• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopter Operations

I can't remember, did we not switch at some point to the ensign from the flag?

Just in case it is a historical painting of some kind (maybe tribal class?), otherwise the pedants will pop up again.

Tribalclass, if it is of the 280s, wouldn't mind a peak at the final product if you don't mind sharing; spent half my career on the 280s.
Indeed - 5 May 2013

I can't remember, did we not switch at some point to the ensign from the flag?

Just in case it is a historical painting of some kind (maybe tribal class?), otherwise the pedants will pop up again.

Tribalclass, if it is of the 280s, wouldn't mind a peak at the final product if you don't mind sharing; spent half my career on the 280s.
OP said in an earlier post that it'll be a Cyclone and a CPF.

Hello Tribalclass.

Didn't realize you wanted the info for painting purposes.

You can ignore most of what you read above. The only important thing is what Humphrey Bogart ultimately gave you: Flag Hotel (square flag, three feet by three feet, split in two halves vertically, left half white, right half red) on the port side outer yardarm, the RAM shapes (three shapes about 2 feet in size separated by three feet, upper most and lowest most are balls, the middle one is diamond shape - basically two cones connected at their base - all shapes are black) at the starboard outer yardarm.

Don't forget that at sea, we fly our national ensign at the gaff, not the stern (the gaff is the little yardarm that is sticking out at 45 degrees towards the back of the ship at about two-thirds of the way up the mast. Our ensign is three feet by six, all white with the Canadian flag in the upper left quarter and with the navy blue RCN pattern fouled anchor with an eagle superimposed centered in the right hand white field.

Good luck with your painting.
Hi Gentlemen,

Thank you again for all your help. What I would like to do justice to, is to honor HMCS Fredericton and her lost Cyclone crew. It will be a challenge as most of my previous paintings were WW2 ships.

I am from a naval family, my Dad retiring as a CPO, serving the RCN in WW2 and Korea. My user name is Tribal Class as Dad survived the sinking of G07, HMCS Athabaskan 1. He also served on HMCS Athabaskan 2 and HMCS Nootka (went to Korea on her). He served on other ships, corvettes, frigates and destroyers. He commissioned G07 and the new Cadillac, HMCS St. Laurent. His final posting was HMCS Cornwallis, base CPO. My grandfather was RN, transferring to the RCN. Both my grandfather was sunk in WW1 and Dad's bother was sunk while serving on HMCS Weyburn.

My Dad passed away 9 years ago. Before he passed, he was visited at home by the CO and Cox'n of HMCS Athabaskan 3 - I believe he was thrilled to be in their company, but dementia may have clouded that day somewhat. While he couldn't remember what he ate an hour before, he could recall in meticulous detail, his early years in the RCN, especially the sinking of G07 in 1944. He was one of the six Athabaskan's picked up by Haida's motor cutter and made the journey across the English Channel.

He loved going to his G07 reunions and even met a crew member of the German ship which sunk G07; he was an invited guest at a GTG. I think he would be thrilled to see the newest ship in our fleet, named after one of the RCN's finest officers, Harry DeWolf. Also, at the 282's 25th anniversary celebration in Halifax, Dad was an invited guest. I tagged along as my mother recently passed. We had the honor to meet a 282 crew member , whose uncle was Lt Cdr John Stubbs, G07's CO who went down with his ship.

My apologies for the long rant. I'll try my best to depict Fredericton and her helicopter the best I can and if it works out, I'll post some picture.

Ready, Aye, Ready

Cheers.

JC

The ensign has always been the ensign, whether it was the White Ensign, the National Flag, or the CNE.

Oh and whatever you do, do not have the Jack hoisted while underway...

Hi Gentlemen,

Thank you again for all your help. What I would like to do justice to, is to honor HMCS Fredericton and her lost Cyclone crew. It will be a challenge as most of my previous paintings were WW2 ships.

I am from a naval family, my Dad retiring as a CPO, serving the RCN in WW2 and Korea. My user name is Tribal Class as Dad survived the sinking of G07, HMCS Athabaskan 1. He also served on HMCS Athabaskan 2 and HMCS Nootka (went to Korea on her). He served on other ships, corvettes, frigates and destroyers. He commissioned G07 and the new Cadillac, HMCS St. Laurent. His final posting was HMCS Cornwallis, base CPO. My grandfather was RN, transferring to the RCN. Both my grandfather was sunk in WW1 and Dad's bother was sunk while serving on HMCS Weyburn.

My Dad passed away 9 years ago. Before he passed, he was visited at home by the CO and Cox'n of HMCS Athabaskan 3 - I believe he was thrilled to be in their company, but dementia may have clouded that day somewhat. While he couldn't remember what he ate an hour before, he could recall in meticulous detail, his early years in the RCN, especially the sinking of G07 in 1944. He was one of the six Athabaskan's picked up by Haida's motor cutter and made the journey across the English Channel.

He loved going to his G07 reunions and even met a crew member of the German ship which sunk G07; he was an invited guest at a GTG. I think he would be thrilled to see the newest ship in our fleet, named after one of the RCN's finest officers, Harry DeWolf. Also, at the 282's 25th anniversary celebration in Halifax, Dad was an invited guest. I tagged along as my mother recently passed. We had the honor to meet a 282 crew member , whose uncle was Lt Cdr John Stubbs, G07's CO who went down with his ship.

My apologies for the long rant. I'll try my best to depict Fredericton and her helicopter the best I can and if it works out, I'll post some picture.

Ready, Aye, Ready

Cheers.

JC
That is not a rant, your father had the most amazing career and I salute him and his mates. Did he ever get to see Haida alongside HMCS STAR in Hamilton?

He did not, however, my brother and I did. A small sampling of his ashes may or may not have been placed on Haida :censored:!!

Back