• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
UK Modern Slavery Act 2015

Australia Modern Slavery Act 2018

Canada Modern Slavery Act 2023

The US is working the problem as are the Kiwis and the EU.

Except that this isn’t only a Canadian, or even a new issue. As countries get wealthier and standard of living goes up, usually the number of children per couple goes down.

Having large families means that one of the parents essentially stops working. It would be a hard sell to the younger generation to say to them that they should pursue education and work, but then stop working to raise a large family.

We should definitely convince people that there is a future worth living, but not having kids doesn’t mean that those folks are doom and gloom about the future. I personally believe that the ”traditional” view has been so ingrained that some folks had kids despite really not wanting them, out of cultural pressures - think about how many parents urge their children (as adults) to have children so they can be grandparents. Also, some folks expect their kids to take care of them in their old age, despite how they were as parents to them.

But I digress.

Digression acknowledged.

The issue of having large families also involves birth control and abortions. I have no problem with people that don't want families. But I know of a number of youngsters that would like to have a family if only they found circumstances better than they perceive them.

In my view the answer to all of the declining birth rate, abortion rates and immigration rates are all much of the same thing. Make it easier for women to have both children and a life. Support youngsters that get pregnant, intentionally or otherwise and don't shun, shame and ostracize them. Adjust their educational assistance, their medical and community support, the support they get from their parents to help raise the grand kids.

Digression ends pro tem.

Edit - about 80 to 100,000 abortions a year.
Number of abortions in Canada by territory and provider 2021 | Statista

Currently, annual immigration in Canada amounts to around 500,000 new immigrants – one of the highest rates per population of any country in the world. As of 2022, there were more than eight million immigrants with permanent residence living in Canada - roughly 20 percent of the total Canadian population.

Last edited:
I wouldn't either until after I was elected.
Because, as the comment immediately preceding yours shows, even Canada's defenders welcome with open arms the demise of their own nation?
Except that this isn’t only a Canadian, or even a new issue. As countries get wealthier and standard of living goes up, usually the number of children per couple goes down.

Having large families means that one of the parents essentially stops working. It would be a hard sell to the younger generation to say to them that they should pursue education and work, but then stop working to raise a large family.

We should definitely convince people that there is a future worth living, but not having kids doesn’t mean that those folks are doom and gloom about the future. I personally believe that the ”traditional” view has been so ingrained that some folks had kids despite really not wanting them, out of cultural pressures - think about how many parents urge their children (as adults) to have children so they can be grandparents. Also, some folks expect their kids to take care of them in their old age, despite how they were as parents to them.

But I digress.
The current state of affairs, in effect, means the end of positive-sum migration before 2100 and extinction of humanity within 30 generations.

It is simply untenable, no matter what one's political views are.

I honestly do not know what in the world you're talking about when you pretend that culture is forcing people to have kids. It is exactly the opposite. Our culture encourages individualism, materialism, alienation (mental or social), sterilization, divorce and abortion.

I honestly do not know what in the world you're talking about when you pretend that culture is forcing people to have kids. It is exactly the opposite. Our culture encourages individualism, materialism, alienation (mental or social), sterilization, divorce and abortion.
Canadian (and by that I mean Caucasian North American) culture, sure.

I’m a 2nd generation (born here, parents immigrated) person of colour and from my experience, as well as from other POC friends, we are still pressured to have kids. I’m ambivalent and my partner is leaning towards not having them, and parts of my family are not taking it well.

Anyways, back to the main topic…

To sum up my points re Hamas - Hamas and their friends have strong philosophical differences with the Enlightened Liberal West. And they are making it abundantly clear that they are willing to fight to return to the status quo ante.

They don't like our liberal teachers any more than we like their religious teachers.

The argument I am getting back is that Israel bombing apartments in Gaza and oppressing Palestinians = Hamas’ heinous acts of depravity. Or “Israeli soldiers also kill people in their homes, rape women on the street next to the bodies of their friends and kidnap babies”. I don’t know how to respond except to look at them like they have 3 heads.

It’s like arguing with a Trump supporter. They live in a completely different reality.

The argument I am getting back is that Israel bombing apartments in Gaza and oppressing Palestinians = Hamas’ heinous acts of depravity. Or “Israeli soldiers also kill people in their homes, rape women on the street next to the bodies of their friends and kidnap babies”. I don’t know how to respond except to look at them like they have 3 heads.

It’s like arguing with a Trump supporter. They live in a completely different reality.
It’s like people not longer can critically think, and understand that there are degrees of actions.
Nothing is simply black and white, and there needs to be understanding of the gradations of gray.

I would ask where they got their info from, and if it’s www . definitelynotHamasPropaganda . Com

That was explained a long time ago.

: the people who voted for Trump and will vote for him or his surrogate again, in 2020 and in 2024 and beyond, don't care about the data because it doesn't address their issues, their feelings.

I don’t know how to respond except to look at them like they have 3 heads.

Big rally in Mississauga today. Lots of shouting.

Are those frogmen swimming as combatants, or survivors from a wrecked vessel? Because this sorta looks like Israel ripping around near blown up boats machinegunning shipwrecked survivors. If that’s the case, it’s a war crime.
Only if they are "survivors", and not trying to fight... but it's cool that you always seem to be on the "Israel bad" train.

How much ladder do you need?
High Horse.jpg

Only if they are "survivors", and not trying to fight... but it's cool that you always seem to be on the "Israel bad" train.

How much ladder do you need?
View attachment 80701

Eat a bag of dicks. War crimes are bad in all cases regardless of who commits them. What Hamas did at that start of this was utterly horrendous - unequivocally exceptionally grave war crimes - and I fully support Israel’s right to defend themselves. They have a lawful right to use military force in defense of their nation and people. Hamas provided clear grounds for Israel to lawfully prosecute a war against them; to my mind, Jus Ad Bello is satisfied. I recognize and accept that that will be messy. I trust I make that clear enough but I can break it down even dumber and in shorter words for you if you need me to.

In the conduct of hostilities, however, there are still rules to be observed. The protection of those who are hors de combat from deliberate attack is very solidly entrenched in both customary international law and treaties.

Before us we see a video of, initially, Israel shooting up a powered vessel that is then seen to burn. No issue there. Flllowing this it cuts to colour footage of small boats zipping around, firing GPMG, rifles, and grenades at people who are in the water. They appear pretty close to the burning boat and very far from shore. It is possible that combat divers were accompanying the boat. If they remained combatants, fair enough. If, however, they were survivors from the destroyed vessel and offering no resistance, there’s a legal obligation to protect them, or at least to not try to kill them in the water.

I’m not sure how much law of armed conflict training you get in your trade. In the one I served in, it’s something we occasionally had to learn up on and pay heed to, and I’ve taken courses on it outside of the military as well. If you take issue me being concerned that a video may portray potential war crimes (you’ll note I said “it looks like”) - too bad. It’s not much of a high horse to say it’s wrong to deliberately attack those who are hors de combat, if, as I suspect (but am not certain), the video portrays that.

Back