• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Have a few questions about joining military

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordinator

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello guys, my name is Ros. I have graduated highschool last year and have been working for past 6 months. My parents wanted me to go to University, however for past 3 years I wanted to join military so I refused. I have chosen the following 3 occupations in military that interest me: Marine Engineering Mechanic, Construction Engineering Officer, Infantry Officer or Soldier.  I have sent a letter to forces.ca with few questions I had, my letter was:

Hello, my name is Ros. I am thinking about joining the military, however I am not really sure what occupation I should apply for, three positions that interest me are: Marine Engineering Mechanic, Construction Engineering Officer, Infantry Officer or Soldier. I would just like to know if I need to have any background in Engineering to apply for first 2 positions. Also if I can apply to become an infantry soldier right away, or would I have to become Soldier before I become Officer?

The response I received was:

Good day,

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Forces (CF).

There are three officer entry plans for General Service Officers: DEO, ROTP and CEOTP. If you have an undergraduate degree then DEO is the likely entry plan.  If you do not, then you can either apply to attend RMC or a civilian university through the ROTP or apply under the CEOTP.  The three plans are described below:

a. Direct Entry Officer (DEO): As a minimum, applicants to the Regular Force must have an undergraduate degree in a suitable discipline. A student currently in the final year of a degree program is also eligible to apply as a DEO.

b.  Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP): ROTP is an entry level plan designed to educate and develop for commissioning, selected civilian candidates for service as Regular Forces career officers. Selected ROTP candidates are appointed the rank of officer cadet for the period of their subsidization and commissioned subsequent to successful completion of their academic program and requisite military training. Subsidization is carried out at the Royal Military College (RMC) or at an approved Canadian University and/or affiliated College.

The Canadian Forces will subsidize an ROTP applicant to a maximum of five years. Graduates of the ROTP must serve an obligatory period of service.

c. Continuing Education Officer Training Plan (CEOTP): Periodically, this program is open for those applicants who do not possess an undergraduate degree. Qualifying applicants [Regular Force non-commissioned members (NCMs), members of the Primary Reserve who are eligible for Component Transfer to the Regular Force and civilians] are eligible to apply for entry into the CF under the CEOTP if they meet all regular eligibility criteria and fall into one of the categories below:

-          Have not completed high school but have completed a college diploma;

-          Have not completed high school but have completed a university certificate;

-          Have not completed high school but have completed at least one university or college course;

-          Have a high school equivalency (i.e. GED); or

-          Have graduated from high school.

The key stipulation under the new CEOTP is that you must participate in a program that will lead to a degree within your initial engagement in the CF.

As of 28 March 2011 no officer occupations are available under the CEOTP.

You can only apply for Officer or Non-Commissioned Member, not both.

Should you have any additional questions please contact us by email, chat or the toll-free number below. 

You may apply online at www.forces.ca

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sergeant / Sergent

Canadian Forces National Recruiting Contact Centre

Centre national d’information sur le recrutement des Forces canadiennes

National Defence /Défense nationale

Toll Free / Sans frais:  1 866 966 8718

Facsimile / Télécopieur:  1 705 497 9534

jobs@forces.ca / emplois@forces.ca

Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

I understand this is automated response they send to you regarding questions like this, so I would really appreciate more detailed answer, since I know many people here have served or serve in Canadian Military.

Also 1 more question about Regular Officer Training Plan, how does it begin? Do you do basic training first or go to University first or is it mixed? I live In Winnipeg, Manitoba but I would love to attend Military College instead of the Universities we have here.

Thanks

There's a whole thread here on ROTP. There's 2 types, one is residency at RMC in Kingston and the other is attendance at the accredited university in Canada of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back