• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry and William and their military service.

Excellent point Allan I wholeheartedly agree,
For all the gripes about the Royals in North America, we have our own sort of "Royalty" here (uber-celebrities, Pro-athletes, politicians with weird cults) and you will rarely see them or their children serving. (Pat Tillman Being a proud exception) But the Royal family walks the walk when it comes to national pride, and I have to ask what I'd rather have if I had to choose.

Allan,
You're right - mr Trudeau served in 2Fd RCA during his Bachelor studies.

Hasn't been much Canadian "royalty" in the services since WW2 though.

Hear on the news this morning that Prince Harry will probably be sent to Iraq when he is trained and joins his Regiment.  Probably land up patrolling the Iran/Iraq Border area.

George Wallace said:
Hear on the news this morning that Prince Harry will probably be sent to Iraq when he is trained and joins his Regiment.  Probably land up patrolling the Iran/Iraq Border area.
Confirmation of the above.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=bf26ef7b-8fed-4a22-8472-e321e2887c3b

Prince Harry to be sent to Iraq

CanWest News Service

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

LONDON - Prince Harry is to be sent to Iraq next year as a troop commander and is likely to patrol the hazardous border with Iran, defence sources have disclosed.

The Daily Telegraph has learned that the third-in-line to the throne will join the Army's 1st Mechanised Brigade, which will be deployed to Basra in May 2007. The prince has told colleagues that he is determined to go on operations and be treated as normally as possible -- not kept out of the line of fire.

As a troop commander in the Blues and Royals, the prince will have the rank of cornet, equivalent to a second lieutenant, in charge of 11 men and four light tanks.

© The Edmonton Journal 2006

How do you suppose the troops under his command would address him? Would it be "Sir" or "Your Majesty"?

Just curious

Devlin said:
How do you suppose the troops under his command would address him? Would it be "Sir" or "Your Majesty"?

Just curious

Traditionally it is "Sir", or in this case "Cornet Wales".

"Oi! Harry!"

"Yo, Cornet Wales, please sort out my pay problem"

;D

It'd be awesome to have Price Harry as the junior subbie though. The potential for subbie pranks is just off the chart.

"Oi, 'Arry! Let's go visit your gramma!"

DG

Prince Harry would never by addressed as Your Majesty.

Your Majesty is only ever used for a King or Queen.

His Royal Highness, Prince Henry...... etc will be addressed as Sir or 2Lt Wales just like any other officer.

i think there should be a canadian branch of the royal family, if that makes sense to you guys. maybe prince adrew and his family should move here and be the monarchy's presence and play the governor generals roll. just a thought.....im tired of seing well to do, washed up tv reporters getting that job. wat do you guys think?

UNLESS.......DON CHERRY was our GG...wow would that be amazing.

Crown-Loyal said:
i think there should be a canadian branch of the royal family, if that makes sense to you guys. maybe prince adrew and his family should move here and be the monarchy's presence and play the governor generals roll. just a thought.....im tired of seing we'll to do washed up tv reporters getting that job. wat do you guys think?

Search on "canadian royalty"

Retain the Monarchy in Canada? - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26126.0.html

Pieman said:
The suggestion from a friend of mine who is a Political science prof, is the following: (I think he was semi-serious too  Undecided)

1) Canada gets rid of the current Governor general by inviting Prince William over to take her place. IMHO no one relates to her at all anyway.
2) We set William up with the most beautiful french Canadian girl we can find and watch sparks fly.
3) We move them into some historical castle and let them reside there.

.... and 20 pages of compiled responses.

Only  20 pages Michael.....

I thought we had done better than that. ;)

Crown-Loyal said:
i think there should be a canadian branch of the royal family, if that makes sense to you guys. maybe prince adrew and his family should move here and be the monarchy's presence and play the governor generals roll. just a thought.....im tired of seing well to do, washed up tv reporters getting that job. wat do you guys think?

Sounds like a great idea!

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=560422006&source=somnia

Looks like Harry is all geared up for his military career now.

Any idea what William wants to do as he is at Sandhurst as well?

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/RoyalOccasionAsPrinceHarryGraduatesFromSandhurst.htm

Royal occasion as Prince Harry graduates from Sandhurst
12 Apr 06
His Royal Highness Prince Harry has graduated as a commissioned officer in the Army today, Wednesday 12 April 2006, at a parade reviewed by his grandmother Her Majesty the Queen, and attended by his brother His Royal Highness Prince William.

Prince Harry with members of the Royal Family at Sandhurst
[Picture: Chris Fletcher, Army]
Today's Sovereign's Parade, held at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, marked the graduation of a new cohort of officers. Harry decided in January that he would like to join the Blues and Royals regiment, a part of the Household Cavalry.

On graduation His Royal Highness becomes a 2nd Lieutenant, a rank referred to in the Blues and Royals as a Cornet. Cornet Wales will now train to become a troop commander, eventually serving in an armoured reconnaissance unit. It is intended that Prince Harry will undertake a full range of deployments – both training and operational.

Her Majesty the Queen was the Reviewing Officer at the parade, the first time Her Majesty has reviewed the parade since 1991. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness Prince Philip arrived at Queen Victoria’s Statue where they were met by the Chief of Staff, Colonel Alick Finlayson.

They then proceeded up the King’s Walk to the saluting dais where they received the Royal Salute. Over 400 cadets were on parade, including 58 women and 42 overseas cadets from 26 foreign countries. 220 cadets, including 23 women and 16 overseas cadets from 11 countries, passed out and received their commissions today, most of whom entered RMAS in May 2005.

Haven't we met before? 2nd Lieutenant Wales sees a familiar face during today's graduation at Sandhurst
Following the Sovereign's Parade HM the Queen made a short speech:

"This is a very special occasion for me, as it is for all of you who are gaining your commissions today. It is also a great occasion for your families and friends. This day marks the beginning of what I hope will be highly successful careers as officers in the British Army or the armies of our friends and allies, and I am pleased to see so many cadets from the Commonwealth and other countries on parade.

"Many people seem to believe that the preparation to become an officer is merely a matter of acquiring some basic understanding of military procedures and of achieving high standards in physical fitness. I believe that there is rather more to it than that. It is also the first step in learning how to become leaders.

"Many talented young people can learn the principles of management; but effective leadership is far more demanding. It will be your success as leaders that will decide the progress of your careers in the Army. It will depend on how you exercise your responsibilities to other people and how you exercise your responsibilities for other people."

Harry's older brother, Officer Cadet W Wales, better known as His Royal Highness Prince William, was among the junior term officer cadets who also attended the event.

At ease; Harry waits his turn during the parade inspection
The original Royal Military Academy (RMA) was established at Woolwich for the training of Artillery and Engineer officers in 1741. Cavalry and Infantry officers were trained at the Royal Military College (RMC), which was founded in 1802 and moved to Sandhurst in 1812.

The RMA and RMC merged after the Second World War to form the present establishment, the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS). The first commissioning parade of the new RMAS was held in 1948 in the presence of His Majesty King George VI, who decreed henceforth that the Parade was to be known as The Sovereign's Parade. The Queen has previously acted as the Reviewing Officer in 1949, 1965, 1985 and 1991. The 1991 Parade was combined with the Presentation of New Colours.

During the parade The Queen also presented the following awards:

The Queen’s Medal, to Junior Under Officer John Jeffcoat, who is to be commissioned into The Royal Gurkha Rifles. The Queen’s Medal is awarded to the officer cadet who gains the most marks in the academic, practical and military tests.
The Overseas Sword, to Junior Under Officer Ahmed Raza Khan of Pakistan. The Overseas Sword is awarded to the overseas officer cadet considered by the Commandant to be the best of the course.
The Sword of Honour, to Junior Under Officer Matt Fyjis-Walker, who is to be commissioned into The Light Dragoons. The Sword of Honour is presented to the officer cadet considered by the Commandant to be the best of the course.

Back