• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
I Dare You Go On GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

I don't. Much of the world trade goes through the Straight of Hormuz, and as much as 30% of the world's crude. Iran has the capability to lock down that area.

I can see Iran getting involved can risk escalating this to a more global incident.

There, FTFY ;)
I think you’re greatly underestimating Iran’s ability to hit ships in the strait with shore based weapons. I’m sure Iran has made sure to develop a resilient capability to do that, and that they’ve made that fact known. And after all- they don’t need to prove it much; they just need Lloyds to chicken out on insuring the risk.

I think you’re greatly underestimating Iran’s ability to hit ships in the strait with shore based weapons. I’m sure Iran has made sure to develop a resilient capability to do that, and that they’ve made that fact known. And after all- they don’t need to prove it much; they just need Lloyds to chicken out on insuring the risk.
Followed very shortly after that all of Iran's limited refining capacity ceases to exist, along with any petroleum import/export terminals.

Followed very shortly after that all of Iran's limited refining capacity ceases to exist, along with any petroleum import/export terminals.
Potentially. Although the point of a deterrent capability is to hopefully not have to use it, while yet convincing adversaries that you’re willing to. Iran has the requisite craziness for that.

I don't. Much of the world trade goes through the Straight of Hormuz, and as much as 30% of the world's crude. Iran has the capability to lock down that area.

I can see Iran getting involved can risk escalating this to a more global incident.
Iran has the ability to interdict the Straight.

Lock it down is not really accurate, as they don’t have the ability to do that against the USN, if the USN is willing to erase them.

One doesn’t want to be playing brinkmanship in the area right about now.

Potentially. Although the point of a deterrent capability is to hopefully not have to use it, while yet convincing adversaries that you’re willing to. Iran has the requisite craziness for that.
At this point I think Iran is aware they are on a number of target boards.
It’s been publicly confirmed that the USG has communicated with Iran to pull their neck in least it be chopped off.

This, from CNN's Live Updates is exactly the type of thing that makes this type of operation so politically risky for Israel.

Palestinian health ministry says an estimated 200 to 300 people killed in Israeli strike on hospital in Gaza​

From Abeer Salman and Tamar Michaelis

Fire in the vicinity of the Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital following an Israeli strike.
Fire in the vicinity of the Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital following an Israeli strike. Obtained by CNN

Preliminary estimates indicate between 200 to 300 people were killed in an Israeli strike on a hospital in the center of Gaza City, the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said in a statement Tuesday, noting many people still remained beneath the rubble.
The Palestinian government in Gaza said in an earlier statement that the strike on the Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital had resulted in dozens of deaths.
“A new war crime committed by the occupation in the bombing of Al-Ahli Arabi Hospital in the center of Gaza City, resulting in the arrival of dozens of martyrs and injured at Al-Shifa Medical Complex due to the bombing. It should be noted that the hospital housed hundreds of patients, wounded, and displaced people from their homes forcibly due to the airstrikes,” the government statement said.
Hamas released a statement on the strike, calling it a "genocide."
“The Al-Ahli Hospital Massacre in the heart of Gaza Strip is a genocide. Enough silence on the aggression and recklessness of the occupation,” Hamas said in a statement.
Israel Defense Forces spokesperson Daniel Hagari said the IDF is looking into the reported strike, saying since it was fairly recent, the IDF is still unclear whether the hospital was hit by an Israeli Air Force (IAF) strike or failed Hamas launch.
Note the last line of the article. I'm willing to bet though that for the most part the political damage is done even if the cause turns out to be something other than an IDF bomb.

This, from CNN's Live Updates is exactly the type of thing that makes this type of operation so politically risky for Israel.

Note the last line of the article. I'm willing to bet though that for the most part the political damage is done even if the cause turns out to be something other than an IDF bomb.

Yep.

Screenshot_20231017_170654_Fox News.jpg

Back