• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Halifax Rifles returned to Order of Battle?

CountDC said:
This is something that the Halifax Rifles have been fighting a long time for.  Can't see them being an infantry unit - not much use having 2 of them in Halifax. More likely Recon.

The recruiting base is a good point.  You already have Air Reserve in Shearwater, Stone Frigate at the Dockyards, Service Bn, Med Pl, Arty, Pl Fus, Int Coy, Band, Comms, Brigade and Area HQ. Don't think I missed anyone.

We have the same issue in Ottawa... Two infantry regiments downtown at Cartier Square, a bunch of support trades and the engineers out at Walkley Road, artillery and NavRes at Dows Lake. The Camerons have been trying to set up a new company in the west end, out near Kanata, but finding the people (especially NCOs) to sustain a rifle Coy long enough to establish a self-sufficient West-end recruiting presence is tough. I could see the same thing being an issue in Halifax. Probably smarter to go after the north side of the harbour, or maybe aim for a Bedford/Lower Sackville recruiting base.

[quote author=dapaterson]With about 18 000 people in Whuitehorse, how big a unit can the community sustain?[/quote]

There's a bloody good question right there. To which I would add, where will the leadership and full time staff come from? They can only send so many guys RSS to Whitehorse... And I doubt the community has a slew of former reserve Sgts and MCpls kicking around looking for emplyoment on Thursdays.

CountDC said:
This is something that the Halifax Rifles have been fighting a long time for.  Can't see them being an infantry unit - not much use having 2 of them in Halifax. More likely Recon.

The recruiting base is a good point.  You already have Air Reserve in Shearwater, Stone Frigate at the Dockyards, Service Bn, Med Pl, Arty, Pl Fus, Int Coy, Band, Comms, Brigade and Area HQ. Don't think I missed anyone.

You covered most of the bases, but there is a definite absence of Armour.

No matter what the Recruiting base may be in Halifax, maybe not everyone wants to be Infantry.  There has been no opportunities for those wanting to join Armour, unless they wanted to drive over to the Charlottetown or Sackville/Moncton.  Now the opportunity to join the Armour Corps will be offered to the Halifax and area recruiting base.

Privateer said:
The "Halifax Armoured Rifles"?

No need to add Armoured..when they were disbanded they already were an armoured regiment

Brihard said:
I could see the same thing being an issue in Halifax. Probably smarter to go after the north side of the harbour, or maybe aim for a Bedford/Lower Sackville recruiting base.

The MP's are now relocated in Sackville.

Colin P said:
Which existing infantry unit is up there? perhaps the media misquoted and meant that a existing unit down south will have sub unit created in Yellowknife?

I am pleased about the Yellowknife part, but would want to see new resources to man and maintain each unit.

I believe it's the phrasing that's unclear.  It should read something like "the CF is creating a new Company-sized sub-unit in Yellowknife, to be assigned to one of Land Force Western Area’s existing Reserve Force Infantry Battalions."

Gee, almost as if the press release was drafted in a hurry...

I concure dapaterson as it seems that parliment will be dissolved on Sunday.

EDITED TO FIX A MEMBERS NAME  :brickwall:

There's another thread where you can read the press release from the PMO, inviting the media to watch the PM go from 24 Sussex Drive to Rideau Hall on Sunday to request the dissolution of Parliament.  So it's a pretty safe bet...

Ex-Dragoon said:
No need to add Armoured..when they were disbanded they already were an armoured regiment

I know that.  However, today there are only two Armour Regiments in the Maritimes to serve LFAA.  The PEIR and the 8 CH (M).  There are no Armour Units in NS.  How many Reserve Bdes are there in LFAA?

On another note, how many other documents has the Minister finally gotten around to putting his signature on? 

George Wallace said:
I know that.  However, today there are only two Armour Regiments in the Maritimes to serve LFAA.  The PEIR and the 8 CH (M).  There are no Armour Units in NS.  How many Reserve Bdes are there in LFAA?

On another note, how many other documents has the Minister finally gotten around to putting his signature on? 

Was addressing Privateers post, from the looks of it he was confused on whether HR were an armoured regiment

George Wallace said:

There are 2 Brigades in LFAA 36 and 37. PEIR belongs to 36 and 8CH belongs to 37

Haha if they make it an armd recce unit it sure as hell won't have any vehicles!

I understand a flurry of documents made it off the MND's desk recently - almost as if her were clearing it off...

And at that I'll go into a listening watch on this thread... a bit too close to home...

NFLD Sapper said:
There are 2 Brigades in LFAA 36 and 37. PEIR belongs to 36 and 8CH belongs to 37

So we have the PLF, WNSR, NSR NSH in NS, the RNBR in NB, and the RNFldR in Nfld.  Seems to me I was missing something.   Maybe not.

[Edit for a Brain Fart in the North Novies title.]

Ex-Dragoon said:
Was addressing Privateers post, from the looks of it he was confused on whether HR were an armoured regiment

......and it snowballed.    ;D

George Wallace said:
So we have the PLF, WNSR, NSR in NS, the RNBR in NB, and the RNFldR in Nfld.  Seems to me I was missing something.   Maybe not.

Looking for a complete break down of units the Brigades?

Lets see if I got this one right....

36 CBG

Prince Edward Island Regiment
1st Field Regiment RCA (Halifax-Dartmouth) 
84th Independant Field Battery 
45th Field Engineer Squadron 
The Princess Louise Fusiliers 
The West Nova Scotia Regiment 
1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North) 
2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton) 
33 (Halifax) Service Battalion
35 (Sydney) Service Battalion
33 (Halifax) Field Ambulance 

37 CBG
1st Bn The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton and York) Saint John, Fredericton, and Edmundston, N.B.
2nd Bn The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (North Shore) Bathurst and Campbellton, N.B.
1st Bn The Royal Newfoundland Regiment St. John's, N.L
2nd Bn The Royal Newfoundland Regiment Cornerbrook, N.L
B Coy 2nd Bn The Royal Newfoundland Regiment Grand Falls-Windsor, N.L
C Coy 2nd Bn The Royal Newfoundland Regiment Stephenville, N.L
115 Bty 3rd Field Artillery Regiment RCA Saint John, New Brunswick
89 Bty 3rd Field Artillery Regiment RCA Woodstock, New Brunswick
The 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) Moncton, New Brunswick
B Sqn The 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) Sussex, New Brunswick
56 Field Engineer Squadron (56 FES) St. John's N.L

Brihard said:
OK, this is probably a very stupid question given the name of the regiment, but will they actually be based in Halifax? Is there enough of a recruiting base to do so without boning the PLF? Are they going to maybe set up the new regiment in Dartmouth or Bedford so as to widen the recruiting base a bit and save some people a commute? Or will they stand it up as a second reserve Armoured regiment in 36 CBG?

I don't see any obvious gaps in the 36 CBG ORBAT, so this is a curious move. I would have thought that simply increasing the authorized strength of existing units would have been suitable; maybe another platoon each authorized for PLF, WNSR, and the NSH. Add more effective strength without having to add a new battalion staff and orderly room.

Oh well. I'm sure someone's thought it through. At the end of the day it's still good news.

The PLF has mbrs from ALL area's of the HRM...I don't think they will have a problem because in recent years they actually had a waiting list of people who wanted to join but they were already full.  I doubt you will see this unit stand up as a PRes Armd Recce unit, but thats not up to me.  However, the name Halifax Rifles suggests infantry, does it not??

I believe the expansion of existing units has already happened to the point they are allowed.  Creating more spots in the existing units is one thing; finding people to fill them is another.  I haven't been at 36 CBG HQ for over 2 years now, but I know there was some inability at some outlying units to fill every position; we all know how Reserve units get their funding...so of course all the COs want to see as many troops on the ground as possible.

I do know that 36 CBG now has a "Bde Recruiting" concept set up, whereas before each unit had a recruiter that recruited for their unit, and reported to a CWO in our G1 shop but now there is a "36 Bde Recruiting" concept, so you could be talking to a Sgt from 1st Fd about getting into the Svc Bn, type of deal.  From what I've been told, it has been working very well so far, but that was last fall that I last talked to someone in that office.  I'll have to fire off a few emails and see what the scoop is.

Back