• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guys, I really need some advice about joining. Badly.

I am just a year younger and I'll be finishing my diploma in May. What has helped  me out is  knowing that I am not the only one.
I decided to get my diploma to increase my options and it will be over with. I am amassed how a few years has gone by and my attitude has changed, and I am very different from high school. I found I can take in alot more information than I could back in high school, however I learned I had to go in it slowly or I'd get burned out. That is the problem from being away from school to long.

Alot of colleges have options of taking your high school online, which is a bonus.

Education, Education, Education.

If 21 is " old " , I should be dead.

Education is a tool to be used.  Either in joining the military or on civvy street.

There are many good suggestion offered here, pick the ones that you are comfortable with.

There is the possibility that furthering your education while serving could be difficult, depending on you trade. Not impossible though.

Its not uncommon for people who express their long lasting desire to join the military, putting in for their release.  Its not all fancy TV commercials and posters.

If the military is in you, then you will be in the military.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

If 21 is old; what will you be next year, or the year after?

Get your Diploma.  If you want join the Reserves to get a taste of what the CF is and earn some extra money.  If you are currently employed, this will take up some of your "non-work day" as would going back to school. 

You only require a Grade Ten to join the Reserves.  The Regular Force requires a HS Diploma. 

Will the CF pay you to get an education?  In a way yes, but you will have to do so, in most cases, in your off hours.  This is not in reference to being accepted to RMC or another officer entry plan for graduating HS students.  There are different programs and incentives that the CF has to further one's education.  You will also find that the CF is constantly training you and putting you on courses (military). 

Blackadder1916 said:
While a "slang" term for anything does not have to have official recognition to be used, sometimes there are consequences for using the wrong slang.  I've most often heard "boot camp" used in reference to USMC basic recruit training.  Way back in 1976 (when I attended CFRC Cornwallis) the commonly use term was "basic".  One of my fellow recruits once used the term "boot camp" in the presence of an instructor (and he may also have called him a DI, another no-no).  The instructor, to reinforce his lesson about nomenclature, made the recruit wear both pairs of his boots, one pair on his feet, one pair on his hands and had him walk on all fours around the barracks 100 times.

Nomenclature aside......he's a DI through and through.... ;D

Finger Eleven, Goo Goo Dolls, Faber Drive, Jimmy Eat World. 

These are bands......ohhhhh, am I ever out of date....I thought they were snacks..... ;D

You are old enough to make your own decisions now....Be a man and make the decision to do what you want to do....You are going to have to live with your decision for the rest of your life so if your parents make that decision for you than you may not be happy say 20 years down the road...But if you decide to join and you don't like it than you can always do something else....Your decision to join may not be popular with your parents but you are your own person when you become an adult...

If you want to be a soldier than be a soldier...If you want to be an engineer than be a engineer....It's just that simple...

Our stories ran down similar paths. I went to college and it just wasn't for me. My gf and parents told me not to join... i told them to support my decisions.. and they did now I'm waiting for basic.. Army isnt a career choice I think it's more of a life choice and if its what you want go for it... Don't let people choose your life for you or you will regret every decision you ever make. On the aspect of having nothing out of it...Allot of employers from my own research respect the occupation and the discipline gained. No reference is better then an army reference, as well as educational aspects what I am looking into as well.

Hi everyone! I am 14 and I've come to the point where I want to know what I should do for the rest of my life, and I'm thinking army. I've always had an interest in the army so if I did join it would be like a dream come true  ;), But I was thinking if you guys could provide me with some info that'd be great. I've been doing some research and I've found Combat Engineer, Medical Tech, and Weapons Tech the most appealing. I'd like to know the ups and downs of military life and the benefits and stuff, just general background knowledge and experience. 1 more thing I have a lazy left eye how will this affect me if I do join. THANKS IN ADVANCE (Sry for long message  :-[)

At 14, you might want to take a serious look at Cadets.....great exposure, good team building and give a good sense of the kind of attitude it takes to succeed in the CF.

I have three sons in the CF and they all attended cadets for varying lengths of time. They all found it worked for them.

Nothing much to tell you, but here's some starter tips that can get you prepared for a Military Career.

Army Cadets
Canadian Force Reserves [16 Years +]

There is a very good Search Function here. It has not been functioning for several days, and I do not know if the problem has been sorted or not yet. Normally you could find the answers to almost any question by using that. In the meantime, keep reading through other threads.

I would agree with army cadets.  Also, give it your all in highschool.  Great grades and army cadets will put you in a really good place. So when your 18 and graduated, if your still focused to join the military, you will have a great head start.

Don't be like me and drop out in grade 11, float from job to job, go to trades school for 2 years... THEN decide you want to pursue that dream of serving in the Military.

Make a plan, and stick to that plan.  Don't get caught up in the guns and glory stuff. Focus on your education and join the army cadets.

Thats just my  :2c:

good luck young fellar!!

SET said:
Don't be like me and drop out in grade 11, float from job to job, go to trades school for 2 years... THEN decide you want to pursue that dream of serving in the Military.
I thought I was the only one who did that.  :rofl:

Last I heard earliest recruitment is at age 16? You need parental consent to do so? If you need true questions go onto forces.ca you can call nearest recruiter OR e-mail them. Either case I would suggest talking to a recruiter.

silentspanky said:
Last I heard earliest recruitment is at age 16? You need parental consent to do so? If you need true questions go onto forces.ca you can call nearest recruiter OR e-mail them. Either case I would suggest talking to a recruiter.

DON'T QUIT HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

Teflon said:
DON'T QUIT HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

What he said - you'll regret it later (I'm sure you're tired of hearing this - so I won't expand on it).

However - while you are still IN High School, you can look at the Reserves (once you're 16).  Can anybody on here outline the co-op programme?  Is it still running?  What does it entail?  It sounds like it may be tailor made for this fella' (once he turns 16).  Unfortunately - I've only heard about it, so I don't know details.

For the original poster - best of luck to you, no matter what you decide to do.  Remember that knowledge is power - and right now, the path to knowledge is only open to you if you complete your basic schooling.

Roy

As I initially said speak with a recruiter. They will be the ones to say what you need to prepare for. And there IS co-op programs for schools (High school) so you would have to ask your local HS.

PLUS: It pays to be in school because based on courses with the CF, IE: To be a cook you need advanced math and advanced english. Which is why I suggest speaking with a recruiter so what trade you want, you can achieve in school by working hard at.

You can do summer school to fly by in high school, go to a adult ed center which is a fast track in finishing school at a very early age, or do a online course to get ahead of the game. Only do these 3 options if you really consider to do this. And if your dedicated and smart enough to do so.

School IS and ALWAYS will be important. No matter what anyone says. Trust me, I know. Either case, get info from a recruiter in which trade you want to pursuit. Get the required courses for it, *In case you may to do university or college courses, or need required academics.*

Roy Harding said:
What he said - you'll regret it later (I'm sure you're tired of hearing this - so I won't expand on it).

However - while you are still IN High School, you can look at the Reserves (once you're 16).  Can anybody on here outline the co-op programme?  Is it still running?  What does it entail?  It sounds like it may be tailor made for this fella' (once he turns 16).  Unfortunately - I've only heard about it, so I don't know details.

For the original poster - best of luck to you, no matter what you decide to do.  Remember that knowledge is power - and right now, the path to knowledge is only open to you if you complete your basic schooling.

Roy

IF I herd some of the reservists correctly last wednesday during weapons cleaning, some of them are in some sort of co-op program, because they where talking to the new guys who just joined the platoon and where saying they could get credits for being there.

So i would guess some form of it is running, and after some googling it seems to be region specific and the reserve force employment section "cannot be found" on the DND site 

A number of Co-Op programs exist where Reserve candidates can get high school credits for their BMQ, SQ, and even in some units their DP1 course.  It's a great program really, I think it's half a day at school, half a day at the armoury doing the course - and unlike other co-ops, it actually pays.

It's definitely a unit-specific thing though, but your local recruiters will likely know about it - and Reserve recruiters surely will.  High school guidance/co-op folks likely will too.

CEEBEE501 said:
IF I herd some of the reservists correctly last wednesday during weapons cleaning, some of them are in some sort of co-op program, because they where talking to the new guys who just joined the platoon and where saying they could get credits for being there.

So i would guess some form of it is running, and after some googling it seems to be region specific and the reserve force employment section "cannot be found" on the DND site

The COOP program here in Toronto is 1 day in school (Monday) and 4 days in Uniform at the regiment.. This goes for the whole semester and the students get reserve recruit pay as well as the training. However they must still meet all the requirments for the Reserves with regards to Age, education and Citizenship. It's a good program because when they are done in June they can stay in a Reserve unit or walk away.

Roy Harding said:

However - while you are still IN High School, you can look at the Reserves (once you're 16).  Can anybody on here outline the co-op programme?  Is it still running?  What does it entail?

Roy

I will elaberate on this SINCE im currently in the hole proceess for and waiting to hear the final word if im in or not.
Anyways It consists's of ( well in my city) you go to you're unit and well you do your basic, get paid, get experience, get highschool credits. You go to shiloh twice for the range, you live 5 days at the armouries you go camping 5 days ( easier said then done.)
Mentioned earlier you (obviously) get the basic, and you can continue on in the reserves if you choose to do so. depending on where your from this may be a great option if you continue to stay in the reserves(even if you don't it will look good on a resume provided you finish of course)
But in till then cadets would give you a great out look on military life.
The co-op progame would be an ammazing choice i know im pumped!
If i screwd up on anything correct me im kind of out of it today.

FDO said:
The COOP program here in Toronto is 1 day in school (Monday) and 4 days in Uniform at the regiment..

odd, at my town its all week ( afternoon only) and once every 2 weeks you have an inschool session.

Back