• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Half-Marathon training programs

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just signed up for my first half in July, and I was wondering if anyone knows any good training programs?  I can do 10k in an alright time (about 48-50 mins) and occasionally run 15-16k, but my calves start feeling it around the 13k mark when wearing my Vibram Fivefingers.  If I wear normal running shoes though, my knees start hurting at 5-6k so I'm reluctant to run in those again. 

Thanks!

If you have a Running Room in your area, go check them out. Not only can they give advice on a program, you could join a running group .

There are opinions on training for a 1/2 marathon from A to Z.  It's best to talk to someone who can tailor something to your specific starting point and goals.

I have run a bunch of 1/2 marathons , full marathons and even a couple Army mountain man / iron man competitions. But what works for me, might not work for you.

Running Room.  Trust me.

technophile said:
If you have a Running Room in your area, go check them out. Not only can they give advice on a program, you could join a running group .

There are opinions on training for a 1/2 marathon from A to Z.  It's best to talk to someone who can tailor something to your specific starting point and goals.

I have run a bunch of 1/2 marathons , full marathons and even a couple Army mountain man / iron man competitions. But what works for me, might not work for you.

Running Room.  Trust me.

I second this.

And when you visit a Running Room ask for the book called Running by John Stanton. 

Thanks folks.  I'm not in Canada at the moment so there isn't a Running Room around, but I'll look around for the closest equivalent. 

Search the internet, there are countless articles and other information out there on "Half marathon running progrgams"

Rule of thumb, 10% for 3 weeks.

That is increase your mileage 10% for 3 weeks then step back for a week then continue forward.

Think like this:
Week 1 30kms total 2 shorter runs, then a longer one.  so 8k 8k 14k
Week 2 33kms 4 runs 2 shorter, 1 interval/hills 1 longer
Week 3 37 kms
Week 4 30 kms 8km, 8km 14kms

Your longest run should be 21kms at least 1 time about 3 weeks from race day.

Taper the week of your race, include lots of walking and stretching this week as well as lots of hydration.

If your knees are sore running in real running shoes you are likely in the wrong ones, the 5-fingers are good for shorter runs but will take you longer to get to the distances you want since your body has to adapt to the running without impact resistance.

This is from a marathon/half finisher, PB half is 1:42 not fast but I've got the medals.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml

Training plans for people who want to run a half marathon and can run 10 km already.

How's the training going?  Have you sorted out your calf issue?

I decided (smartly) to go to the local version of Running Room and get some shoes properly fitted instead of the VFFs I've been using.  I've done some short 5k runs and a "full" Half distance to see if my legs could keep up.  Surprisingly, I did the 21k in just under 2 hours on hilly terrain; the actual Half is around an airport so it's supposedly very flat.

The shoes (Saucony Mirages in a blindingly-bright lime green, thank you very much) are amazing.  No major issues with my knees, and nothing too crazy with my calves....well, nothing unexpected after pounding the pavement for 2h.

You all beat me to my point. Five fingers are not made to run half/full marathons (at least not without significant training). You need, and got, some minimalist shoes that provide a small degree of cushioning.

Good luck with your run.

Dimsum said:
The shoes (Saucony Mirages in a blindingly-bright lime green, thank you very much) are amazing.  No major issues with my knees, and nothing too crazy with my calves....well, nothing unexpected after pounding the pavement for 2h.

If you want to go a little lighter, try a pair of Saucony Kinvara.  I'm currently on my 6th pair and getting about 600 - 700km mileage out of each.  I ran three halfs in the past 6 weeks and they never let me down.  I've also run fulls in them.  They are a minimalist shoe so you have to break into them a bit, but the Mirage is apparently a good transition shoe to train in before getting into Kinvara.

Good luck on the race!

26point2 said:
If you want to go a little lighter, try a pair of Saucony Kinvara.  I'm currently on my 6th pair and getting about 600 - 700km mileage out of each.  I ran three halfs in the past 6 weeks and they never let me down.  I've also run fulls in them.  They are a minimalist shoe so you have to break into them a bit, but the Mirage is apparently a good transition shoe to train in before getting into Kinvara.

Good luck on the race!
Where did you buy Saucony?
I couldn't find it in local shops.

Off the top of my head, Running Room and Sport Chek (hope that's not construed as advertising ... ).

Back