

to make your enemy love you , not fear you.

I am sure this a concept that a Gurkha would have difficulty getting his head around.

Another point,I do not think anyone in the British Army,under the rank of Leftenant will be in

slightest embarrassed.

Regards

According to this.

Having identified their target, a fierce battle ensued during which the warlord was killed. To prove that they had got their man, the Gurkhas attempted to remove the body for identification. Further enemy fire necessitated a fast exit minus corpse. So, an unnamed soldier drew his kukri  -  the standard-issue Gurkha knife  -  removed the man's head and legged it.

I personally can't in good conscience blame the guy for taking initiative.

HavokFour said:
According to this.

I personally can't in good conscience blame the guy for taking initiative.

You may want to reconsider personally excusing/condoning the soldier's actions since, requirement to PID or not, his actions were counter to the Hague and Geneva Conventions and the Law of Armed Conflict.

Posts like these are not necessary and better kept as a thought to one's self.

Milnet.ca Staff

I agree that we have to wait for more details to come out, as none of us were there and the only information we do have comes from a biased media.

However, I do have to politely disagree with you G2G, and side with HavokFour on this one.

They needed to remove their HVT for ident purposes, but were unable to do so due to enemy fire.  The young soldier took initiative, and while his actions have subsequently been ruled to be grossly inappropriate, he did do what he thought was necessary to complete the mission at hand. 

I am in no way condoning his actions, as they are a violation of multiple conventions and laws, as well as grossly disrespectful.  However - we do need to consider context.  There were in a fierce firefight, and were continuing to draw fire at the time of the incident.  From what the article has stated, he performed this act out of a misplaced sense of urgency to identify the body, not because he had any sort of malicious intent.

I agree with what your saying in regards to the rules of armed conflict, etc, etc....but I do hope that context is maintained during his court martial.

Tracking as well, CBH99, and those familiar know there are other means of securing PID on HVTs.  That's not to say that a Courts Martial wouldn't take all conditions into account. 

The warning was not specifically about the act itself, but more one to be wary about what one personally professes on a public website, that as well has an owner who is responsible for what is contained herein.

Regards
G2G

Back