• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has he got a point, is it worth the hassle?

Reminds of the stories such as this you read from time to time:
"Daughter wonders how cops could ticket minivan for weeks - and never notice dad's decomposing body"
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/06/05/2009-06-05_daughter_wonders_how_cops_could_ticket_minivan_for_weeks__and_never_notice_dads_.html

I wonder if the city will try to collect on the unpaid tickets?!

I just always expect if I speed through Quebec and I get caught I will receive a speeding ticket in french.I expect to be talked to in broken english prior to getting that ticket.It has happened before.My ticket was 100% french.It was just outside the national capital region of Quebec.

Maybe they should charge him for being too stupid to figure out 52$ means 52$ in french as well.

X-mo-1979 said:
the national provincial capital region of Quebec.

Fixed that for you.  ;)  I hate that sign on the highway near Quebec City.  National Capital my a$$. :mad: 

Could it not be argued that the only important things on the ticket - the code and the fine - where numbers and therefore not subject to any interpretation of language?

Infanteer said:
Could it not be argued that the only important things on the ticket - the code and the fine - where numbers and therefore not subject to any interpretation of language?

I hear ya, but a good lawyer would argue that the numbers on their own don't mean diddly without the text that explains it all.

I'll like to know how they handle matters like this in Switzerland, a trilingual country. My European French sometimes gets me nowhere in Quebec, unlike my Spanish and German that is fine when used elsewhere of Euope.

ruckmarch said:
I hear ya, but a good lawyer would argue that the numbers on their own don't mean diddly without the text that explains it all.

I'll like to know how they handle matters like this in Switzerland, a trilingual country. My European French sometimes gets me nowhere in Quebec, unlike my Spanish and German that is fine when used elsewhere of Euope.

I presume they print things in 3 languages. On several occasions specialty stores that I go to have imported regular foods (chocolate bars being one of them) from other countries, and they've had 3 or more languages on them.

It comes down to being concise.

PMedMoe said:
Fixed that for you.  ;)  I hate that sign on the highway near Quebec City.  National Capital my a$$. :mad:

Actually Quebec is a nation WITHIN a united Canada.Sorta like the UK.
So Quebec city is a national capital.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061127/quebec_motion_061127/20061127?hub=TopStories

Edit to add:I agree. That sign use to annoy the crap outta me as well.However it is correct now.

X-mo-1979 said:
Actually Quebec is a nation WITHIN a united Canada.Sorta like the UK.
So Quebec city is a national capital.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061127/quebec_motion_061127/20061127?hub=TopStories

Edit to add:I agree. That sign use to annoy the crap outta me as well.However it is correct now.

They can take their "nation" and stick it.  Last I saw, we were still ONE country.  Give it up or go back to France.  Oh right, they won't have you either.  ::)  Anyway, back on topic:  The only official bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.

Back